• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turkey Reports 2008

Well it was youth season this weekend and my oldest finished his course on Saturday and Sunday was the big day. We roosted some nice birds on Saturday night and all went to plan on Sunday morning, the tom's where coming in and getting within range until 5 jakes came by and they decided they didn't like the tom's and started a fight and drove them out. I told Vinny he can shoot a jake for his first bird and he had no plans with leaving with a jake and said it was tom's only. LOL Well after 30 minutes I caught movement and the tom's where coming in silent because they didn't want to draw the attention of the jakes but Vinny couldn't get in position (lack of experience) but he didn't good and didn't try to force any thing. Well after that we did a little drive looking for birds and at 10AM I saw 3 birds but couldn't tell what they where and decided lets go for it and started our 1/2 mile walk. I knew there was about 4-5 tom's in the area so I worked my way there slowly crow calling and cutting every 100 yards and just when I was about to break into a field I thought I heard a gobble (I didn't call) and then I heard it again. I knew the area well and told Vinny to stick to my arse and make sure the safety is on. I was able to sneak to the edge and position a hen decoy about 3 feet in the field. Vinny says "hear they come and they are running" and I said "I see them but they are just standing there strutting" but he was looking at 3 jakes running to the 2 tom's I was looking at. We got to see one of the best gang turkey fights ever (I forgot the video camera) that lasted for 30 minutes. Finally the tom's put a beating to the jakes and when they broke up I gave some yelps and cuts and then the show began, the jakes started running to us but the tom's had other plans for them and was driving them away and finally at 38 yards one of the tom's gave him a shot and I said "Safety off, red dot on the base of the neck and squeeze the trigger" and he smoked him. I'm so proud of him and he was really proud of himself, all day today he's had a little bit different attitude and feels that touch of freedom now for a 14 year old. The best part of the story is that 18 years ago I shot my very first bird 50 yards from where he just shot his very first bird.

VinnysTom042708A.jpg

Good Story lee!! And Congrats to your son!! It's SO nice to see the younger kids getting a chance to hunt. Mine has to wait another 6 years before he can pull the trigger on one though, but i still get him out roosting with me, and he's learning the box and glass calls, we got a few going last night before dark...... NOTHING better then a gobble in the woods, NOTHING!!

Oh, and gotta let everyone know, i would be more then Glad to call for any youth's, or anyone that would like to get out and see if they would like to turkey hunt, nothing better to see someone's face when you call them in their first bird.

Actually, this weekend I forgot it was the youth hunt and i was out scouting birds and watching one strut on a power line about 150 yrds away,5 minutes go by and.... Bang!!!! and i'm like what the hello, you can't shoot yet..... birds flying everywhere, took a minute, but then that bulb went off... ahhhhh the youth hunt!!

Lee you left one thing out...... how big???

Thanks guys.

Salmon, I love bringing new people also who have no idea about turkeys and watching them when that bird gobble in their face.

20lbs, 9 1/2" beard and 1" spurs

I didn't get to cast a pole all weekend, I hope the crappies are still in this weekend.

Very Nice bird!

And tell me about it, that gobble will send shivers down your spine!! I had a friend once that was like mid 40's, called in a bird for him, and he seemed to turn into a teenager again when that bird went down, so happy it was crazy!.

Anyway, looking forward to this week, lots of birds this year, lots!!!

I forgot to mention that when the bird was in front of us Vinny started shaking to bad that the tree his right knee was resting on was dancing around that the bird busted him and I had to kee-kee to get him to stick his head up high for a good clean shot. He did good and I'm proud of him (I just had to talk to him and calm him down), it's only the 5th time shooting a gun and he not even gun shy from the recoil. It scares him but I've drilled it into him the best shot is the one that startles you. I did the pretend to put a shell in the chamber while sighting in and he didn't even flinch when it only went "click". He wants to save his money and buy his own vest and calls now but I'm going to hand my stuff down to him and buy new (good excuse to now). I'm into bow hunting them now and I usually shoot my first with gun and bow-hunt rest of the season. My buddy went to Sports Authority and got a brand new 870 12 guage turkey mag with the thumb hole stock for his son and they had them marked wrong for $160, I went back to buy 3 of them and they knew something was up when I had that many and caught the mistake. I should have just one at a time.

