• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

does anyone else not use a baitcaster for pike

mrcarp

hi im i missing something not using a baitcaster for pike the fish i target are under 10# i find most of the lures i use are under 1 ounce i have a cabelas fish eagle 2 7 foot med heavy spinning rod works good any opinions

I have one baitcaseter med-hvy ready to go for pulling plugs, spoons, what have you, but when it comes to casting and retrieving similar lures I use my spinning rod/combo as I tend to have better accuracy and better casting performace in general. I am usually under the 10lb mark for pike so I am not targeting huge ones either.

I catch em up to 15lbs on just a ML spinning rod. It's surprising how often 30" fish will hit a lure that isn't even 2" long. They handle the job just fine. I even use a heavier spinning rod to throw smaller muskie lures. Admittedly the gear ratio sucks though, but you can still manage to get bucktails moving at a pretty good clip.

I'll agree to the line capacity but with light baits you really can't throw all that far. If I put something that's easy to cast on my MH spinning (Giant Jackpot comes to mind) I can throw it to within a couple feet of my knot. Never quite to the end but in the right wind perhaps. Ever had little kids run out to the end of a dock and yell "Fish!" at your topwater because they have no idea you can cast that far?

I'm not always targeting pike, but have caught plenty 10+ lb pike with a ML or Med power St Croix spinning rod. I have a MH bait caster that does a better job, but rarely gets used for whatever reason.

I am yet to switch to a baitcaster, I have 5 primary spinning rods that are either medium or medium heavy and are 6'6 and 7'. I have had no problems with buchertails to big spoons. I try to target bigger northerns.. I have had no problems landing fish 36-39 inches. I am going to try a baitcaster more this year, I have had some bad history with them but, I am older wizer man now I think!

I have always used spinning rods for northerns. I usually use a 1/2 ounce spinner bait and it works fine. I have caught many large northern on it and 4 muskies over 40" without a problem. I am switching to a baitcaster now tho because I am going to fish more for muskies with larger lures this summer. But if you are throwing smaller lures a spinning reel is fine.

What do you all use as a leader on the lighter spinning set ups? I love using a little Heddon Tiny Torpedo but a leader weighs down the nose. Fun stuff with the nephews and nieces right off the dock, the little pike love it!

I used to make a real simple leader out of 20lb mono or something similar, using a barrel swivel to connect to the main line and then tying direct to the lure. I'm thinking flouro may be the way I go this year.

What do you use?

Chris

I use a muskie set up for throwing big spinnerbaits usually. Two summers ago I was out with a guy who only fishes muskie and he was catching big bass and northern on that set up. So I picked up a fenwick/abu garcia baitcaster combo. It's easier to troll those big baits with it. I looked for a muskie spinning rod and couldn't find one. Forced me to get the hang of a baitcaster I guess. My first outing with it, I had the drag adjusted wrong and saw a nice pike come out of the depths and hit my grinder(the image is seared on my brain). I went to set the hook and the drag slipped. Four letter words ensued. At least I got to eyeball her though.

cjac,

Flouro will work great for a Torpedo on spinning tackle. I bet #50 would be a good starting point, or a good compromise. I personally use either Tyger Wire or Cortland's Toothy Critter. Both of these are made with very "knot-able", very light, nylon coated wire. I'd try either in #15lb. You can tie direct to the lure with a standard clinch or loop knot. At the other end, I tie to a very small barrel swivel, then conect that to the main line. A 5 or 6 inch leader is all that's needed for the little guys, and a rig such as this is darn near weightless. This same leader, in a longer configuration, works very well for bass crankbaiting when sawbills are present.

I just picked up a GM Heavy spinning rod 7' graphite last night, I also picked up there 50 series reel, a lot bigger combo then I have used in the past. Have some big musky plugs that wore out my other medium heavy's...This rod is a lot stiffer. Now all we need is some open water.

Like some of you, I use spinning reel/rod set-ups exclusively. I just never liked the feel of a baitcaster. I use St. Croix Heavy or Ex-heavy rods for pike. I also fish for muskies. Like someone else mentioned, finding a spinning rod for musky fishing is nearly impossible. Last year, I made the investment and had Thorne Brothers make me a custom 8' musky spinning rod. I can cast lures up to 6 oz. (largest I tried so far) without any problems. This comes in handy when going for large pike using musky lures...

-Gregg B.

What kind of reel do you have matched with that??? I've been using the Shimano 7ft. Compre Muskie Spin with a 5000 Stradic gotten over at Thorne Bros., sounds like I might have to have them build me a new rod!!!