• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum VS Vexilar

SP180

As you see on this forum there is a lot of discussion about what is better and what should one buy. Here is something that happened to me today. Bright day on Devils Lake and one guy had the Vexilar Fl 18 and another had the Marcum LX2. Fishing them side by side was a wonderful way to compare the two brands. One might suspect that running the high end Vex against the low end Marcum may not be fair , but lets just see. By the end of the day, both owners were amazed at how easy the marcum was to use and read. The Marcum had clear lines, defined the fish better and was easier to read in the bright sun. The thing is, there is going to be many vex users who swear by there product, and they should. The unit is great. But with out seeing them side by side i would have had to agree. AFter today, i am not so sure Vex is better. For all of you out there trying to decide which way to go, find a group on the water and look at both. You might be surprised that the Marcum's 270 dollar model performed much better then the 400+ vex. If you watch many of the post on the forum, very few people switch from a Marcum to a vex, most switch from a vex to a marcum. That might be telling us something.

Look at the power of the two units... this is what sold me on the Marcum...not the name... people getting caught up in the hype.. vexilar.... they are good but Marcum is farther a head in the technology and strenght...

I have the LX-3 which, which has 1500 watts, compared to the vexilar, with a max of 400 watts... If you fish deep water this is a point that need be addressed.. The Marcum will mark smaller lures with a better separation than vexilar at deeper depths... In shallow water there the same but out deep Marcun wins... also I do like the zoom features of the marcum better than vexilar..you can zoom any section of the water column.. and then have the whole column on the other side...

Look and research prior to purchasing and falling into the hype of a name ;)...

Instead of comparing an older generation Vex to a Marcum y not compare apples to apples. The new Vex FL-12 and FL-20 have LED lighting that makes them very easily visible during sunny days. not to mention being packed with numerous other features that the Marcum doesnt still makes Vex the best unit on the market as it has been for years!

Apples to Apples would also have put the LX5 against the Fl-20 (which is the FL-18 with the flat screen), not the LX2 which is not produced anymore against the Fl-18. If you never have compared them side by side on the ice and not by the fact sheets then it is had to make the statement that Vex is better in practicality (Technology advancement does not necessarily mean that it transferes well to everyday use). I am not necessarily saying that Marcum is better, i am just providing side by side on ice observation. Regardless of what i use (which i never stated in this post).

SP 180e

The FL 20 is not an 18 with a flat screen. The screen and define lines and the key thing.....brightness is a lot different than the 18. I have the 20 and it makes the 18 look old school. Please watch the 20 in action before you make assumptions. I agree that the marcum is a good unit and they both do the same thing. Zoom throughout the water column is hardly important. Bottom zoom is the key use of zoom because of the separation off the bottom and being able to see a fish on the bottom. the FL 20 has a very bright screen option and a night option to save power. Does the high power of the marcum go through batteries faster?? I would appreciate it if Vex would power up for deep water (30-40 ft) so I could see small jigs easier. I cant believe I got into this thread.

Originally Posted By: Northdrifter2
Look at the power of the two units... this is what sold me on the Marcum...not the name... people getting caught up in the hype.. vexilar.... they are good but Marcum is farther a head in the technology and strenght...

I have the LX-3 which, which has 1500 watts, compared to the vexilar, with a max of 400 watts... If you fish deep water this is a point that need be addressed.. The Marcum will mark smaller lures with a better separation than vexilar at deeper depths... In shallow water there the same but out deep Marcun wins... also I do like the zoom features of the marcum better than vexilar..you can zoom any section of the water column.. and then have the whole column on the other side...

Too much watts can be a problem.

I had someone tell me the other day... They were fishing shallow waters, and one guy was using a marcum. As soon as he dropped the transducer in the hole, the fish scattered. But on the other hand, fishing with the Vexilar worked just fine.

I just purchased a Marcum LX5 and used it for the first time yesterday. I was in 18 ft. of water fishing for crappies. I put the transducer in the hole and saw fish immediately. There was no spooking the fish at all. They remained there the whole time it took to get a line set up and down there to catch them. They were just fine. The LX5 was very easy to use and the display was great. 2000 watts of power is just fine and is an advantage over vexilar. The target separation is great. I used the Super fine line feature on the LX5 and didn't even need the zoom. I did a lot of checking before making the purchase, observed my son's LX3 and was pretty sure the Marcum was better than anything I had owned. Excellent unit. Highly recommend it.

theicehooker,

Originally Posted By: theicehooker
SP 180e

The FL 20 is not an 18 with a flat screen. The screen and define lines and the key thing.....brightness is a lot different than the 18. I have the 20 and it makes the 18 look old school. Please watch the 20 in action before you make assumptions. I agree that the marcum is a good unit and they both do the same thing. Zoom throughout the water column is hardly important. Bottom zoom is the key use of zoom because of the separation off the bottom and being able to see a fish on the bottom. the FL 20 has a very bright screen option and a night option to save power. Does the high power of the marcum go through batteries faster?? I would appreciate it if Vex would power up for deep water (30-40 ft) so I could see small jigs easier. I cant believe I got into this thread.

My error on the difference of the vex 20 and 18 (but both are way ahead of the Marcum LX2 in technology and price, not necissarily a better product). which again i will state that i still not have reviled what i use, but i guess what i am trying to say in this post that we all have our preferences, but have seen a noticeable difference in the on ice performance of Marcum over Vex. This was the first time that i paid that much attention and really sat there and compared the two. Now i have fished with both in the past and found that i could use the marcum easier but never really focused on it. And for someone to come to a site like this and ask for opinions on such a spendy purchase, they should spend the time one fine fishing day walking around an watching. Then decide for themselves.