Salmon what is your real name, I would like to get together with some fellow FM guys and do some hunts.

Great story and experience Lee! Congrats to Vinny. How long did it take for him to stop shaking after he held the bird? I took my son-in-law out last weekend to "zero in" my 20 guage and do some coaching for his first turkey hunt in a couple of weeks when he is back. I checked out my new 12 guage TC barrel with turkey choke and it was dead on at 30 yds. . . .very small grouping. SalmonSeeker2 come down to the office so I can show you those areas. Anyone going to let the rain and cold stop them Thursday? I don't think so . . .

Great job with the first harvest for Vinny!!!

I am ready for Thursday...I have some real impressive Toms out back roosting. Should be a great opening morning. The only bad part is that I have to walk a whole 200yds and cross a Trout stream to set up for the hunt whistle.gif

I have several spots if you guys want to see some different birds and terrain...call me and we can coinside a few trips!

Later,

Chaf

lee, sounds good i'd love to get together with us FM boy's and make those gobblers cringe!!

Same for you doug

We should try to set something up, I'm looking around here at some state land, cause most of my hunting is done around the Buffalo area

I'm one hard hunting turkey hunter and love it to the core, I've killed my share of birds and I've callind in 3 times as many for other people.

I would love to get together for a couple of hunts with you guys and do some running and gunning.

I will actually sleep in to 7am later in the season to work birds because by then they've learned that the hunters are the one's doing the calling in the morning. Nothing like striking a bird at 10am and working him in and most hunters are out of the woods by 7am.

Let's try and make some solid plans soon, I'm usually roosting every night and most of my hunting during the week is close to home (unless vacation)and go to work @ 8am but will go just about anywhere during the weekend.

Nice bird,congrats.Your right on lee,if that bird gobbles after 10:30 he's dead standing.Good job getting the young guy out i'm sure he's hooked now.I would trade all my whitetail stuff in if i had to chose between the two.Tyler and i will be sitting first light on thursday rain or shine.We'll just bring the carbon sticks if need be.

Iv'e killed some spring birds and its a rush but truth be told I enjoy harvesting them but not so much the hunting. I'll get up every morning to bowhunt for deer but getting up to chase turkeys just dont happen much. Fishing eyes most nights after working second shift will keep ya in bed though too...

Tank will be out thursday morning but i'll be snuggling in a warm bed...

There you go DC sleeping with your rod. Good luck to all, The heck with the snow . . .I'm ready! All mouth calls ready to go and the rank has been soaked out of em and they are in the mouthwash. . .box call chalked and slate is scrubbed like a baby's behind . . . Salmonseeker and I may do a roost tonight after LJ's ball practice. Good luck to all. Lee we'll get together later. I too like the last 2 hours late in the season . . .unless up in the hills.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

I put 2 on the limb with one hen so I have a good chance drawing one of them in. I'll be going with the bow and S.T. (Stuttin Tommy), that's what the boys call him.

Well I put the smack down on nice 3 yr old. He had 10" beard, 1 3/16" spurs and weighed around 22lbs. No pictures because I was running late for work so I had to breast him right away. Between me and Vinny I see no reason with loading my freezer with 4 birds.

Da**n it was cold this morning . . .25 degrees where I was. So cold the birds held there breath . . . nada . . . quite like I was in church. Oh well, it makes it more of a challenge next time (well I gotta say something inspiring) . . . Saturday morning south instead of north. The pm will find me on the water or golf course . . .maybe the links and then water toward dark . . . so many options!! Great job Lee!

Yesterday I knocked one over at 22 yds. He ran away and I could not find him. This morning I got another chance. At 28yds I got one with a 9in beard 11/4 spurs that weighed 18 lbs. Jay will put up some pictures.

Well I've seen more yotes this year then in my whole entire life. The cows are having their babies and I saw 2 yotes grab a young one that was just born, needless to say the yotes are easy to sneak up on when they are eating and they will no longer be eating anything. Amazing what a Winchester 3" Extend #6 will do @ 10 yards to a yote..... LOL