• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Basement Lures

I'm afraid to even put my homemade junk up here, you guys have some real talent! I may snap some photos and try to get them up. Do you use your homemade ones more or less than the store bought lures? I've found that I do use them, but i have more fun making them than anything.

Heres a jerk-bait bait I made. I tried to make it look like a sucker. Its weighted with lead and zigs, zags and dives, kind of a cross between a suick and reef hawg. I used the devcon epoxy to coat it.

P1010280.jpg

Quote:
tried to make it look like a sucker

well, you did. nice paint job man. basswood? 7''er? heres one i made up a few years ago i found on disk. since my old computer died and i lost like a bajillion pics mad i've been scrounging for saved ones. caught fish with this one. nice springtimer, early summer with the ''little ducky'' pattern. ( my neice named the pattern grin ) usual blah, blah, blah, cedar, .051 all that, except i used absolutely no paint on it. all 2 part epoxy specially dyed and tinted. and the tail has some mallard duckling accent in the bucktail....

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

of course an orange double twisty tail is added while fishing to simulate little feet. whistle

Thanks. It's 9" long and not sure what kind of wood it is. I took it down to the river and made a few casts, it doesn't zig zag as much with the hardware added but it has a nice shimmy to it on the dive and rise.

I hope its not jinxed now because I had a little northern swipe at it on the first cast. Thats one of my superstitions with a new lure.

Quote:
it doesn't zig zag as much with the hardware added but it has a nice shimmy to it on the dive and rise.

well i can try and help here. remember this may not work but from what i see it may. i'm not sure where or if you put the ballast. but here goes nothing. try one or all at once untill it's fixed. first try a thicker shorter shank hook in 5/0, then try 6/0, mabe mix sizes in different spots on the lure. 4X VMC's are a nice thick hook. or owners stinger trebles are really great too. some times retrieve problems are a result of just the simple swing of the hooks. next try a teaser tail ( about a 8/0 with bucktail.) and lastly try a solid wire leader or stiff fluoro or mono leader. hope this works. good luck

Quote:
B1gf1sh1, what do you put on the wrappings of the lure tails you make? Is it an epoxy finish?

yes. the ''little ducky'' if memory serves me was flex-coat i needed to use up in two coats. first i cut with acetone,second was straight. the acetone thins it out so it soaks into and penetrates into the thread for better water proofing and overall adhesion. (just like some rod makers do) but it remains a little tacky and/or soft so the second coat is put on to give it a harder outer shell.

Quote:
Can you mix colors or glitter with it?

Of course. pretty much anything can be added to it just like casting resin. but if it's liquid it's going to change the resin properties, the resin not the hardener... i'll let you figure the rest out grin