• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cigarettes or chew?

My uncle smokes like a chimney in his same stand for the past I don't know how many years. Consistently shoots at least one deer/season out of that stand. Butts in pop cans that he brings in each night. Biggest deer I shot I was in the stand on my lunch - can of mountain dew and a cig - deer walked right out standing broadside. My uncle says the same thing repeated here, deer are not afraid of the smell of smoke.

I'm not sure whether or not that it was posted on this site, but last year I read of someone who couldn't sit more than 30 minutes without a chew. He would switch to AppleJack chew during deer season and would see more deer because of the Apple aroma in the air. I can usually deal with not having a chew in the stand, but if I feel the urge, I definitely have a spitter and make sure that I don't have one in within an hour before primetime.

I've tried sitting without chew\smokes and it's pretty tough for me. I chew a tin of grizzly a day. This year I'm bringing a spitter (I sometimes just swallow it but that's impossible unless I have something to drink along with it), if they see me raising the spitter to my mouth, fine, at least I'll be on stand rather than walking back to the truck to get a much needed dip or smoke.

Though about also trying a nicotine patch. I wonder if my health insurance covers that sort of thing?

God I don't miss that (having to have a spitter everywhere you go). Dipped for 10 years, the last 3 of it I had a tin of Cope LC a day, quit cold turkey on Sept 14, 2006 at 2:35 PM - that's when I spit out my last dip. I can't tell you how great life is not being addicted to that little tin. You can quit, it is possible. I joined an online quit dip forum and it basically saved my life, my marriage, and my wallet. Google "kill the can" - join up, with the help of that site and the members on there in the same stages of the quit as you, quitting is possible, trust me.

Not trying to preach to any of you dip users, but if you're looking for a way to quit and are serious about it, google it, join up, sack up, and endure the suck for a while and get your life back.

Now, with that said - what is the point of going to all the work to be scent free (washing clothes, cover scents, showering with scent free soap, etc) only to get to your stand and put in a big fatty or light up a cigarette?

It makes me cool. cool

I believe smoking started originally to show you have money to burn. The rich people would sit around and smoke and talk about how much money they made. But that was way before niccotine.

Not sure how chew started but man is that stuff good.

I would like to know the point of smoking/chewing?

It usually starts out when you're young and somebody offers you one and you just "want to be cool", the next thing you know you're a slave to it and are spending thousands of dollars a year on something that can kill you, yet quitting takes every ounce of will power you have. Quitting dip was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but I did it, and I can wake up every day and not have a raw lip, stomach aches, head aches, butt vomit, and disgusting dip cups all over the place. Its nice to not have to wonder if the next dip I put in is the one that is going to give me cancer.

i only chew once in a blue moon when i go dove hunting or im out in the field for some reason gives me something to do. but only once in a great while. did it in the marines when i was out in the desert making friends with CACTUS JACK yeah thats what we named the cactus. we shared our mre with the little mouse we named RUFUS. and the lizard we named PANCHO. but i can go all year without it only doing it once in a blue moon

any foreign odor will be a threat to deer. They are way to smart of animals. ya maybe small deer will walk right in but you are not going to see a mature deer with a foreign odor

Deffinatly not true.. i think sometimes we give deer too much credit, sure there are deer that have been around the block and seen a few tricks but i have seen deer come right into a smokers stand. they wont turn and run yet they will follow the smell right up to the stand. uncle took a 10 pointer last fall and he smokes like you wouldnt believe a pack just in his stand thatmorning hunt...!?!?! unbelievable and that was one of the 3 deer he shot that weekend.

if the wind and atmospheric pressure is right, and you're sitting up 20' in the air, you could s**t your pants and the deer wouldn't know. The stories of deer walking right up to a guy smoking don't usually don't include specifics of the conditions. Mature deer will bolt if they detect anything out of the ordinary. Also some guys just have a hoseshoe up their a**.

I just harvested an 8 pointer last a week and a half ago with a big ole chew in my mouth. 8 yards away and I was on his level, the ground. Wind was blowing 25 mph right at him. Shot my doe with a bow last year with a chew in walked right by me about 3 yards and I had to let her get out in front of my a little to have a better shot angle.

Deer will be on high alert for any foreign smell, yes they are curious and will search hard to see whats entering into their living area. I don't care about the "I shot a deer that was downwind of me with a lit cig" argument. Just cause the deer is downwind doesn't mean that the air around you is going towards him. Usually moring air is sinking to the ground and in the evening your scent is rising. It has to do with atmospheric pressure like has been said.

I chew in the stand and have shot my share of deer, however, I have also had deer make a couple snorts and bolt before I ever had a chance at them. Was it the chew scent? Who knows for sure. Either way I prefer they come in oblivious to any danger versus curious. That said, probably best not to do either. The only problem is addiction.

Best not to do either but I would think chew is better and you can plan it to your advantage. Just by putting a pinch out by your stands for a while before the season this sent is no longer foreign. I used to work with a guy that almost always got a nice deer with an arrow and would put apple pinches at his stand before the season. Tyr not to do either but sitting in a stand makes it hard sometime:)

HITMAN, thats funny, I knew a guy exactly like that as well that also died around that same time, my brother and I use to bowhunt

with him Was it Smiley by chance? He would laugh about how he would sit there having a smoke and how the deer would walk right by. reckon the wind could have been to his advantage though, knowing him I'm pretty sure it was.