• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008 Minnesota LakeMaster Chip

Aces In The Hole

Question

21 answers to this question

There was an in depth discussion on another sight about this. Someone contacted Lakemaster and was told that there is an agreement in place with Lowrance that none of the state chips are upgradeable. The only chip that can be upgraded is the Lake of the Woods chip.

I bought the navionics north 07 and don't think it is very detailed contour wise (points, sunken islands, bottom structure). I was hoping (actually told) it would be better then 5 ft. increments. Can anyone tell me if lakemaster has better detail so I know if I should make the switch? Cabelas has a sixty day return policy so it won't cost me extra. Thanks for any info.

If LakeMaster has a lake in one or three-foot contours it is likely that the newer Navionics('07 or newer) have it that detailed too.

If the only reason you are buying a chip is for the lake contours (and your electronics are compatible with the newer Navionics chips) Navionics is the way to go IMO. Those chips have a lot more lakes.

If you want a chip with other info (roads, trails, state parks, etc.) LakeMaster is the way to go, IMO.

I have Lowrance LCX-15mt's in my boat so I have to go with LakeMaster there. I also have a H2Oc and I use both Navionics and LakeMaster.

I do alot of my fishing in south, southwest Mn. but do fish Leech & alot of lakes around Grand Rapids (mainly north of town). Got Navionics because we thought we'd try some out of state fishing this year and the north chip covered a bigger area. I wasn't impressed with the detail on Leech unless I'm doing something wrong. I was hoping for alot more 1-3 ft contour on some of the lakes. Sounds like I'll probably try Lakemaster seeings it's more detailed Mn. I'll worry about the out of state when the time arises. Sounds like Lakemaster has the detail I'm looking for. Thanks for the help.

Again, if it sounds like i'm overlooking something on Navionics any help would be appreciated. I have the XOG and it must not read the Premium chip, or I'm doing something wrong? But I also have the Expedition which I'm going to keep in the boat (not to trusting on the water resistance of the XOG yet). I tried zooming in thinking I could pull better contour and such but didn't seem to help. ???

Say, another thing fellas, I do have Map Create 7 and have played around with that a bit. Chiped some stuff around home here seems to be pretty good. Is Lakemaster going to give me anymore detail on the lakes. They're probably about the same, huh? Shoot me an e-mail if you want [email protected] Kind of looking for some fishing patners this summer to. Not as much fun sitting in the boat by yourself. I'm from Clarkfield,Mn. by the way.

Another thing to remember with Lakemaster versus Navionics is the zoom. You can zoom in closer with Lakemaster. I don't remember the exact difference, but it is noticable. I have both chips and will always use the Lakemaster first.

walleyemaniac-

I am not sure what is going on with your Navionics chip. I have the Navionics HotMaps Premium 2006 version and I have 1-foot contours on Leech, Mille Lacs, Winni (according to Navionics they are the LakeMaster Maps) 3-foot contours on Vermillion.

I am baffled why your chip wouldn't have the same if not better detail. The Navionics web site says that Leech is supposed to be a Navionics High Definition Lake Map(I would think that would be a 1-foot contour). Might be something you want to check into or talk to someone else that is using a Navi chip.

CasetMcg Are you a rep for Navionics? Not to be rude just checking Sorry I just haven't had much luck with Navionics PLus its all what people like everyone likes something different Like you said earlier.

walleyemaniac - are you going into your menua and loading the Map Data for the area you want to look at? I have a Nav chip and there's 6-8 different map files on the chip, you need to go into the menu option and load the specific map for the area you want to see contours, etc.

Originally Posted By: hhguide
CasetMcg Are you a rep for Navionics?

Nope, I work for the U.S. Forest Service. Like I said earlier, I have LakeMaster and Navionics. I wouln't be a very good Navionics rep since I have two LakeMaster chips and only one Navionics chip. ;\) I think Navi would fire me grin.gif

Like you said, like I said earlier, they both have benefits depending on what you are looking for.

I see that they went with black contour lines "for easy viewing in sunlight." Also, basemap information now includes "over 2,000 BWCA Campsites and Portages." (both from an email received from LakeMaster) I am nearly as interested in seeing these two updates as I am in seeing any new lakes done in High-Def. All of the portage and campsite waypoints from my BWCA planning are clogging up my ExpeditionC's memory.

Anyone seen these 2008 maps live on a gps yet?

I have both chips and there are times when I will use the Navionice chips before the Lakemaster chip. Depends on the area that I'm fishing and the lake and that will decide what chip I run. They both offer very good lake maps from what I have seen.

Originally Posted By: lucky
i saw it advertised that reeds sports wil be selling the nav chip at the sportshow for 49.99. CHEEP!

Make sure you know which year/version you're getting. Good deals to be had on both chips - LakeMaster and Navionics - depending on how new you like your data.