• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It went through a hole in the ice

danny berg

Couple of years ago, my buddy was up from Arizona and we went to the eel pout festival on Leech, he put his retainer in a cup on a shelf near his bunk. When he woke up the next morning the cup was floating in the hole and the retainer was gone. Needless to say Momma wasn't none to happy. Borrowed a camera from somebody and looked for it. No Luck finding it.

It's incredible, really - if you figure how much area an 8" hole really is - how many things can fall EXACTLY into it!! Last year I dumped a two way radio into one - right in the middle of an Ice Team Trap Attack! 2 years ago it was my cool telescoping ice skimmer, slipped off my tub and zoop, right into the $%@#$%@ hole.

Well I droped my 9mm down the hole I had it on top of my jacket and had to go **** grabed my jacket and it fell right in it happend in slow mo I went in to a panic then calmed my self down then grabed my rod with my trusty angle eye jr and snaged it with the first try Thank god it was in the holster thats what it cought on!!

Wallet & car keys at the same time about 10yrs ago on Mille Lacs.I think that was the first time as an adult I wanted to cry really really bad.Walked to the next house got a ride to shore and called the wife.She had a long drive from Fridley.But she stayed and fished Mille Lacs her first time.

Then to top it off,my brother finally hooked the keys AND my wallet the day we were heading home. grin.gif

------------------
Greg

Hey...I losted my camera off the boat, not down the hole! wink.gif Who was that?

I also told some folks on another "ice fishing" board about the polars going down a 10" hole. They bashed me a little claiming it "could never happen". rolleyes.gif

I dropped myself down a hole in the ice!

We were hunting rabbits along the Crow River many years ago when I was still a lad, it was late December and it had been cold for quite a spell. The temperature the day we were hunting was close to zero.

We wanted to hunt the other side of the river and first the biggest one of us went across, thinking nothing of it, then the next and the next and then me, the lightest of the crew.

"Crash" the ice broke under me, right next to shore, but the water was deep. The only thing that kept me from going under and being swept away by the current, was that it happened so fast, I went down still clutching the shotgun and it wedged on the ice.

My friends got a big branch and were able to pull me out, buton the ride home in the old 49 Plymouth, or Dodge, whichever it was, I got froze up pretty good!

I lost some skin off my toes and my big toenail on one foot, but otherwise, no worse for wear.

My favorite zippo lighter and a handful of ice rods. Nothing too major yet, but I did watch a guy set a full bottle of booze in an ice hole once. At the same time he did it, he said "watch, it floats" Well, it might have if he would have poured us each one first and then put the cap on. It was on the St. Croix River so my only hope is that some lucky person finds it some day drifting up on a beach somewhere. I hated to see good Canadian Club go to waste.

This story was told to me by a neigbor a few years back and I believe him and his son-in-laws account of what happened. His son-in-law and father were angling out of a spear house which was very close to another house where someone was fishing. His son-in-law claimed a black lab exploded out of the hole and climbed into there house and started shaking itself off, the son-in-laws father almost had a heart attack and had to be taken home, he never fished out of a spear house again. The lab had supposidly fallen into the hole and got under the ice in the other spear house, and got disorientated and ended up in there spear house.

I have angled out of a spear house and have had musk rats come out of the hole onto the floor and that is quite a shock, I cant even imagine what went through that old mans mind when a dog appeared.

Ron

I lost probably 4 ice scoops through the ice on Red Lake last winter, 1 or 2 flashlights, and the most horrifying thing i have ever lost to the hole was a can of beer. We managed to catch our buddies rattle reel and tied a beer to his line, well when he walked back into his house, we atrted playing the line like he had a fish and sent the beer but it never made it there ;-(

I was wondering if anyone has lost something they really liked through a hole in the ice. Last year i was walking out on a metro lake, i drilled a hole gave the auger to my buddy so he could drill his, as i looked down, my sunglasses happen to fall. Right through the hole. they were the cool ones, the big Maverick sunglasses the cops where. i loved them. i bought a new pair, but i'll never look through a hole in the ice with them on again.

------------------
My dad looks like Al Linder, does that make me a better fisherman?
I believe so.

Wait, wait. I think we are all missing something. How does one person lose 2 trucks and one ATV thru the ice?

Only thing Ive ever lost thru the ice is my imagination. Ice fishing has replaced it. Now I close my eyes and instead of dreams, its thoughts of new augers I dont need and new shacks I dont need. Wife asked if ice fishing is all I think about. I told her she has asked my that same question about hunting and sex.

In 1992 while fishing Minnewawa in McGregor, I was fishing with my buddy out of a portable. It was just about dusk and we were getting our lanterns started. I got mine going and turned to help him when my foot kicked my lantern down the hole. I tied on a Swedish Pimple and after a couple of jigs, I hooked the handle and brought it back to the surface. I put a couple new mantles on and it fired right up. I'm still using that lantern.

The Spook

Is the Black Lab story actually true? I have heard that one for years but who really knows, guess it could really happen.

Ouch!!! 2 trucks and an ATV? What is the final cost of pulling a vehicle out of the drink? I've dropped rods, tackle, chisel and unfortuneatly the truck keys out on Red.

Last winter on Red Lake I managed to some how pass out in my chair and woke up to a splash, so I jump down to the hole figuring that a slab had taken my rod. Nope, rod still there and with my face about 4 inches from the floor trying to figure out what the heck it was...I realized I didn't have my glasses anymore...sure made for a long 4 hour drive home. That trip was expensive...