• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good days fishing last year

Bassman55

I would just like to here about some of your guys better days fishing last year in order to make it until bass season opens this year. Here are two of my best days from last year...

During the first week bass seoson was open my dad and I were out at a lake that we knew to be good for numbers and size. We got there pretty early in the morning and started hammering them on spinnerbaits. Once that bite slowed a little we switched to soft plastics, mostly powercraws, powersworms, and powerslugs. The bite was just as good then. We usually fish about 8 hours until my dad is tired, but when it got to about that time we had caught about 85 bass. We still had some of our good spots that we hadn't been to so I told him we had to go for 100. We ended up fishing for 10 hours and catching 114 bass. We guessed that our average size was between 3 and 3 and a half lbs. It was unreal. We had 3 fish over 5lbs, the biggest being 5lbs 14oz. We lost count of how many were over 4lbs, but my dad caught 3 bass over 4lbs on three consectative casts. We barely caught a fish under 2lbs. Man it was fun.

The second day, I have posted some pics from on a different topic here. It was my last trip of the fall. I personally had a largemouth around 5 1/2lbs, a smally almost 5, and another smally that was 4 even. We ended up with between 60-70 mixed smallmouth and largemouth. I caught a bunch of the smallies on a poper in the end of october. The rest came on crankbaits, grubs, and slowrolling spinerbaits. Good Day.

I had several good trips last year. However 1 is maybe one of my best days ever and the other produced my biggest fish ever.

The first was in our July club tournament. Went up to pre fish with Deitz and went to a nice little spot that he had caught some good fish on and caught a couple nice ones. Tourney day we started on my normal starting spot and had almost a limit for both of us. (Co had 5, I had 4) All decent fish. We then moved to the spot mentioned above and caught a couple more, but that was it. We drifted off the spot and ended up finding another spot on the spot that was just money. Fish after fish. All in all we probably caught 60 fish that day and the smallest fish was 17 1/2 inches. I had 21 1/2 lbs that day and my co has just over 20. It was just an AWESOME day fishing.

The 2nd last trip of the year last year (Nov 2) produced my biggest fish. It was pretty darn cold that day and bad windy. We spent about 6 hours catching only 2 small fish. Decided to leave and stopped at one more rush spot on the way in. I caught a 3, 4 and then a 7-6 in the last 15 minutes. This is the fish in my avatar. What a toad.

Probably my best day was in mid june. Me and a buddy of mine fished from about 10:00am to 1:00pm and caught right around 24 pounds of smallies for our 8 biggest. After that we went to a different lake and fished from 2:00 to 5:00 and caught 33 pounds of largemouths for our 8 biggest. I was insane and now he's hooked!!!!

My little lake X with my dad. August 2007, about 10AM with tons of humidity in the air and just that look in the sky like it was going to break open. We decided to try to fish and only got to fish for like an hour before it started raining. we each caught about 4 fish all really nice. I got to see my dad get his personal best bass which made me feel really good. If I can get a picture up tonight I will.

I had a lot of really good days but as far as big fish, I had a tourny on Leech and weighed in 8 fish for 25 pounds and another on Winnie where we weighed in 8 bass for 28 pounds. Pokegema was good to me this year producing many 3 - 4 1/2 pound bass. Hard to pick one day, as there were so many that I caught a lot of bass and really nice bass. As long as I was bass fishing it was a great day!!!!

I was fishing a Wed. Night tournament on Minnewaska last year and with 15 minutes to go we a five fish limit that only went about 11 pounds. We pulled up to our last spot of the night, an inside turn on a 12' weedline, and we proceeded to load the boat. My dad and I caught about a dozen fish in the next five minutes between 3.5 and 4 pounds. We were culling as fast as we could and had to leave the fish while they were still biting so that we could make it back to weigh in. We made it back with a minute to spare and won the tournmanet with just under 20lbs.

My favorite day of last season was in August on the river - spent about 5 hours and had around 40 smallies with the biggest being right at 20" - best part was that they were almost all on buzzbaits. We probably missed as many as we caught so it was constant action. Very good time.

i had a few really good days last year. i don't know what which one to pick but i will highlight a few. i can tell you my favorite 25 minutes was in the Fishingmn tourney on waconia. Mr. Fluker pulled us up on the spot explained it to me about where the fish were positioned and where to cast. And sure enough just like he said there they were. and we filled the boat twice. i think we culled every fish we caught previously to that but one and culled the other four a couple of times. it was fast and ferious and they were quality fish. it seemed like we spent as much time messing around culling as we did fishing what a great problem to have. it was my favorite few minutes of fishing last year and maybe ever. i had never put that many quaility fish in the boat that fast before it was amazing. Thanks once again Chuck!!!

