• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring 08 Open Water...

Jay, you forgot to tell how they like to make great runs and jump.

Yes Frankie, they do fight great. Powerfull runs and will jump sometimes. They are nearing the end of thier life so some of them are beat up and sluggish. All but the one Tank got fought nice...

Kirkville - Nice job on the early morning eyes...

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap day no launch fee and no tickets :)Camped @ stoney pond this weekend with the family got a bunch of mini gills and sunfish .My boys were rockin the bass out of the canoe.Weather cooperated with us and Chef even made a couple appearances.Frog season opened the 15th and its time for frog legs wink

I had some frog legs in Louisiana that were huge several years ago. They were the size of chicken legs! The first one was delicious, the second was ok and the third tasted like frog.

Dance weekend here starting tonight through Saturday. Rome Men's Slow-pitch tournament Sunday may do some volunteer umpiring there so it's not looking good for any fishing at all.

Hey guys! Sorry it's been so long. Been busy but not a good enough reason for staying away. Been a out some on the stream and have done well with the Browns and Brookies. Nothing big but a lot of fun just the same. Doing some scouting and hope to get more time in between projects. Got the old 5.5 running good again. It's a 1955, I just hope the same can be said of me at that age!! Going to try some night fishing for trout this week. Anyone done much of that? I still can't fly fish well enough to try it at night so I think I'll go with a casting bubble, leader and fly. Suggestions on the fly? I may have to buy a few or ask a friend or two. My skill are sub-par though I do have the gear. Hope all are well. The canoe is available for trips, just say the word!! Got the 5.5 and a nice strong electric. Hope to head to Durrant soon. Heard of another spot up there for Rainbows that I never knew of. It's worth a shot. I'm up for a summer meet, just don't have the boat running, so...

Ray

Havent been fishing much lately, got out of work with some daylight left and took the flyrod up the neighbors pond. This weekend im doing a canoe trip with overnight camping with my cousins down the Delaware. Looks like 8 of us and 4 canoes. Last year we did it with 6 of us and had a ball. Anyways I got a new flyline for casting big streamers and top waters. My 5-6 weights were not cutting it and I want to throw some big stuff on this trip. The line performed great and 8 bass and 3 gills liked my flies.

Two of the gills were slobs - they had to be to fit the bass bug in thier mouths...

p6231517cd5.jpg

That rod and reel is poor reference as its my 8/9 weitht salmon and steel setup.

Past the fingers and past the wrist...

p6231518nt5.jpg

Most of the bass were in the 14-15 inch range. This one must not have spawned too long ago...

p6231519co6.jpg

Ray - thanks for the offer, i'll try and take you up on it...

Thunder - I was useing my heavy 8/9 wt fly rod testing out that fly line so it was overkill on the gills but everything is more fun on a flyrod...

Beth and I went for a 4 wheeler ride before dark today and I took some nice sunset picts, enjoy...

p6241539yv5.jpg

p6241543pf5.jpg

p6241542th0.jpg

Jay,

I've got another spot for you too. It's a short ride north of here, secluded, tons of small to med bass, all blow downs and tree limbs. Fly fishing heaven. Got some nice bullhead too! Shore, or canoe/kayak, wading might be tough due to the bottom in some spots. Size of the bass may be small but there are tons and they're hitters. Come up anytime and you guys are welcome to stay here if you fish with the other guys or me or both.

Hit Oneida last night. It was the first time I went fishing in a while. We did ok, picked up a couple bass, sunfish, perch, and a northern. Felt good to fight a fish!

Nice pics Jay.

Here's what I saw today on the way to work, I'm sure glad the season is over but I was wanting to go after him so bad. smile I've been elbow deep into crappies and sunfish on the big O, I haven't even put a walleye lure rod or lure in my boat and can't believe I'm still getting crappies and they are dandies. I don't have any pics but I'm going out tonight and this time I have the camera (that's why I got these pictures of the turkeys) smile

062708A.jpg

062708C.jpg

062708B.jpg

Had a friend tell me he hit Canadarago last weekend and only got fish troling with crawler harnesses taht were fire tiger. Couldn't get a bas no matter what so he went to trolling and got some fine walleye and perch along with one massive bullhead. Have a friend going on Oneida tomorrow, the guy with the side imaging unit. I had to pass, still working on the bathroom and the drift boat. Nuts! I did pick up a new fishing hole in Forestport and one in Boonville. Both for trout.

Well here are some pics from tonight, I finally got Julie on the boat fishing and she had a blast catching crappies and wanted to stay till dark. We ended up with 30 of them and started a nice ride back on the same gps route out and half way in I hit something so hard we came to an almost dead stop and it jacked the motor up. The motor still ran great but wouldn't go into gear, got it on the trailer after a nice pole in by some nice people (The first 2 people just drove by us with flare out and spot light on them) and there isn't a thing wrong with the motor but still won't go into gear.

Julie062708A.jpg

JulieAnthony062708B.jpg

Julie062708B.jpg

Julie062708C.jpg

LeeAnthony062708A.jpg

LeeAnthony062708B.jpg

LeeAnthony062708C.jpg

Thanks guys...

We've been getting white with the blacks. Not sure what's wrong with the boat and don't even know where to start. I put a call into the insurance company just incase whatever I hit did some damage that is unseen. Going to drop it off at mechanic on Tuesday and see what's up.

Lee - I'm about ready to pull what little hair I have left out with all the automobile problems our family has been having lately. This last Wednesday $1200 on Rosa's van and we have an appt. scheduled for Tuesday to have a roof leak fixed, hoping that isn't very expensive... On the way to fishing the Big O this morning my throttle cable snapped and being the hardore fisherman Iwe are Todd and I left it over on the intersection of 316 and 31 til we got done fishing and then I called AAA for a tow back to Rome. The fishing was pretty good in that we caught a nice mixed bag of crappies and one shy of a limt for two of keeper eyes, we released all the fish. I love Todd's new Lund, what a beautiful boat she is.. Thanks Todd for holding my fishing gear at your house for me, there's no way I would have been able to carry all my umpire gear and my bat bag, thanks buddy. Well we caught 6 walleyes jigging in deepwater on the Big O and about 10 or so crappies in the canal.

Here's the pics

1001201ll9.jpg

1001202fy7.jpg

1001203yt7.jpg

1001204yf0.jpg

1001206ui1.jpg

1001205xw9.jpg

1001207xm7.jpg

Tim great pics bud its a good thing you have the second job to take care of some of the repairs on the vehicles.It was nice fishing with you today. I hope that throttle cable does't set you back to much let me know when you have more time and we will take the lund on another voyage to a different body of water.Good luck Tim talk to you soon.