• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open Water Lures & Jigs?

blackdog1101

What do you guys prefer for panfish after ice out? Do you jig with the same baits you used while ice fishing? What about casting with spinners & spoons? Any suggestions for fishing for them when they're in shallow? I'm done ice fishing for the season, now I'm waiting for open water to put my canoe in. Thanks!

Either way works for me CNC. I a lot of times will do a slow troll with them, just put a small split shot up about a foot from the jig. Go slow and wait for the tug. I've had them go nuts for that. Other times a slip bobber works. Even when I slip bobber I will let it sit for a couple of minutes, reel in a little slowly and then sit. Keep repeating till I'm at the boat and then recast. Usually puts fish in the boat for me.

I will pulling out the old standby marabou jigs(1/32 ands 1/64 oz.),and then the tubes,twister tails, and plastic shads will be used, as well, for crappie.Both Mister Twister and Berkley have some cool new plastics I'd like to check out this year.I know our mods here at this forum have the skinny on the new products.

I like the Quiver Jig, I forget who makes them though. Slip bobber to control the depth. Start out tipping with a minnow and if they're agggressive, you can go without the minnow. Quiver jig has a real nice motion under the water.

Early on....when fishing shallow you can't beat a pink and white flu-flu type jig under a bobber in my opinion. Most of the time you don't need to tip it with anything. As the season wears on slow retrieving jigs with a flash or small spinners are great too. Method really depends on the cover for me. When fishing weed pockets I like to slip bobber, but for weedlines, spinners!

Weighted stationary float, hair jig 1/64 oz size or exude micro shad with a 1/32 oz or 1/64 oz collarless jighead with a size 8 hook or a size 10 or 8 shrimpo or ratso placed about a foot to a foot and a half underneath the bobber.. I always have good luck with the color white for my jigs.

1/32 ounce jig with a 1.5 inch tube. Real it in as slow as you can possibly stand and are still able to avoid snags. I've had better success with this than the bobber. I think it's a way to get the agressive fish going. Stay mobile if you can.

Culprit paddletails. Can't buy them locally but they are deadly either straight retrieve or under a float. Exude Micro shads are great too but I noticed Mr Twister isn't selling them anymore. Going to try some of the Gulp minnows. I already know Powerbait ones work great. A favorite of mine is to cut the powerminnows down in size and tip a Flu Flu with them. Later in summer the spinners and small cranks come out. JB lures makes a spinner called the Tadpole spin that is a favorite of Matt Johnson (I like them too -have about 20.)

Hey Mark check the Mr. Twister HSOforum. The Micro shads are still around changed some colors up but they still have pearl white which is the one I like best.

What size jighead and colors do you use on the Culprit paddletails?

Oh I also like the Cubby mini-mites.

Flu-Flus, power minnows, tubes, puddlejumbers, mini-mites, crappie slugs, small twister with a beetle spin. I use these all seasone long. Early season I will use some with a minnow, after that it is typically all plastics. With exception to the bettle spin, I normally like to fish using a bobber for a slower retrieve.

CA

I bought some Bobby Garland plastics last fall to try out . They worked pretty well on deep suspended fish in the fall but I can't wait to try them out this spring. Especially the "electric chicken" color.

you can find culprit paddletails in rochester. if they arent available locally to you you can use Sliders. same thing but a little bigger.

i try a lot of different things but nothing can or will ever top a pink jighead on a white twister tail

Originally Posted By: delmuts
mark. i just went to thier web site, and you can still order the micro shads. they did drop a couple of colors, but they still have them. del

I saw the micro shads are still there. But the Exude version is gone and those are the ones I liked. They slowly release scent etc in water like Gulp.

Sliders are OK but the Culprit paddletail has outfished them head to head. I just order a bunch over the Web every two years or so.

Tonight, it is going to be big crappie time for me. I am hoping my bait choice for the evening will steer the lil ones away. 1/8th oz pink jig head with a 3" clear yamamoto grub. I may have to put it under a bobber to work it slower, but I am starting that way. The 3" yamamoto grub seems a lot smaller than 3", more realisticly about 2 1/4" or so. Rigged that up last night in preparation and it looks deadly on anything that swims really. I just hope to find a decent school of crappies.