• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Bait(s) You Cannot Live Without

Ray Esboldt

Playing off Ike's post on baits that you were sorry to see go, what baits if discontinued would cause you have a minor stroke.

I would be extremely disappointed to see Mr. Twister discontinue the Comida. I was a stick worm resistor for several years, but now freely admit that I have used more Comidas than any other plastic in my bag over the last 2 years. I like their size, density, and durability.

Storm's Wiggle Warts are another I don't like going without. Specifically, I like the ones that I have beat into the rocks repeatedly. I am not a big cranker, but it is one of the 2 or 3 cranks that I will reach for first. I see beauty in how terrible those baits run out of the box.

Definitely the Senko/Comida/Dinger

Another thing I would not want to be without is a trusty old spinnerbait. I learned bass fishing with them and don't think I use them near enough anymore, but they are always in the boat.

One I am glad they brought back but was ticked when it was out of production is the Fat Rap. I had an old black and silver fat rap that caught many many fish, and was actually broke off on a channel cat. I literally caught 100's of bass with that single lure. If they stop production of the Fat Raps again, I will throw a fit.

Originally Posted By: Ray Esboldt

I would be extremely disappointed to see Mr. Twister discontinue the Comida. I was a stick worm resistor for several years, but now freely admit that I have used more Comidas than any other plastic in my bag over the last 2 years. I like their size, density, and durability.

Ray, i cant agree with you more. This bait is something that alot of people liked as well i believe. I loved it around docks as well. I loved the action that you would get with this bait.

Hiya -

4" Smoke/pepper grubs. Catches smallies pretty much everywhere, and largemouths too for that matter.

3/32 oz mushroom head jigs. Use 'em for grubs, jigworms, [jerk-bait] shads, tubes, Dip Sticks and Dingers (if you Senko nuts haven't used them on a jighead ever, you're missing out...)

Jawbreaker spoons. Spoons are becoming kind of a lost art with everyone so focused on frogs or flipping, but spoons can really kick in heavy cover, and Jawbreakers are awesome spoons.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

For Largemouth. I have to pick a 3/8 or 1/2 oz strike king pro model jig. Flip it, pitch it, swim it, dead stick it, shallow, deep...The old 1/8 oz mushroom head jig/worm combo would be my next choice.

For smallmouth. RK nailed it a 4" grub. I would pick a clear grub most of the time. Berkely quit making clear powergrubs by the way. I should have listed that on the other post about discontiued baits.

Quote:
3/32 oz mushroom head jigs. Use 'em for grubs, jigworms, [[jerk-bait]-bait] shads, tubes, Dip Sticks and Dingers (if you Senko nuts haven't used them on a jighead ever, you're missing out...)

RK!!!! Hush... grin.gif

I imagine I use them that way about 90% of the time. Another way, try them on a 1/2 oz. football jig on clean rubble.

Interesting... Comida for sure... Fluke Type Bait(RT SLUG), a 1/2 oz Spinnerbait.. and a 1/2 oz pumpkin Jig. I think the one that might hurt me the most, if all companies stopped making some sort of flipping tube... I would be lost...

Hiya -

Hehehe...sorry Ray. \:\) A 4" Dinger on a 1/16 mushroom head is a killer cold front bait. Have to try the football head deal sometime. Use tubes on football heads all the time but never tried a stick bait for some reason. Stupid... Dunno if you've seen them yet, but Northland is coming out with 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 football heads this year. (They're calling them the 'butt head' jig, which I think is pretty funny...) I like football heads a lot but don't always want to use 1/2 or 3/4 ouncers, and the heavy ones have too heavy a hook for spinning gear when I'm pitchin them up shallow for smallies. The only light weight football heads you can usually find are Kalins, and the hooks on them are horrible. The Northland ones have a light wire UltraPoint. Too cool.

Superduty - I'm still cranky about them dropping the clear grub too. Smoke is usually my go-to color, but a Kalins grub in clear/black pepper is a close second. I REALLY wish I could still find clear tubes. Mizmo used to make them but they don't anymore, and I long ago burned through the ones I had. The other great clear plastic is a Persuader Curly Tail worm in clear/black pepper. The black pepper is tiny so the thing is basically totally clear. Great jigworm.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Id be bummed to see the DT line of cranks go. These have worked oh so well for me the past few years. If I had a bomb shelter Id probably have a spot for these on the shelf next to the canned goods...

Like others said it would be a bummer to see the senko style baits go away. Like Ray, I resisted them for a while. Actually, up until just a few years ago believe it or not. But now Ive come realise how versatile they really are.