• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle photographic adventure

Great shots as always Buzz. The gathering dates this December would not work for me, but I am very interested in joining you on an outing after the first of the year. Let me know if you get another date set and have room for another.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a day off and spent it at the rivers edge... not much action the last few days as the recent warmer temps opened the river up and gave the eagles other areas away from humans places to hunt... I concentrated on the Goldeneye that would come in close once in a while. I'm hoping this cold weather locks up the river and concentrates the eagles they way they were last week. Keep your fingers crossed.

90321213.jpg

I was -2/3 stop and shot this in raw and still toasted some of the whites....

Thanks, Mike. I was as low as I could be at the rivers edge... I shot this with my 300mm with the 1.4x TC attached and it is slightly cropped for comp. I generally won't shoot ducks anymore unless I am at their level... much more appealing. cool.gif

Buzzsaw,

Since I will be renting a decent zoom for the trip, what length would you recomend for the locattion. I will probably put in the order Sat, or Monday. Options look to be 70-200 L, 100-300, 300L, 400L.

Paul, if you're going for an affordable combo out to 400mm, you're probably best off with the 300 f2.8 or f4 and 1.4 TC. Putting the 2TC on the 70-200 with degrade image quality quite a bit and, as buzz said, will slow down autofocus. The 300f4 will be quite a bit lighter and easier to handhold than the f2.8, and with the 1.4TC you will still have a max of f5.6, which should be OK.