• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What was he thinking?

dfv87

One of my brother-in-laws that I really fish quite a bit with is getting married. At first I was very happy as his fiance is very nice. Now I find out the wedding is in late May and in the Dominican Republic on the beach! As a fisherman what the heck were you thinking? Some of the best fishing time and we won't be here! Not to mention we should go to the beach when it is really cold not May!

Anyway, Randy, if you read this you know I am kidding and would not miss your day for anything. (unless the wallys are really going this opener, then I might be too "sick" to make the trip!)

DFV: A friend of mine also got married five years ago. He told his wife he liked to Fish, Hunt, and play cards with his buddies at least twice a month. Well they "Compromised", he doesn't do any of that anymore!!!! Got to keep a cool head...Kaz

My best friend of many years got married on the waterfowl opener. He and I even wore matching como cumberbuns through the whole ceremony(sp?).

The problem isn't in the first year, it's all the anniversarys that follow. "You can't go hunting, it's our anniversary!" I don't think I'll ever be able to hunt the opener with my buddy again. Definately a wedding detail you have to work out ahead of time.

Congratulations to your friend. I hope he has found a very patient woman!

I hear this thread all too well. I have to go to a wedding on the Saturday of Memorial day weekend, and not only that, but I have to travel 3 hours to it. Why are people so selfish. I can give up a weekend of fishing but why would someone schedule an event on one of the only three day weekends of the year? Would anyone else be upset about this? Not only for fishing reasons, but principle in general.

I have a friend who is getting married on the fishing opener this year. In fairness, he thought he was scheduling it a week after, because he thought the opener was always Mother's Day weekend...

He has - and will continue to recieve - an appropriate amount of grief for the incident.

Note...keep in mind that in such instances the anniversary date will not necessarily always fall on a Saturday opener.

A couple of years ago my niece got married on opening of deer hunting!!!!

My brother and I always take our sons fishing the second weekend of fishing, this year one of my nephews best friends is getting married on the weekend we always go... soo we had to back up trip to Memorial weekend. When will people ever learn!!!!!!!

Ole

I tried to plan my wedding to not interfere with any openers for hunting or fishing. I thought we did well with early Sept. Then I tried bear hunting... opened the same week. I have a great wife who went along with it and plans to in the future.

One of the guys we used to deer hunt got married on the deer opener. need I say more..used to hunt with.

There should be ocean fish to catch down there. Take advantage of it.

Good luck to all.

I am getting married on April 17. I have a very understanding fiance who has listened to me complain endlessly about the wedding of HER friend that we had to attend on fishing opener 2002 and HER cousin that got married on waterfowl opener 2003. What are these people thinking. Like mentioned about, I can give up one day for my own wedding, but what about every year after that for the ann. My wedding is pretty much no hunting or fishing going on. Even the early Rainy River season closes on April 14, I am told.

At least you only have one day - one time. My twin grandchildren were born last year on June 6th. My wife just informed me that she is planning a big family get togeather for the 1st birthday which just happens to be on a Sunday. I told my wife that for the last 25 years I've been out of town the first week of June. She says be glad both of them have the same birthday. The way I see it I'll be going to these parties for the next 18 years.

I called my son and told him to do some better planning the next time around so that the birthday will be in late March - April or early May.

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 02-18-2004).]

When my wife and I planned our wedding we originally had it set for the fishing opener (not realizing what we had done). After looking in the regulation booklet and seeing what we had done I convinced her to change the date because you just don't do that sort of thing. That is like the most important day of the year.

Secondly I will never understand how someone could plan an event on memorial weekend. This is a very important weekend for a fisherman,and for some reason it is always on the Sunday.

Get the boat ready

FnF