• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

marcum or vexilar?

slick2526

Did u buy a marcum or a vex? do you like it or would you choose one over the other? what one has better target seperation? Also does the marcum have the interefernce rejection like the vexilars? can you get a setup like the vexs with the light and stuff like you can for the vex?

thanks

Marcum has interference rejection like the Vex. I have an Fl-18 Genz Pack with 9/19 dual ducer, flexlight and softpack and its a great unit and well built. Whats nice with Vexilar is transducers and accessories are interchangable between all vexilar flashers, regardless of model. I'm just bought an Edge 2 and am buying an Fl-20 before years end so I guess that says how much I like vexilar products.

Knowing how to use your flasher, TFT, LCD and etc is more important than what brand you buy.

Did u buy a marcum or a vex? do you like it or would you choose one over the other? what one has better target seperation? Also does the marcum have the interefernce rejection like the vexilars? can you get a setup like the vexs with the light and stuff like you can for the vex?

thanks

oh boy, seems early but there went that can of worms.... grin

I should add I got an LX-5 and can't wait for ice to try it out

I bought an original LX-3 from a rep before they hit the shelves years ago. Still have it, still works great. Did replace the transducer once. "Borrowed" the LX-3 to my nephew one year and tried a LX-5 when they came out and had trouble with it right out of the box(twice!). Returned both units and bought the Vex FL-18. Worked flawlessly but man was that thing noisy in a quiet shack. That constant whirring drove gave me a headache. Sold that last year and will be using my Lowrance 334 IGPS this winter. The Marcum seemed to have better noise rejection and I really liked the adjustable zoom which the Vex didn't have. I liked the Vex pro-pac case better than the Marcum. Couldn't see the dial very good unless I tipped it up towards me or sat 3 ft away(not good in tight quarters). I liked the float on the Vex as Marcum just has the swing out arm.(can buy the floats separate thou). I liked the Marcum's charging system better that showed percentage of charge on an LCD. All things considered I'd buy another LX-3.

I have had a FL-8, FL-18 and currently run a LX5, I'll take the LX5 over either anyday. IMO better target seperation with the fine line feature, abitity to zoom anywhere in the water colum and I think alot more quieter running unit. I have never had a problem getting rid of interference and have fished alongside 18's and 12's. They seemed to have a little more trouble clearing up their units though. Any will show you your bait and fish, just need to find what you like and who cares what anyone else thinks or says.

I have the LX-3TC as well and I love it compared to the Vexilars. All of my friends own the Vexilars and there is a difference between the two. Marcums are ultra quiet, better target seperation, moveable zoom along water column, better target seperation, crisp clear colors and a higher wattage. Plus Marcums come with a case where you have to pay extra for Vexilars. My buddies are die hard core Vex users and try to put down the Marcums but then when I ask them what can theirs do that mine can't they cannot mention one thing. But yet I can mention everything that I have above and they still tell me that Marcums aren't as good. I guess jealousy will always be there.

can u get the light for the marcums like u can for the vex? Also how much extra is it for a float for the transducer?

You can get the Vexilar flex light and buy the vexilar float and stopper. (Just take the Vexilar labels off because they might fight with the Marcum crazy)

The flex light is around $25 and a float and stopper should be around $6.

Last year i took a pole on this sight and others and found out some interesting information. With out devulging what i used, i asked what everyone was using and if they had ever used the other brand. Out of the over 60+ responses i received, 40+ were marcum users and 20 were vex users. Every vex user except one had never used a marcum. the one exception had switched from a marcum to a vex due to a broken product. now almost every Marcum user had switched from a vex to a marcum. they all stated that the marcum was easier to read and use. you will find that vex has some nice features as does the marcum. there are many personal preferences that poeple on this sight will give you. I recommend watching both in action. I fish with guys who use both and almost every vex user that sees them side by side likes the display clarity of the marcum. I myself have done this comparison also and i would have to agree that the marcum is much easier to look at and use.

Now the choice is up to you. Good luck and good fishing.

This topic comes up every year.. however we have added a ton of new members since last winter. If you use the search option you can find many threads on the subject.

I do have a bit of an addiction. I own a Marcum Lx3, Marcum Lx5, Vexilar Fl-18, Nature Vision Showdown. All are very good units. And all the units I own get used throughout the year. My wife enjoys the Showdown the most, as its easiest for her to read. And I dont blame her, its very easy to read, and gives a digital depth reading that I like as well. My personal Fave is the Marcum LX-5, it does everything and more. the dual beam tranceducer is key for sharp drops and weedy situations, and also seems to have the best interfierence rejection. Nothing against the FL-18, its a great unit as well... I just feel the display on the 5 is better.

I used to use a Vex and now use Marcum (Lx5 and Lx3). I have no complaints with either. My Marcums are newer than my Vex was, I've used the newer Vexs but not as much as the Marcums. The comments about personal preference are right on in my opinion, both companies make great products, it's really up to you which you'd rather use.

I love the Lx5 and it's narrow beam option. I like being able to see my bait only, even in a portable with 4 lines down. In my opinion if you are picking up other baits it gets pretty confusing on the screen to tell just what exactly is going on donw there. For that reason I will probably sell my Lx3 and replace it with another Lx5 so we can each use the narrow beam option when fishing together.

It's real early for this debate,ice must be coming soon.I have a fl-18 pro packII and lx-5.Both r great units,both have excellent customer service .It comes down to personal prefrence. I was on reeds HSOforum and humminbird has 3 new flashers on the market.Has anyone seen one of these?

PerchPounder I would take a closer look first. Even wait to see it in use on the ice and hear the feedback roll in.

I have a few areas of concern on the new Hum units, ducer, gain, processor performance (Will not work on open water..why?), interference management, push buttons...too many buttons (push buttons and cold don't play well together), and the power usage is high.

The single crystal ducer is concerning to me (Not a true duel beam) as is the silly ducer support cord. If you use the support cord it will not center in the hole and the beam will shoot out sideways..it will not level properly..I don't get that at all. Why did they feel they had to add the support cord....ask yourself that...a weak ducer cable maybe?

Personally..I am hesitant to jump at this new series tell I see more on ice use and it's durability.

.... The single crystal ducer is concerning to me (Not a true duel beam) as is the silly ducer support cord. If you use the support cord it will not center in the hole and the beam will shoot out sideways..it will not level properly..I don't get that at all. Why did they feel they had to add the support cord....ask yourself that...a weak ducer cable maybe?

Personally..I am hesitant to jump at this new series tell I see more on ice use and it's durability.

Not sure if this is accurate, but I heard that they did that "silly support cord" so they would not have patent issues with copying the "iceducer" design that Vexilar uses. From what I understand you can take the float off the support cord and put it on the main cord and works just like a Vex Iceducer.

I would agree - I would wait at least 1 season and monitor reports on these units before buying. If you have ever been on the ice with a flasher that is not working right, you will know what we mean - nothing more frustrating. If you do purchase one - don't be too quick to sell your old Vex-18. This happened to me with an LX-3tc. IMO FL-18s are rock solid, great backup/spare units if you upgrade to something else.