• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Fillet Board

Dave

Question

I was wondering what others use for a fillet board while on the road. I know one can haul around a hunk of wood but, would like something that's easy to clean, won't hold moisture and not bulky. Any thoughts?

18 answers to this question

I can't remember where I saw it, but there is a folding cutting board out there that I think would work great as a fillet board. The next time I see one, I think I may have to buy it. It would be a great addition to my camping collection. I am thinking instead of a canoe paddle up in the BWCA, that might work a little better.

CA

Nice link Da Chise31... I didn't see it the first time. That thing looks pretty slick by the way. grin.gif

We have one of these fillet boards from the Outdoor Store also because you can take it anywhere. Set it up on a tree, guts go into pail, wipe the board clean and you're good to go. I can't believe I'm actually responding in the EXPERT INFORMATION-wow! grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CrappieAttitude
I can't remember where I saw it, but there is a folding cutting board out there that I think would work great as a fillet board. The next time I see one, I think I may have to buy it. It would be a great addition to my camping collection. I am thinking instead of a canoe paddle up in the BWCA, that might work a little better.

CA

Nice link Da Chise31... I didn't see it the first time. That thing looks pretty slick by the way. grin.gif

Try the flexible cutting boards from Rubbermaid

rolls up nice and is easy to wash gets a lot of use in our camp with diner prep to.

Just looked at it its a CHOP & CHOP brand I think it came from Bass Pro Shop? but I dont know for sure

Originally Posted By: NAMASafetyDirector
Never tried it but it seems like just simply using the lid off of one of your Rubbermaid totes would work well. Use it clean it off and back on the top of your tote where you wont loose it! \:D

works in a pinch but the lip around the outside gets in the way.

If you go into the kitchen section of any Walmart, there are a bunch of different cutting boards that might serve your purpose. I have several of the white plastic-type boards for various outdoors uses. Or you could Google USA Plastics and look at the cutting boards there.

Picking up on the Rubbermaid idea..... Use some small screws with washers (so the screws don't pull through) to attach your cutting board on the inside of the lid.

I have a hard plastic backpack (basically a plastic box with backpack straps) that goes with me on most fishing and hunting trips. I cut a cedar board to cover the entire top of the lid, and have cleaned fish on that thing for many years. You could do basically the same thing on a cooler lid.

guess i'm cheap. i use a 24" pc. of 2" X 12". i just set it on the tailgate of the truck. it sits up so , there is clearance for the knife handle.a couple of the plastic groc. bags in a smaller pail for the cleanings, fillets in storage bags,with everything going on ice til i can discard them. just wash it off . good to go.

I have one of those plastic fillet boards with the tail clip on it. They are cheap and work. Don't really use it much, if I do keep fish they usually get cleaned at home. For that I have an old ironing board with a formica top to clean on. Nice cause it's adjustable size, has a place for a bucket and the clip.

Call me a red-neck, but I goto garage sales and pick a used ironing board that collapses. Doesn't take up much room, can be setup to a comfortable hight and best of all, CHEAP!!!

Murdock, you and I are just alike. I took some thin plastic lumber, and attached it to a colapsable ironing board and this goes with us in the truck when we travel. great heighth and cleans easy. folds up nice and doesn't take up too much room!

Dave I have a larger folding Outdoor Pro Series board. It gets used at home all the time. Small enough to take traveling too.

I've thrown out all my wood cutting boards at home. I used to take a 1x board along on camping trips. Lets face it, while in the outdoors things don't get cleaned as well as they should. The community wood cutting board would turn into a bacterial petri dish.

My foldout cutting board can be used on a tailgate or picnic table and is big enough so I'm not leaving a mess behind. Washes easily and nice for food prep too.