One other good day i had on the water was with a student from our youth group. he is a decent fisherman and has put his time in but he was itchen to catch fish. I was out on the lake the previous day and found the fish located on the fronts of wood and if you knew where to put your senko it was every cast. i tied on a senko for him and told him to cast at the trees in teh water and don't do anything but wait until they pull the rod out of your hands. The first few cast he was to impatient and didn't let it sink down in the water colomn far enough and then one time he cast out and started telling me a story and then pretty soon the rod was being yanked and ol mr. linesides was running with it. he set the hook and it was on. He proceded to nail them the rest of the day and outfished me by quite a few but i wasn't fishing the senko pattern i was trying to find what else worked but it made his day to catch that many fish and outfish me.

don't know why but sometimes it is more satifying watching others catch fish. ike

My last three bass trips of the season were my most memorable of the year. Last weekend in october first few days of november. Had a major leak in the boat so I went to my little lake x to figure out where the leak was and catch a bass or 2. Ended up with 25 or so with the 5 biggest weighing almost 25lbs in about 3 hours of fishing. Biggest was 5.6lbs and head a bunch of 4.5-4.9lbs. All on a jig and craw. The boat was leaking so bad the bilge pump couldn't even keep up. Found someone in town to weld it up so I figured I'd run back out after work few days later and test the welds.

In about 1 hour and 15 minutes of leak free fishing (gets dark early in november!) I landed 9 bass with 3 over 5 lbs and the biggest at 5.9lbs on the digital scale. Absolutely incredible for an after work trip in november. The 5 best that day went just over 26lbs. Made it out there one other time that week but I had either caught them all or the cool front had them slowed down. Only got 7 and the biggest was 4 1/2 or so. Pretty good way to end the season. All the fish were on 1/4 and 3/8 black/blu jigs with a gene larew craw.

mid october, took an afternoon off from work on one of those to perfect not to fish days. Fishing by myself unfortunately, it was one of those days that you really wish someone was there to share the day and the memories. Fished for 5 hours, caught fish from start to finish, quit counting and weighing after 40 fish, which took about three hours to do. Two over 5, a 5-10 and a

5-4 with several between 3-8 and 4-8. Senko on spinning rod with fireline, wacky or t-rigged, no weight in sparse cover. Black blue 3/8 oz jig with a white trailer in thicker stuff. Caught some on a chatterbait for something different. Couple of very nice pike also. Action lasted about a week, made it out there 2 other times, but it wasn't quite as good as the first. Only 35 - 40 fish per trip. None over five but lots of chunky

2-8's to 3-12's

My favorite day was when my son taught himself how to skip a lure under a tree/dock. He's 6!

We had been fishing a small lake and I was getting a bass under every tree. He was trying so hard to get under there but always got hung up or landed short. He got frustrated and decided to take a break. I noticed he was watching me very closely. After about a half hour of observation he picks up his rod. Stands up on the bench seat (a forbidden move when mom is along) to get the right angle, and skips his worm about 10' under a fallen oak tree. He gave the worm a quick little pop and I see him reel down and set the hook, just like his Old Man! After a quick fight I landed the fish, a solid 2lbr., and he held it for a second and placed it back in the water, not even thinking of taking it home.

It was at that very moment I realized why my Dad loved taking me fishing. It was the most rewarding kind of feeling I've ever had. I was proud when he was born, proud when he took his first steps, proud when he caught his first fish. But I have never had a moment like that. He taught himself just by watching me!

If you have kids, get them involved. If you don't have kids, find someone who does and get them involved. It just may be the most rewarding thing you ever do!

Perhaps my favorite day was one where I caught only three bass.

But it was a local lake that I'd never been able to crack - & all three were big & broad-shouldered, a 17", 18", & 19". It was particularly fun because it was the first time I'd tried "skipping" a plastic way, way under cover. In the 95 degree heat. Of course, I spent half my time hung up on branches & docks but hey, the thunderstorm that I never saw coming didn't kill me & the sudden downdraft didn't drive me into the rocks quite hard enough to break my trolling motor! So it was a good day!

Another day that I had alot of fun on I was wading for smallies.

I had a day off during the week and my little brother wanted to go fishing so I took him. He only will come with me once or twice a year so I try to get him on good fish. When I was tying the rods on he asks me if his girlfriend could come with. I told him that it was not a good idea because she has only fished off of docks, has never casted before, and I didn't think that she would like to beat her legs up on the rocks. Anyway he said she would be fine, so she came with. Right away it wasn't good. I gave her a ML action spinning rod and a #7 floating rap and she was trying to cast. She could do alright, but got about 3 birdnests in the reel in the first 10 minutes. I showed her that if you make sure you don't reel in slack line it won't happen as often. She never got another one the rest of the day. She banged up her legs, fell over, and was shivering when a cold wind came up, but never complained. We caught a bunch of fish. Right away my spook, and my little brothers buzzbait were way better. We had about 8 each before she finally caught one. She was so pumped, but was mad because she couldn't keep up with us. We started counting little ones for her while ours had to be about 12" to count. Eventually she caught up, so it was 12"ers for her too. She ended up beating both my borther and me by one fish and still brags about it every time I see her.