• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring 08 Open Water...

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got out today after work for about an hour before roosting turkeys and managed to get a limit of these fish. They were all the same size and the marina was just loaded with these fish. The hard part was keeping it away from the bass and blue gills, I'm thinking tomorrow night I'm going with a lantern and some minnows. The crappies should be the only thing on the hunt and they sure are big and scrappy.

42408b.jpg

42408a.jpg

Well did the minnows and lantern tonight and got 6 HUGE crappies and then the fish in the bucket decided they wanted to live and they knocked the bucket off of the rocks and took the lantern with them. The best part was we were there for about 45 minutes and the minnow where around the lantern by the 1000's and I could see hundreds of crappies under them and dogging them just at the lights edge. Now I have to go and buy a new globe and mantels but that's after turkeys in the morning.

Todd, I'll give you a call tomorrow and let you know where I'll be for the night crappie bite.

Thanks Timmy I wished you could have been there It was a fun day after the crappies and gills.I havent kept a limit of crappies in years seeing how perching wasnt so good this year I had to get some fish for my mom she is happy now.

DC, I know I havent gotten a trim yet this week some time getting real shaggy whistle.gif.

Good job guy's nice fish......Wait...... you can catch sunfish in open water?? huh, thought that was just a hard water fish!

And Just to let "some people" know, that this is a NY forum, Proper attire is required at the door!!

gee Whiz thought the moderator would be on that stuff!!! We need a photo edit....I say I say we NEED a photo edit!! I can't even scroll up the page... ewwwww, gross!!

Originally Posted By: salmonseeker2

And Just to let "some people" know, that this is a NY forum, Proper attire is required at the door!!

gee Whiz thought the moderator would be on that stuff!!! We need a photo edit....I say I say we NEED a photo edit!! I can't even scroll up the page... ewwwww, gross!!

FYI - Neither moderator can stand the Yankees, Mets, Giants, ect. In fact I root for anybody that beats the yankees, which definatly includes the Sox! grin.gif

Nice job on the fish guys...

Todd- maybe after we trim your mane we can take a swipe at Dougies ponytail whistle.gif

Awesome job on the crappie guys! We caught mostly bass and walleye this weekend. Todd do you have my number? If not, Doug and Tim have it. Give me a shout. I'm dying to get out after some panies.

Great job on the pannies, I just love those crappies and how they change colors. Just wondering if you got them on the big "O" and if most of them were males and how far you think they are in the spawn?

Lee, the ones we caught were spawning or close to it not from the big O from moraine.The ones on the big O should be on spawn or close to being done depending on how much of that cold lake water gets into the backsets.The sunfish and blues should be making nest right now if not already on nest you know its all temp.50%m 50%f

Well boys...my open water name has changed, due to the fact that this site does not want to let the Hard Water Chef on it confused.gif

Sorry I haven't been active lately...the Semester has been busy and we only have 2 weeks left before the students are off for the summer.

Timmy...of all things that are pure...please do not put an image of me in a Yankees hat!!

DC...sorry for the phone tag a few weeks ago...when are we going to get the girls together for a few days camping this Summer???

Take care all!!!!!

Chef

I am 100% pure Fenway Faithful cry.gif

Hey Jimmy...last I checked the boys from Boston were still World Champions whistle.gif

The Evil Empire has crumbled and it is going to be a real pleasure watching them from my Red Sox rear view mirror for several years to come.

Chef your funny!! Yes i'll give you they are the champs for now, but we are rebuilding the death star baby!!

Franky i'll e down today sometime to chat,

And chef, let me know if you ever need a tag along for turkeys, don't have much time these day's but still love it.

Chef- No problem on the phone tag. You still interested in that rod? If not, its no biggie. Same stuff here - been haveing a good time on the stream trout. Tomorrow dad and I are going after bigger and tougher to catch trout down on the Del. Some serious hatches have been happening...

Well, back from the big river and heres the report. We got down there around mid-day. Dad dropped me off at one of my favorite rifts while he went up one of his favorite creeks.

I love this place and it fealt nice to be back...

p4300931nk9.jpg

A few bugs were floating by - hendricksons, apple caddis, and blue quills. I started working my way down the rift a few cast and a few feet at a time. After a few moves lightening struck and I was tight to a trout. He came out of the water then rolled and crashed on the surface and was gone. A solid brown in the upper teens? About 10 yards later I was into another. This fish was a nice bow. After some great jumps and runs he came to the net. 15 inches and chunky...

p4300936pn5.jpg

Heres a neat low angle up-river pict. Notice the bug on the water on the lowere-middle-left, those are te the hendrickson duns the fish were eating up...

p4300938pg3.jpg

A bit later I lost a smaller fish, about them dad came back from the creek - he landed 4 fish, 2 browns, 2 bows and lost a few. He joind me in the rift and I crossed to fish it from the other side. Lots of bugs hatching by now and the trout were on em! Almost too many bugs for a fish to even notice yours. I fished half way down the rift and got into a good one that got off after one small jump. A few minutes later I stuck one that stayed on and landed another chunky 15 in rainbow. We were under dressed for being in crotch deep 45 degree water with the same temp wind blowing hard too. So we decided to head for the car, warm up and try elsewhere. I was making a few last cast and hooked a solid fish that was a hand full on the fly rod. A few minutes later I netted this guy. Fat and wild 18 inches...

p4300960yw1.jpg

We hit two more spots with nothing happening...

Heres a few pict of the bugs...

p4300968xj4.jpg

Heres lookin at ya...

p4300972km9.jpg

Tank workin the water...

p4300956om6.jpg

These Delaware browns and bows are about tops on my angling list. They are such a challenge to fool on a fly and a breed all thier own with the fight they put up on a flyrod. Very rewarding and challenging fishing surrounded by natures best...

p4300963kr8.jpg

All fish released except this guy who's getting baked in a little butter-wine Almondene sauce...

Nice report DC when I was back in school I have fished the east branch a couple times with my uncle that lives in chenango forks.There are some quality trout in that river as a matter a fact that is the first place I learned how to fly fish never caught trout but lots of creek chubs(good practice).Nice report Bro.