• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring 08 Open Water...

Nice to see you guys are out and catching fish! I haven't been out much. I hope that will change if I get the canoe out. Never had a boat or buddies that fished open water so it's all new to me for the most part. I dabbled but not enough to have much to say here. I didn't disappear on you guys after ice out. I keep an eye here. Just don't have anything to report on. With some luck, I'll find a spot and have a story to tell. So far all I can say is my open water potential isn't much better than Ray Charles! lol Actually, he'd have had more help/luck, lol Keep in touch guys.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a good weekend guys! Ours is starting early. Tank and Billy left for the cabin at daybreak. Im going into work for a bit here soon then im heading down intime for some trout this evening. Walleyes in the am then more trout tomorrow. Sat is the work detail - split wood, cut grass, clean, and we are puttin in a new stone patio out front. Will have pictures and a report on sunday....

Have a great time Tank and DC... Heather graduates from Alford St. Sunday, commencement, packing up and bringing our architect home. Saturday Amanda has tag days for softball and right after that a car wash fundraiser for her dance troupe, gotta ump a triple tonight...

Back from a rainy paradise. Didnt get to fish a ton because of the weather and projects but it was a nice few days out of dodge. Got down there thursday afternoon in time to hit my favorite rift...

p5151050eo5.jpg

Not too much going on - a few caddis hatching and very few march browns. Had one take and one on for a few seconds on my first pass down through the rift. Walked back up to the top, changes flies and on my first cast stuck a large fish, he got his bearings and we parted ways cry

It was getting dark and I had a few more cast left till I couldnt see and I hooked up with a nice fish. He never jumped but put up a very nice fight in the big water, almost into the backing. Never put a tape on him but somewhere around 16 inches and fat...

p5151052uc7.jpg

Dad, Billy, and 3 other guys were up the camp already. They got a bunch of eyes in the morning then hit a local creek for trout and got into a mess of trout in the afternoon...

Friday morning we all got up early, had a big breakfast, then got our waders on to hit the water. About then the skies opened up and it prety much never stopped all day. We started messing around laying out the front patio and really got into that project.

Heres a before shot of the project and laying out and leveling the 6x6's to frame it...

p5161053ft9.jpg

This end and 3/4th's of the way across required lots of pick and shovel work...

p5161055vq1.jpg

After getting it down we added 2-4 inches of gravel...

p5161056eu6.jpg

Next we put 2 pieces of one inch thick cut bluestone on top of the old existing concrete slab. That was about it for friday except a big fish fry and cold beverages...

p5161057eb9.jpg

Sat morning I hit the water at 530 for a few hours before breakfast and more stone work...

p5171062cr3.jpg

Not much going on - picked up one 14in smallmouth, lost one fish and got this nice brookie...

p5171065xu1.jpg

After breakfast we all started in on, splitting wood, cleaning the cabin, the grass, and the patio. The first few stones...

p5171068nu4.jpg

Just like putting together a puzzle - get the right amount of gravel under them, fit them in there, and choke the small gravel in between...

p5171071hv2.jpg

I had too many pictures in one post - see next post...

The last few pieces...

p5171072gn0.jpg

All washed up...

p5171074vc1.jpg

Beverage time...

p5171079wb2.jpg

All said and done, almost - we are getting some 2x2 stones to do a small walkway where the little one is leading up to it...

p5181088vx3.jpg

One last picture as the fog was lifting yesterday morning...

p5171067kl5.jpg

Awesome pics. Very nice job with the patio. That’s an awesome brookie. How big do you get them down there?

The weather wasn't much better here. We made it out to Oneida Sunday morning. I got a nice eye on the first cast, and should have gone home after that. We picked up some smallmouth and silver things, but no more walleye.

Otis - Not saying they dont reproduce in the system but every time I catch one its shortly after they stock one of the creeks that dump into the main river and not far downstream. That guy was 11 inches roughly and looked like a "stockie". I have never seen any big ones...

Great job guys! Maybe it's time for a road trip. I can drive there, get a limit, and drive home faster than I can pick up a limit on Oneida! Hopefully the warm weather this weekend will shake things up a little.

Back from camp with lots of great picts. Rained off an on for the day and a half but the fish didnt seem to mind much. Started out early morning and picked up 10 prety quick and let a few go...

Tank belly deep and tight to a fish...

p5211095hg5.jpg

We got our last two keepers at the same time...

p5211100ne8.jpg

We headed for camp and stopped and let 4 fish go at a spot close to there. Went to the cabin, filleted the fish and made a quick lunch of hamburgs marinara. We were just about to head back out fishng when the rain picked up real heavy with some thunder and lightnening. So we took a quick nap instead and headed out a few hours later. The fish were very active and we C n R'd about 30 fish before and during a good rain. After the rain stopped the sun came out and the fishing died.

Tank with one on...

p5211106tx1.jpg

And in the net...

p5211103rh4.jpg

A nice pretty 17 incher...

p5211104pt9.jpg

After the rain ended the sun came out. It made for beutifull pictures but the fishing slowed...

p5211114dv5.jpg

p5211113qo9.jpg

We had about an hour and a half of daylight left so we headed for our rift to fly fish. Got there and things were all well and good...

p5211116gu7.jpg

Then this rolld up over the mountain...

p5211120xs9.jpg

It looked worse than it was but it did rain a bit. Not many bugs hatching, a few caddis, some sluphurs, and a few march browns. I got one small 9 inch brown after about a half hour. Dad missed one good take and darkness was falling. I went to the top of the rift, changed to my majic "witching hour" fly and proceded down the rift. Tanks said he was about done and I said a few more cast as as I hit the heart of the run. Then it happened - big fish on! The fish never went airborn and never took off down river just lumbers and took some line from time to time. I patiently worked him for a while till dad slipped a net under him...

p5211124ec8.jpg

Not quite 21 inches, thick and healthy. I got some more picts i'll put up later...

Nice pics Jay,sorry I havent been around much this is the busy time for work for me.Hoping to get out alot this weekend .How's the bite been?

Thunder -you been off south shore by shackelton point @ all?

I tell you Jay I was rivoted reading your post, your best yet, great pictures and a kick arse brown to boot. Awesome...

Well guys I am free Saturday or Sunday to fish if someone want's to invite me?

Memorial Day I am head cook at the barbecue for the family.