The way i look at it the vexlar is the workhouse out of the 2 . the adjustable zoom it is something that very few would use the bottom 6 feet is good enough for me the only time you would need any more would be for crappies . and for the marcum having more power it is an over rated thing unless you are fishing over 50 feet all the time . I most of the time fish less then 20 feet 99.9% of the time.

Originally Posted By: Mike412
 Originally Posted By: Northdrifter2

I had someone tell me the other day... They were fishing shallow waters, and one guy was using a marcum. As soon as he dropped the transducer in the hole, the fish scattered. But on the other hand, fishing with the Vexilar worked just fine.

I have used the MarCum products for years and have never noticed fish scatter when I place my transducer down the hole.

Originally Posted By: Mike412

I do not own a Marcum as of right now,but I will in the future.That being said, I am not buying the above mentioning of a Marcum scattering the fish just by the signal itself.Movement on the ice, over shallow water, can scatter the fish.I need more concrete evidence to show me that the pulse of a signal that is 'too strong' from any flasher, will affect fish behavoir that drastically.

Yeah I find the sound thing scarying the fish [PoorWordUsage]. I have used the Fl-20 and The Lx-5. That is why I own the lx-5. I agree the adjustable zoom isn't needed unless fishing suspended crappies. I would also say I don't see what the big deal is with the flat screen on the vex either. I think the one thing that is being overlooked the most here. Is the Marcums interference rejection. Absolutely top of the line.

Originally Posted By: bimbo
i still think the vexilar is the way to go

This arguement is in at least 3 threads right now. It has been the topic of many threads.

people get so emtional over it. I challenege everyone to compare not only these products, but anthing they may purchase by fact.

fact is vex, No correction the FL-8 has been around for a long time, so long that it has been marketed 3 different companies.

In that time it has built it sound reputation. Also with the likes of Dave Genz we have seen alot of promotion of the FL-8 and the blue box.

In all that time an even today not a whole lot has changed in the technology in the FL-8's all the way up to the FL-20. Each model has a couple of different or extra features.

I myself even own a FL-8 and have had it for about 13 years. It has helped me catch alot of Fish. Which is the point....

But in time, my FL-8 started to show signs of wear. I have wider bands for target display, Noisy operation, and as more and more elctronics are being mobilized for hard water Use, the interfrence rejection has not been what I would completely worked out.

But I could still use my FL-8 and still catch fish. But Every time I was around someone who had a newer FL-8 I could see they had a clearer target display then what my old FL-8 was showing. I couldn't get into deep water with out having to really turn the gain up just to see my lure. but doing so brought more garbage into my displaythat at Times i could not tell if it was fish coming in or what.

Saw the zercom's come into the scene, and have to admit i was impressed with the Power and the degree of target seperation but for me I like the 3 color display and i was not so convinced i would have no problems with the LCD display freezing up on me. not only in use , but in transportation. So there was no way i was even going to spend my hard earned money on a Zercom.

When marcum first came out I checked it out. I was not so convinced with their product and felt it was just a copied imitation of the Vexilars. I saw the LX-3 and even when the LX-3's came out with their true color display. I just was not convince. I seriously started to research the FL-18. but My current FL-8 was working fine for me, and I just could not justifying spending the money on a new flasher period.

Then the LX-5 i started to hear about started to read as much as i could. learned about the built in 2 angle cone. the Fine line seperation, and even the zoom and the movable zoom. all very impressive. For i am a multispecies fisherman. i want a product that will allow me to fish shallow water for panfish, or deep water for lakers.

The 3/4 inch speration in targets is something that has helped me from wondering am I seing one fish or two? is that big Bleep a big ole Walleye, or is it two perch, etc.

I guess what I am saying is you really look at it in a non -emotional point. If you use just facts, you can argue that yes the FL-8 shows me the fish, yes The FL-18 can do split screen zoom, yes the FL-20 has a power saving option for night time use.

But guess what. The LX-5 does all that, except the power saving option. I have to say i have never had a power issue, and i can see my screen just fine in daylight as well as Night time.

It is true My LX-5 does not have a beer can holder on it. It does not have a light on it so it can extend over my hole so I can see my bobber. But i did not buy a fishfinder to be a beer can holder, nor did I buy it to be a lamp.

If you want a unit that is up to date in technology, not something that is just getting by. if you want something that will allow you to fish shallow water as well as deep water, if you want something that can deal and filter unwanted Interfernce ((and crystal clear) you want something that can split scren zoom, and give you 5, 10, and 20 heights of zoom anywhere in a water coloum not just on the bottom. You want great target seperation for thos walleyes that are laying on the bottom, and looks like the bottom on other Units,you want great Customer service ( not that Vex doesn't) how can you honestly not say that the Marcum LX-5 is the best Flasher out on the Market? can you get by and catch fish with the FL-8, 18, or 20 yes, just as you can with alot of the other mobilized fishing electronics. Hands down the LX-5 is the best Flasher period.

Well after 3 pages of the usuall argument between the 2 flashers I've yet to see anyone mention the shutdown factor.

I own both flashers.I started out with a FL8 then went to the FL18.I also have a LX3tc which is now a year old.

I want to point out that interference made me switch to Marcum.

Fishing around a bunch of flashers in 25 fow using my 64th,80th or 100th oz jig I was being shut down due to the clutter.

It was so frustrating.I'm not a meat guy ,but running a minnow allows the gain to be turned way down cutting out some of that interference.So some users may not have this as a big issue for them.For me it was,ergo the switch and I've never been happier.