• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Basement Lures

Wow... so many are doing custom rods but not many are doing airbrushing, making true lures, etc etc... Im waiting to see the artwork and the woodwork/metal work etc on those basement lures!!! Right now... Im making a lure rack for drying the paints and epoxy on lures... Am starting to do some repaints myself... and when its done... I'll take pics and post it up here...

I sprayed 2 coats of hammered finish copper and a coat of clear on a silver minnow my dog found mad.gif in the river yesterday.

No need for pictures I think it can be imagined.

PS PLEASE TRY TO PICK UP LURES WHEN THEY FALL OUT AT THE LANDING. MY DOG GETTING A SPOON IN THE FOOT IS ONE THING. MY KID OR YOUR KID IS ANOTHER!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see the pics. I make jigs so I don't know if they qualify as true lures. I am amazed at the artwork that goes into rod building. I can see that is one hobby I don't want to get started on(have too many already).

hmmmm.... I make plastics, jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, swimbaits, weighted hooks, shakey heads. You can't even think about getting a car in my garage, its now the shop! I could probably sink my boat with all the stuff I have made and sold over the last couple years.

Here's a few of my handmade topwater baits. I make Creepers, Jointed Creepers, Globes, Toppers and Thumpers(tailbaits)

All are hand turned and shaped out of either red or white cedar. .062 Stainless steel thru wire shaft with soldered loops. Shaft is also soldered to the main body front and back so it cant turn. Hand formed wire hanger connecting belly hooks to thru wire shaft so they cant pull out. Belly hook hole also has brass tubing in it to help seal it from water soaking in, and the hole is then finished with a standard hook hanger. Top quality primer/paint as well as epoxy finish. Lures with eyes have glass eyes. Creepers have hand cut and shaped stainless steel wings, also soldered. Other baits have hand cut stainless propellers.

Basically they are built like Frenchy's old Le Lures.

Castmaster...

Below is the tag you would normally use to post up the photos, but that host site does not allow you to link the photos to another board such as this one. In order to display the images on this site, you will have to use a site such as flickr, imageshack, or photobucket and then copy the image address and put the image ... tags around it to post up the photos. Looks like you have some time invested in your lure making. Nice stuff. grin.gif

get-photo.asp?photoid=10978

Fresh out of the basement!!I had to toss this out there because I am the guy that can break an ugly stick in the car door before I get it home. I buy my fishing rods out clearance bin. I try to tip them gingerly. Am I the only person that played with a new rod only to clip of the tip in the ceiling fan? I learned, at least for me, to go for terminal tackle. I actually was able to get a new Browning fishing rod from Stillwater to Walker with out wrecking it. I was about to go out and my neighbor stepped on the tip crushing the guide. As the (teflon?) crunched he spun around and stepped on my basement lure. That survived. I prefer to focus on the terminal tackle because because at least that allows me 1 cast.(into a tree branch) I am getting closer to the water. grin25ozCreyfishpatternsATI001jpg.jpg

The hook is attached with a split ring. I use both rectangular and round. I have not been on the water yet this spring. This design is for smallmouth but I have not had a chance to field test it yet. If you want a couple to try email me and I will send you a couple. Just let me know what happens.

I do pour the heads. They are powder painted and cured. That is my crayfish pattern. I make all kinds of variations for different species. Here is one of the ice fishing versions.

chartrueseonlylrg.jpg

Those jigs are a lot like the dressed Mepps SpinFlex. Mepps also makes the undressed SpinFlex that is great for walleye.

I have never seen a mold like this. Is this a custom mold?

ok here goes nothing. first try with new computer. both lures i have pics of are rough drafts i made for a customer to see if it was right, and tweaked them from there. they are turned from western red cedar, oil soaked in the best wood water proofer known to man, primed with top notch white primer, and color coated with premium quality paints, before the two part epoxy coating is applied. you should recognize the type prop bait they are. the first is in original pattern, ''subtle perch'' with a basic white bucktail, and rattle insert,(not visible), second is in original pattern ''sunnie delight'', with the prop forwad to better simulate a fish feeding on the tinsel and marabou tail while at rest, with electric blue hackle. let me know what you think. keep in mind these were put together fast and are/were just rough drafts. ...

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

thanks for looking.

The trick worm mold was fairly easy, it is a direct copy of the original trick worm, but I think almost everyones is. Its actually a plaster mold, it took me about 4 trys to get it right, but it was the first thing I ever tried like that. If your looking to pour cause you think your gonna save money, its not gonna happen, It becomes a worse addiction than fishing and you end up with so much $$$ Invested in molds colorant, glitter and everything else that you will never make your money back crazy. I sell some stuff on hsolist but thats a hard way to make a buck back to. I mainly do it cause I like to, and it is sorta relaxing and cool to come up with your own stuff and catch fish on it!

was rummaging around my desk and found a few more pics on a disk, heres two jerkbaits from it, again like above/prior post these are rough drafts of customer special order custom lures.

first one was designed to resemble a small esox visible in stained water. it's turned from a solid oak broken baseball bat (both the rough and final were from same bat) it was 8'''s wire to wire. wire through with .062 stainless wire, american made barrel swivel 150#(final was spro power swivel 230 lb.), spro 150 lb split rings 5/0 vmc's 4X's with a red one in back. ballast was minimal, at 3/4 ounch. simple side to side classic retrieve when jerked. the second i still have and it's turned from cedar, western red, with rattle inside. have since turned it into a top swimmer with a danny lip as i have no likeing for walk the dogs. made to emulate a bullhead on top feeding. now it's a prowling bullhead. swims nice and can't wait to get one on it. wire through with .051 stainless wire same terminal as above except hooks are 3/0 eagle claw....

DSC00108.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00111.jpgDSC00114.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

both are final coated with two part epoxy and prep and painted with the finest products available. thanks for looking. and rememmber they are rough drafts. i'll get some finals up soon.