• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Baits for 2008

Matt Johnson

Another year is upon us and I'm sure we're going to see a lot of new designs and baits available to bass anglers. Let's start talking about some of the new baits we've heard about...

I'm excited the use the new Tubo from Mister Twister. It's a beefed-up tube that provides a large profile with an excellent slow-fall action if need be. Designed to look like a muddog it has a larger head with red gills, and it comes in a wide-variety of productive colors. I already see fish coming in the boat this summer off this bait \:\)

So, what other new baits are you looking forward to trying out and using this upcoming season?

I know these are not super new right off the press, but I am wanting to try out the Coffee Tubes from Strike King, and their RAGE TAIL SHAD from strike king as well...

I have seen them used on some showes and I thought I would give them a try!

ALL-IN

Matt- I had the chance to use the Tubo tube last year.. thing is huge!!! But it does catch fish! I'm actually more interested in the new Mr.Twister Mino for dropshotting.

As far as hard baits.. I cant wait to get a Rapala DT3Fat wet... Looks like an awesome lure.

All In: I got to fish the coffee tubes last year on the river, cashed a check with them. I don't know if it was the tubes or the color of tube. I have not had a chance to fish the Rage Craw, Rage Chunk,Rage Shad or the Rage Toad. I got my FS order recently. I really think the Toad is going to be a hot number.

HIya -

Lotsa new stuff this year for sure. I'm pretty excited about the Subwalk. Smallies will clobber the thing on the river... X-Rap Shads are pretty cool too.

I'm pretty pumped about all the new Northland stuff. The Dean Rojas signature series soft plastics are awesome. Great colors in a lot of styles. Their Bluegill color is going to be awesome on MN water. Really love the 3" and 4" grubs. Plus the 4" and 6" Brush Hawgs and the Brush Beavers. They also have a new Finesse jig and they updated the skirts on the Jungle Jigs. They might have the best skirt colors on the market right now.

They also have a new Shakey Head which I like better than any others I've seen. One that I'm REALLY pumped about is a new Football head that's available in 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 oz sizes. For smallie guys like me, or downsizing for LMB, they're gonna be great. They have a lighter wire UltraPoint hook so you can fish them on spinning gear with either mono or superline and still get hooks. So many of the football heads out there are 1/2 oz or bigger with very heavy hooks. Great on casting gear but it's about impossible to hook fish with them on spinning gear. Plus I don't always want to fish a football jig 20 feet down... I can run these over 4" of rocks with a Jungle Hog or Beaver or tube. Great craw imitator.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I am excited to get out on the water and try all the new lures that Mr. Twister has to offer this year. They have alot of great baits, and there is always something new they are making for all anglers.

I cant wait to get the boat out and get a line wet?

The only new bait for '08 I bought was the strike king red eye shad. However a few new baits I'll be using this year are the Lake Fork craw tube, Chompers drop shot worm, and the DT-7 flat side

Oh, and Im gonna give Vicious flourocarbon a try...

I don't think this one is new this year, and Deitz could verify it, but I like that Mister Twister Fat Tube. I didn't know it existed until recently. The reason I like the looks of it is because I think I can impail it on a jighead since it has thicker walls. Pretty simple reason why I like that. It's easier to change one out. I fish tube's quite a bit for smallmouth and they are experts at tearing them to shreds. Using them on a mushroomhead just decreases the turnaround time in changing one out. I know, the action is different, but it's a wash in my opinion.

Matt, I too like the looks of that Tubo for a flipping bait option.

Hi Ray -

Completely agree on the tube rigging. Internal jig heads are nauseating because you have to retie every time a tube gets shredded. I'd much rather fish them on a mushroom head or a light football head. The hard head tubes are really awesome on a Jungle Lock jighead too. I like the 4" Northland tubes or the 4" Berkley Pro Tubes for just that reason.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Hey Ray -

Yeah, they still make 'em. Can order them from their HSOforum probably. I may have to check out the Mr Twister ones too though.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm