• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Mounts

Animal

I have five 13 to 14 inch Black Crappie that I recently caught and have delivered to the taxidermist. I need to advise him of how I want them mounted. I don’t want a stringer or plank mount. I need some ideas. Does anyone have any photos of multiple mounts? I’ve searched Google and I can’t find anything but single fish and plank mounts. Can anyone point me to a HSOforum that has multiple mounts?

I was looking at some of the pics of mounts on the link that rick posted, and I have a question.

Why is it that you almost ALWAYS see fish mounted with their mouths open? I mean every mount you see, their mouth is open.
Does it look that lame to have a mounted fish look natural with it's mouth closed? Fish don't swim around with their mouths open.

------------------
[email protected]
My Hunting and Fishing page

Don't know how much you want to spend but an option would be to mount all five within a coffee table. Sort of an aquarium look. I have seen these before, never priced them however, but they sure are neat looking.

A coffee tabkle mount would be really nice. Good one Kidd! I've seen those done before and they are very cool to have. Depending on how much you want to spend you could go all the way and make a whole underwater surrounding. Might be a little spendy, but worth the investment in my eyes smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I had three crappies mounted that were a little over 14 inches also. I had him mount them on a piece of drift wood but wanted minnows and a hook in two of the fishes mouth. Half of the minnow is sticking out of an open fishes mouth. This taxidermist freeze dried them and they look awesome. Each of the fish is curved and looking in a different directions. Wish I could post pictures to show you. Don't have a camera for that. KOOBA

Animal, I operated a taxidermy studio a few years ago and 95% of clients wanted the mouths open. I personally prefer the mouth closed to represent a more natural appearance. I do my own mounts and prefer the mouth closed or slightly open unless it is to be used in a feeding setting as kooba suggested. To each his/her own.

I used to fish on the Chippewa Flowege and the lodge had a huge piece of tangled drift wood with a bunch of crappies and perch. It was mounted over the fireplace. It really looked natural with the crappies in the brush.

I would use the driftwood idea with fish facing different directions and mouth closed on all but one and have that one with the jig you used to catch them in its mouth and have the line disappear behind the driftwood above the fish. Make sure they flare the gills on that one also.
Just an idea.
Also look into finding someone that doesn't freeze dry them because they will shrink too much. You want to maintain as much of the size as possible or you will be disappointed.

Nels