• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

polaris recall

nine-tiner

Warning: 'Stop immediately' riding Polaris ATVs that are being recalled

By PAUL WALSH [email protected]

February 14, 2008

Nearly 100,000 Polaris all-terrain vehicles are being subjected to a voluntary recall because of electronic control modules on some models of its ATVs that can overheat and risk starting a fire and burning riders, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said today.

Consumers should "stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed," the commission said in a notice issued today.

The recall has the cooperation of Polaris Industries Inc., based in Medina, the commission said.

The electronic control module controls the ignition and fuel injection.

A similar recall was issued in 2005, covering 45,000 of the ATVs. Since that recall, Polaris has received 372 additional reports of smoking and/or melted modules on the recalled ATVs, and 20 reports of fires, nine of which involved property damage beyond the ATV. No injuries have been reported.

According to the commission:

The recall involves select 2005 and 2006 model Polaris Sportsman and Scrambler 500 ATVs. The model and serial numbers are printed on a decal attached to the front of the radiator (Sportsman) or the top of the front cab cover (Scrambler 500). Serial numbers are permanently stamped into the left frame rail behind the left front wheel.

Polaris dealers nationwide have sold them from mid-2004 through last month for between $3,800 and $7,900.

The commission advises consumers to disconnect the negative (black) cable from the battery when the ATV is not in use and then contact a Polaris dealer for a free repair. Registered owners received direct mail notification of this recall.

For more information, call Polaris at 1-888-704-5290 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Central Standard Time Monday through Friday

Here's the model #'s affected.

Description: This recall involves select 2005 through 2006 model Polaris Sportsman and Scrambler 500 ATVs. The model and serial numbers are printed on a decal attached to the front side of the radiator (Sportsman) or the top of the front cab cover (Scrambler 500). Serial numbers are permanently stamped into the left frame rail behind the left front wheel. The recalled models are listed on the chart below.

MODEL YEAR MODEL NAME MODEL NUMBER

2004 SPRTSMN 500 A04CH50AO

2004 SPRTSMN 500 A04CH50AR

2004 SPRTSMN 500 A04CH50AS

2005 INT 500 HO A05MH50FB

2005 SCRMBLR 500 4X4 A05BG50AA

2005 SPRTSMN 400 A05MH42AB

2005 SPRTSMN 400 A05MH42AG

2005 SPRTSMN 400 A05MH42AH

2005 SPRTSMN 500 A05MH50AB

2005 SPRTSMN 500 A05MH50AC

2005 SPRTSMN 500 A05MH50AG

2005 SPRTSMN 500 A05MH50AH

2005 SPRTSMN 500 A05MH50AL

2005 SPRTSMN 500 A05MH50AT

2005 SPRTSMN 600 A05MH59AK

2005 SPRTSMN 600 A05MH59AN

2005 SPRTSMN 6X6 A05CL50AA

2005 SPRTSMN 6X6 MIL A05CL50MA

2005 SPRTSMN 700 A05MH68AD

2005 SPRTSMN 700 A05MH68AK

MODEL YEAR MODEL NAME MODEL NUMBER

2005 SPRTSMN 700 A05MH68AN

2005 SPRTSMN 700 MIL A05MH68MB

2005 SPRTSMN MV7 A05MH68AP

2005 SPRTSMN MV7 A05MH68CA

2005 SPRTSMN MV7 A05MH68MA

2006 INT SPTSMAN 500 A06MH50FB

2006 SCRMBLR 500 4X4 A06BG50AA

2006 SPRTSMN 450 A06MH46AA

2006 SPRTSMN 450 A06MH46AC

2006 SPRTSMN 450 A06MH46AD

2006 SPRTSMN 450 A06MH46AF

2006 SPRTSMN 450 A06MH46AT

2006 SPRTSMN 500 A06MH50AA

2006 SPRTSMN 500 A06MH50AB

2006 SPRTSMN 500 A06MH50AD

2006 SPRTSMN 500 A06MH50AF

2006 SPRTSMN 6X6 A06CL50AA

2006 SPRTSMN 700 A06MH68AA

2006 SPRTSMN 700 A06MH68AD

2006 SPRTSMN 700 A06MH68AF

Does this mean that Polaris is also no good for Minnesota? What is your opinion on this on Kodiak, Roofer,? I'd hate to see Polaris fail because of the high cost of recall fixes. I sure hope you don't put them into into a "bad for Minnesota and American Companies because of this!

