• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sucker Report 2/23/08 - (4 pics)

Tyler Holm

I've fished suckers maybe a half dozen times this year already (yep, 2008). Been doing well on every outing. I'm fortunate enough to live not far from a river that stays open year round because it has a warm water discharge just above the dam I fish at.

This past Sat it was beautiful out, so crazyice and I decided to do a little sucker fishing after our morning ice outing.

We put in a little over an hours time and came away with maybe 4 golden redhorse, 2 silver redhorse, 3 shorthead redhorse, and 1 white sucker.

As I type this I see my HSOforum down so I can't post pictures but I will in a day or two.

But really, these fish have been biting all winter long. If you've got a similar scenario as I've mentioned above, give it a try on the next 30+ degree day. It's really taken the (long rod) edge off for me and it's been tons of fun.

OK, picture time. I know many don't think suckers are the most glamorous to photo but once you go out and learn the species and fish for them often, they really are a neat fish.

Can you tell the difference between these 4 species of sucker?

ty_whitie1.jpg

ty_silver2.jpg

andy_shorthead1.jpg

andy_golden1.jpg

I agree that suckers are an under-appreciated fish. They are a native fish, and are not the same as carp. IMO they get a bad rap they don't deserve.

Do you smoke any of them? I've also made fish patties with them. Taken from cold clear water they are good eating.

DEADHead is dead on. After you research a little and catch enough of them, they are as easy to ID as white/black crappies, sauger/walleye, etc.

There are many ways to ID suckers, but with the species above you might notice the top one (white sucker) has much smaller scales than any of the redhorse.

Silver redhorse have a large mouth, and a convex (outward rounded) dorsal fin.

Shortheads, have a very small mouth and a red tail.

Goldens have a concave or flat dorsal fin and a smaller mouth.

There's lots of information out there on how to further ID these fish as well, but if you'd like more descriptions just ask.

Fishing for suckers is very easy and similar year round. I ALWAYS use a half night crawler on the bottom. More specifically I use a slip sinker rig with a snap/swivel to stop the sinker from reaching the hook. Sinker size and style varies with current and structure. Basically 3/8-3/4 should cover your bases. I attach a leader to the snap/swivel of 8-12" with a #6 Gamu Octupus hook.

There are many variations to this setup, but it's really pretty simple. You can vary the leader length, hook size and style (circle, plain). The weight should be the lightest possible to still hold in the current. Some work better in rocks.

My favorite rod is a 7' light action rod that is spooled with 10# power pro. I've got an Okuma Epixior bait feeder on it.

One of the most critical things in sucker fishing is bite detection. Put your rod in a Y stick and reel in any slack so your line is tight to your weight. Watch your rod tip and line like a hawk. Any bounce or twitch and grab it and set it. After you catch a few (and miss many) you start to get a feel for things.

Good Luck and make sure to release these native fish unharmed, if you don't plan on eating/using them.

Tyler,

Have you had luck with circle hooks? I seem to miss a lot of fish with circle, so I usually use a Gami baitholder. I've always used a few splitshot in place of the slip sinker, but I may have to try a slip sinker this spring. My dad started using rubber-core sinkers last year and liked that, too.

You're sure right about bite detection. An area we fish in the spring requires that we hold our rods, and we've found it advantageous to just set the hook every once-in-a-while. Quite a few times there is a fish there that you'd never detect otherwise.

Do you frewquently catch carp while targeting suckers? I rarely do, but my dad seems to be the master at it!

I ID'd those immedietely.

1. Bait

2. Bait

3. Bait

4. Bait

grin.gif

Seriously, I used to sucker fish a lot up north when I was younger.

I would really like to get out and catch a few of these.

Great post... Makes me think I should hit up some open water instead of ice fishing this weekend.

One question about circle hooks. I thought one of the advantages of using a circle hook was that it set itself? I see that you use braid (a no stretch line) and set the hook manually. I also read over on another site that braid is a strict no-no for circle hooks and you want a stretchy line and whippy rod for circle hooks. So should you set the hook or let it set itself????

I suppose the answer I want can be found by going out and fishing myself instead of reading about it on da 'net.

Originally Posted By: Ralph Wiggum
Tyler,

Have you had luck with circle hooks? I seem to miss a lot of fish with circle, so I usually use a Gami baitholder. I've always used a few splitshot in place of the slip sinker, but I may have to try a slip sinker this spring. My dad started using rubber-core sinkers last year and liked that, too.

You're sure right about bite detection. An area we fish in the spring requires that we hold our rods, and we've found it advantageous to just set the hook every once-in-a-while. Quite a few times there is a fish there that you'd never detect otherwise.

Do you frewquently catch carp while targeting suckers? I rarely do, but my dad seems to be the master at it!

Ryan,

I personally don't use circles for suckers, but I know many that do and like them. I love the hookset. Panfish to Sturgeon I love to rip the stick into a fish. That's just me. If your Johnny on the spot with the bite detection, you almost never deep hook them (1 out of 50 or less) and if so, Dtro had the solution (or sacrifice the hook).

I also rock the bait check (blind) hook sets once in a while. Often times you get lucky. I love those bonus fish.

When the suckers are running hard, I rarely catch carp while sucker fishing, but at this time of year I'm fishing a hole that holds wintering fish including carp and I've caught a few.

Originally Posted By: fishinbros
I am confused... right now, where do you get the nightcrawlers?

There's crawlers around for the lookin. I know Hooked on Fishing carries them, and I wouldn't be surprised if Gone Fishing has some left. I like to support the local baitshops, but as a last resort both Walmarts have them in stock, and I know Gander had a few angle worms around last time I was in there. As a super last resort, many of the pet stores have night crawlers as well.

Originally Posted By: uwecsteeple

One question about circle hooks. I thought one of the advantages of using a circle hook was that it set itself? I see that you use braid (a no stretch line) and set the hook manually. I also read over on another site that braid is a strict no-no for circle hooks and you want a stretchy line and whippy rod for circle hooks. So should you set the hook or let it set itself????

If I were fishing circles, I would use mono line for the stretch. 6-8# for suckers. I've got the whippy rod already. That simply helps for bite detection, but also the slow sweeping circle hook set.

If using Octupus like I use, set the hook proper. If circle hooks are your thing, then you can get away with basically reeling in the fish. Some give it a slow steady sweeping hookset with circle, but you cannot [jerk-bait].

My year round go to spot for crawlers is, Ta da:

Wal-mart grin.gif.

Check to see if they are dead before you buy them, but they have them year round up this way.

Nice fish Tyler & Crazy!

Nice fish! I like getting off the ice and fishing discharges in winter as well, used to fish a few on the Miss. and catch all sorts of stuff in the middle of winter.

I too am terrible with ID'ing sucker species. And I haven't fished them enough to catch the variety that most of you guys have.

Maybe you guys can lend a kind eye and ID these two for me.

SUCKER.jpg

h.jpg

Had poles in the trunk and a couple dozen crawlers today, but the sucker spot is still frozen over thick (walkable), even the rock falls. I wonder if suckers threw the ice could be an option confused.gif.

I might have to wait a couple extra weeks this year, unless I go down town.

Plus side, the channel hole is pretty much open.