• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance or Hummingbird

bassNspear

I run an Eagle Fishstrike 1000C and its my first color unit and I love it. I had a chance to test drive a boat with dual X113's on it last fall I want one, they are the best IMO. I cant say anything about hummingbirds, the last one i owned I kicked off the bow and to this day won't even look at them.

I have used Eagle portables in Canada for years with good luck. I fact I used one for almost 10 years before it just worn out I think. That said I use Lowrance in my boats. Maybe for no other reason than I am used to the controls and have never had a problem.

I have a Lowrance at the console and a Humminbird in the bow. Both are great units and simple to operate. We bought the Humminbird with the boat and upgraded this last year with a new Lowrance 522c. We narrowed it down to the Lowrance and the comparable Humminbird, and from there it was basically a matter of comparing price and personal preference from playing with the display models at the store.

Originally Posted By: Bass N Spear
why do you think most people like the Lowrance over hummingbird

Probably similar to the reason more folks like Vex over Marcum, they've been the top dog for years. From what I've seen Lowrance 2D sonar is steps ahead of others.

I think the SI technology that hummingbird offers really is changing the landscape. I don't believe a Bird will outperform a Lowrance in 2D sounding, but as more folks see what side imaging offers, I think many folks will take another look and the tide might shift a bit. Lowrance makes nice arches, but is that really what you need to see?

I'm planning on putting a Bird SI on the console for drive by scouting, with a new Lowrance on the bow. I'm planning on using my old Lowrance on the console for mapping and high speed 2D.

LB

Originally Posted By: PerchJerker
For many years Lowrance was the leader in quality, in innovation, and in new technology ....... and you couldn't even find anyone in 2nd place.

Agreed. I have owned three Lowrance units and have never had an issue with one.

Originally Posted By: PerchJerker
For many years Lowrance was the leader in quality, in innovation, and in new technology ....... and you couldn't even find anyone in 2nd place.

I agree here as well. Up until the past 3 years or so Humminbird really didn't put out much of a product - they were decent, but they didn't really compete with Lowrance in my opinion. With the advent of their side imaging they're becoming more of a player in the game, but kind of in a different avenue than Lowrance.

I would also think that Lowrance would be looking at some sort of side imagaing competing product as well though, given the market share increases Humminbird has made.

Can you imagine that? A Lowrance depthfinder with all of their current features, plus another screen with side imaging. It would be tough to beat!

marine_man

My 525c DF has worked flawlessly(except my connections on the wires left a little to be desired) I think next time though I will go with the internal antenea. Less wires and I would be able to soft pack it for ice. Haven't had a bird but I think I will stay with Lowrance..

I was wondering the same thing, & when shopping at Cabela's the store tech told me that the clarity of detail on the screen & resolution on the Hummingbird was better & I could see that it was. However, he said when it came to the GPS end of the units Lowrance was hands down better & their percentage of sales was way better (as the poll link proved).This must say something about "service after the sale" too. I've used Hummingbird forever & have been happy, but now that' I'm shopping for a new unit I'm seriously thinking -Lowrance 722 after extensive research. Just my two cents. L2f