• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle photographic adventure

Quote:

To find the right manual exposure, an easy way is to meter the bird in Av mode, take a few shots and check the histogram. If the whites in the eagle's head are not blown out, keep pushing the histogram slightly to the right by stopping down aperture a bit. When you get to the point that the eagle's head/tail start blinking, back it off a notch or two and you're ready to shoot. Those setting will ensure you've got the highlights all in hand but that you're exposing far enough "to the right" so the dark portions of the bird won't be full of noise.

Steve, what I meant was, based on your methods, we would need a lot of eagles to practice on. Shoot an eagle, check the histogram, shoot another eagle, check the histogram again, shoot another eagle, check the histogram again, and by now, we should have the exposure down pat. Unfortunately, we may be out of eagles by then. grin.gif

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will throw my method in for manual, gets me through most every situation outside, inside wherever. I take a shot of my open hand facing the direction I will be shooting in so the light is falling on the hand as it will on the subject. The average hand is actually a good 18% grey card.

Shoot the hand look at the histogram, rarely ever more than a stop off, if it is adjust. Take one shot of your subject look at the histogram and 99 times out of 100 it is right on. wink.gif If you get blinking highlights just back it off until they are not blinking and go 1/3 stop under and you are good to go. Just another way to get to the final result, a properly exposed photo.

Gee wiz, now I need ot hurry up an buy a better zoom, otherwise I'll look like the little dorky kid with the alligator on his shirt and velcro shoes.

Buzzsaw, What time are you thinking? I was not planning to be down till saturday but can change plans to be down Friday night if best time is say earlier than 9am, My brother lives in Hastings and I could just come earlier if the Kennel has room for my kids(err dogs.....) laugh.gif

Paul, we will probably meet around 8:00 am. As far as your exposure goes guys, we will have plenty of shots to dial it in. I'll tell you that I generally shoot in Aperture Priority and if the sun is out start by immediately shooting something with white in it at even and then begin dialing it back as needed in 1/3 stop increments. I'll mention that shooting in Raw will give you some additional latitude in PP. Off to work I go....

Lol!...Apparently XT has had his fill of chickadees.. grin.gifjust a "chickadee thought " here grin.gif...those chickadees have been a "big" part of my photography "learning" curve...stealth,holding the camera steady,getting as close as one can,plus, one of the biggest things of all,forgetting the camera entirely and noticeing the subtle nature of the little guys ,habits etc...to me a chickadee is just as nice to photograph as an eagle (but that's just me and the enjoyment levels differ obviously from person too person grin.gif)...I really don't "tire" of em because each day even the chickadees hold a potentially different"pose" interesting background etc....the way we individually enjoy the things in nature are different for each of us...everything in nature intrigues me...I'm a true nature buff I'll admit...from a wasp on a spring flower....a mushroom on a moss covered log...a deer in a field....yes.even that "over" photographed chickadee on a sprig of balsam...it's a day in the nature buff/photographers life....How many of us actually put the camera down(well, hesitate between clicking the shutter would be more approprite I guess grin.gif) versus the enjoyment of what your witnessing in front of you...some days just more exciting then others but "all" good from my standpoint......My heart's still beating,enjoyed the first cup of coffee that morning...only got a pic of a chickadee but you know,thats ok grin.gif the day ended well grin.gif.....with that thought in mind,the Sax Zim bog gathering may very well be filled with chickadees and no doubt "will".... just what if we don't see wolves,fox,moose etc but only "lowly" chickadees...will one leave that gathering with a sad face ....I denote high expectations here.

Good thoughts, Jonny.

My expectations for the S-Z Bog gathering are for some good fellowship with FMers I haven't met in person, some teaching and some learning, and whatever happens to fly/run/swim across the field of our lenses will get shot.

We have a different situation from the eagle excursion, where those things I mentioned also are goals but where there is a specific target with expectations built in.

So I for one am looking at a nice easy day driving and walking around the bog with some cool people locating nice specific spots I can return to later on my own.

Jonny, I have learned from experience, not to set my expectations real high. However, I do expect the members I meet, to be as sociable and helpful in person, as you are online. tongue.gif I always look forward to an excuse to head north. I love the north country and just having the possibility of seing something unique, excites me. All the times I traveled thru the Ely area, during my days of tackle sales, I rarely saw anything exciting, but I sure enjoyed the drive. I always had a camera, but never took a picture. I just love being with nature and in the wilderness.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you guys and seeing what's up there this time of the year. If I come back with one awesome photo of something new, I'll be thrilled. If not, I expect it will be a rewarding weekend anyhow.

Also, I'll never get my fill of chickadees, or even nuthatches.

I'm sorry jonny you may be reading more into this than I am? I have re-read X's comments a few times and I am not seeing anything other than he is looking forward to the outing and gaining some new found friends and knowledge, no expectations of what will be photographed.

Man, I really feel bad regarding this. Maybe I overuse the emoticons. When I mentioned that the eagles seem more exciting than chickadees, I was referring to the chickadee shots I had been taking. I wasn't even thinking about anyone elses. If you recall, I had just posted some chickadee shots.

I really and sincerely apologize for the way I came across. I hope you reconsider, Jonny. I'd really like to meet you and the others. I've had my heart set on this since I talked myself into it. I'd like to meet you in person and shake your hand. I believe, once we get to know each other, we'd get along just fine. And like I said, I can never get enough of chickadees and nuthatches and downys, and basically any birds, other than starlings.

I certainly accept your heart felt apology Xt ,all embarassing to say the least,the more one types the deeper it gets......certainly not looking for anyone taking "sides" ....the cups half "full" or it's half "empty"...all perspective....the moderators carry the "hammer"....if you feel and find it's in favor of the "other guy", so be it..... things happen in life and not much more to add to that.... theatrics aside...I like posting images of "everything"....and will never complain "ever again" of what that image is....to much of this, to much of that don't cut it for me....it's the world we live in ,even that over photographed chickadee....... great people here and sometimes things get somewhat "fuzzy" ......this is and was in that category....I'm just not in the frame of mind for the "bog walk" yet.....and certainly don't wait for me.... takes time for the adrenalin to come down...

As far as I'm concerned, there is no half full or half empty cup. There are no sides to take. This was all just a misunderstanding. Now that we realize this, we can move on and continue learning and posting photos of anything nature throws our way.

Awwww, group hug!!

All in fun... Eagles are cooler than Chickadees! Ha ha..... grin.gifwink.gif

You sax-zim peeps can post wolves, coyotes, fox, Owls and chickadees and us city folk will see if we can come up with anything okay. tongue.gif

Weird, I always take a peek as I cross the river on my way to work. Yesterday I spotted some baldies down there and was going to mention it online as a good place to get some shots, then I forgot. Then I pop in here today and saw the title of the thread, and was thinkin I bet I know where, sure enough. grin.gif

Are you feeding the eagles Buzz?? wink.gif

I'm already so excited I haven't slept in 2 days. grin.gif

You don't need to make it worse.

I hope the light is better so we can get better shots than these horrible shots you have. wink.gif Just kidding!

Looking forward to it.

Mike