• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring 08 Open Water...

Nice fish DC. If you're ever up this way, give me a shout I'll take you to one of NY's best trout creeks. And NO ONE even knows there in there... Right Chef?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thunder - I hate to say it but I am almost bored with walleyes and becoming posesed with these trout down there. I could catch more useing bait or hardware but the challenge of the fly is where its at. There are some big trout in the system. Looking to break the 20 in mark on the fly. Got a few close last year and had some on. I did get a 22 chucking a rapala after dark. Tank used to flyfish alot down there with his dad and uncles back in the 60's and 70's when the river was thick with fish and nobody around. Last year we(mostly I) got back into it heavy. Dont get me wrong the eyes are in trouble come sat, but...

Timmy - I took alot of pictures of bugs - blue quills, march browns, hendricksons, various caddis. (sidenote - If I start useing latin or scientific names, slap me crazy.gif). I was haveing a hard time getting the setting right on the macro. Then I realized I was farting around too much with the camera, there were big trout to try and catch...

Otis - Thanks, i'll keep that in mind. Has it got 15-25 inch wild browns and rainbows that fight like fish twice thier size? lol...

This creek opens and closes with walleye season. I'll be there Saturday morning. Almost all browns. We've caught them up to 32 inches. Nice thick fish. Last year I got four over 20 inches on opening day, the biggest was 26. All get released to fight again another day (there corn fed sick.gif). There all stream trout, no Great Lakes fish.

DC, I here you on the walleyes but my buddy donnie wants to go I would much rather crappie and bluegill fish.I know this is going to sound funny and I didn't think I would say this but I might have to buy myself a fly rod for the pannies.Jay I grew up trout fishing I would much rather watch someone catch them than fish for them my self.

Otis,I have been using 2 inch small dark(brwn or blk) twisters 1/8 oz or lighter at dark and lighter colors at night very slow presentation.Good luck

Thanks Thunder! We've got a few holding in the marina. I'm going to try there tonight.

I've been toying with the idea of using a steelhead rod for them. They have them at Gander, a 10' rod is around $40.

My uncle has a fly rod tied up as a spinning rod. It's kind of awkward, but it works well for pannies.

It was a good opening weekend with limits Saturday and Sunday. I also picked up two browns 18 and 19 inches. Couldn't break the 20 inch mark. And now it's back to work. cry.gif

That's a roger on the flu Tim, had it really bad and just starting to feel like myself. I finally got out and roosted some turkeys tonight, nothing I hate more then being sick when all the action is going on but learned the hard way years ago that you need to take care of your body so your body will take care of you on all those hunting and fishing trips. Well I'm off to bed and hope to be standing over a nice tom in the morning with and arrow through him. Gobble Gobble

Heres the report - Got down there shortly after daybreak And hit our first spot. She gave up 11 quick eyes. We headed down river and I went up into a rift with the flyrod while Tank and Billy fished the hole for eyes. Very few caddis hatching and I couldnt get anything going, had one brief hook-up. They caught 10 fish before we headed to the cabin for some lunch. We had a few cold ones and dined on dads turkey I grilled up after marinating in a mixture of applejuice, soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, and salt n pepper. It was very good! Good enough that Tanks gonna try and get another bird. I found the recipe on FM and have it written down if anyone gets a bird and wants to try it. For the afternoon I had them drop me off at a rift while they headed up river. Very few caddis flying around but I had all afternoon for a hatch to develope - well it never did and I drew a blank. Those guys fished two awesome fish producing holes and Tank got one 18 incher. The fish and river was in lockdown mode. You could feel the weather change as it got windy and humid and started raining a bit at dark. We went to the cabin and had some grub then hit the sack. Oh, I called home and they had no water. So we got up had some breakfast and headed home to pull the pump and fix her. A short but good trip...

Tank working the water...

p5070993rj0.jpg

Tank and Billy with a few 16 inch eaters...

p5070992ne2.jpg

Underwater Walleye...

p5071001jo0.jpg

Looking upriver at my favorite rift...

p5071003hv3.jpg

Good report Jay, love that eye down under, very cool.

I had the flu this past winter too Lee it's no picnic, glad your feeling better.

Well Tuzzy and I took the day off in hopes of catching a few eyes and that didn't last long because the east wind was rough on the lake so we finished in the canal chasing pannies. Here are a few shots.

BFishN baby..

1001190hc0.jpg

Mr. Happy and yes this was a macro shot. I guess it's all about the lighting with my camera..

1001191rz1.jpg

More turtle shots...

1001192gp6.jpg

1001193oa1.jpg

Anthony and I snuck out of the house for about 2 hours yesterday after all the Mother's Day stuff and yard work. We caught about 50 of these buggers and we didn't bring a thing to put them in so they are all swimming free. smile

ANT051108D.jpg

ANT051108C.jpg

Thanks Todd,

I was going to photo shop it but not many people know about it but got word that nobody will be allowed to fish there next year. I haven't seen a soul in there and the crappies are crazy, that's where I've been getting them.

Lee - nice job on the crappies, great to see Ant getting into fish...

Dad and I got into a bunch of small stockies today. He was filling in as a stocking coordinator on one of our favorite streams and the regular guy couldnt be there and asked Tank to fill in. We stocked the length of the creek then fished for a bit. I was able to get a bunch on dry flies and although they were smallish they were fun on dries with the flyrod...

The creeks are really low...

p5121041ae1.jpg

The fish really like this parachute style Adams...

p5121043rh8.jpg

Great fish guys! I hit Oneida a couple times over the weekend without much luck. Lots of bass, but there not what I'm looking for. Keep the pics coming. If anyone wants to get out, let me know.