I cant imagine it will cost them that much. They probly get those modules for $15 and it probly isnt that big of deal to put in. Look at how many actually had a problem compared to how may of those machines are out there! Even the best company has recalls from time to time.

Originally Posted By: Freewheeler
Does this mean that Polaris is also no good for Minnesota? What is your opinion on this on Kodiak, Roofer,? I'd hate to see Polaris fail because of the high cost of recall fixes. I sure hope you don't put them into into a "bad for Minnesota and American Companies because of this!

i believe it is good for you guys because you could burn your polaris down to the ground yourself and collect the insurance and in turn get a can am.

Originally Posted By: Roofer
Oh, and you would have to have two Popo's burn down to afford a can of spam. But after the can am burns you have alot of aluminum to recycle.

well if we are going there....you can take the money from your crispy fried 07 and buy a lifetime supply of belts for your belt burner bruteforce.

Originally Posted By: Kodiak
Oh, and you would have to have two Popo's burn down to afford a can of spam. But after the can am burns you have alot of aluminum to recycle.

well if we are going there....you can take the money from your crispy fried 07 and buy a lifetime supply of belts for your belt burner bruteforce.

Haven't gone through a belt yet, but I don't mud ride with canams either and have to pull them out! haha

Just jokin' with ya.

Here is what I was told from a people I buy all my polaris stuff from:

Some of the ones that were replaced were recalled again. If you have one that needs replaced Polaris will send a letter as well as we will send a reminder letter. They didn't send us a list of names they just gave us a list of model numbers that may be affected. If you don't get a letter from polaris or us, assume that yours is fine.

Any dealers in the state of Minnesota have those Electronic Control Module's (ECM) on hand? Back ordered everywhere I checked. With the ECM controlling the AWD, fan and heat sensor not real excited about driving the Sportsman until it gets repaired.

I would guess all dealers are having the same issue getting replacement parts. When issues like this arise (bad parts), manufacturers have to find out why, how to fix it, contact the supplier with new revisions/orders, and wait. Unfortunately, this all trickles down to lost time for the customer.

Good to hear Polaris is on top of this instead of letting people wonder.

Hey Roofer,

You need to change your avatar, what are you doing in that pic, (looking for lost, dropped of pieces to the Kawi)?

By the way your dressed, ,, Meaning no FILSON hat, means your not tree hugging.. AND no camo your not Bowhunting.. Looks like riding gear!,,

Oh I see, looking for anchor point to winch your kawi across,,,,lol

Sorry, J/K-ing luv 2 rip ya

Later

CAN AM

My 2005 had the recall done the first time around. Polaris sent me a card in the mail and I brought it in. They have not sent me a card for a second recall so I assume all is well. If it burns I got insurance. No big deal. Dealer said it was a very small percentage of em that actually had a problem. I don't think it's any reason to panic.

Originally Posted By: killerloop1

Hey Roofer,

You need to change your avatar, what are you doing in that pic, (looking for lost, dropped of pieces to the Kawi)?

By the way your dressed, ,, Meaning no FILSON hat, means your not tree hugging.. AND no camo your not Bowhunting.. Looks like riding gear!,,

Oh I see, looking for anchor point to winch your kawi across,,,,lol

Sorry, J/K-ing luv 2 rip ya

Later

CAN AM

Oh, you know, I was thinking about how I could drive into that river to wash my atv off. J/K

Oops nope, I change my story. I was walking the wooded trails that day looking for berries and birds to photograph when I came across a creek. The rocks looked pretty so I wanted a closer look. It's still legal to dip your feet in the rivers of MN, right?

Oops nope, I change my story. I was walking the wooded trails that day looking for berries and birds to photograph when I came across a creek. The rocks looked pretty so I wanted a closer look. It's still legal to dip your feet in the rivers of MN, right?

THATS YOU !!!

I wouldn't hold your breath, on it being legal.

I think someone would play the fungus on feet or hair on legs card,, (polution control) better yet MET COUNCIL!!!!<<<did I say thay...shhhhh