• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

terrible story in star trib

bigeyes

Very, Very sad. I hate to say this, but I'm afraid there will be more. The way these lakes are opening up even when we are having the coldest temperatures of the year, is very dangerous. With no snow cover we should be making major ice. They say it is due to excess rainfall last year and high groundwater. Whatever the case, please everyone use extra caution.

I thought I read in the paper that this was the 10th.

The big question here, what are a 16 and 17 yr old doing out @ midnight?

This must have been common for the girl because the parents didn't file a complaint until 6am the following morning.

When did lakes become roadways?

Ice is like Fire, an accident waiting to happen if you're not careful.
To qoute the movie Backdraft: "You have to respect the beast."

Yeah I was kinda wondering what they were doing out there? It is hard to pass judgement because I have made my fair share of bad calls that looking back I was lucky.

Heck in h.s. we always drove out on lakes when were were not fishing, but we usually stayed near the access.

I would pass on being a pioneer this winter and exploring new ice by vehicle. Plus it is been soooo cold. If that girl would of went in a couple of weeks ago she might of made it to shore. What does hypothermia do the the body? Do you blank out? How long does it take to set in? I need to learn more.....

Swill,

You should read up on hypothermia- it's an incredible thing. It's actually the by-product of the body's attempt at preserving one's life in dire situations. But, very scary. The drop in body temp. makes the body regulate blood supply to the top priority areas- the heart/lungs and the brain. In the meantime, the rest of the body is starved for blood, oxygen, and heat. Decision making/common sense leave one's capacity very quickly- people with hypothermia have been known to do some very odd-looking things, but can't reason well enough to make otherwise common sense decisions. It sets in EXTREMELY QUICKLY. If you hit the water in conditions like we've seen the past week or so, don't expect to be able to do a dang thing as soon as you're wet. I mean virtually anything- many can't even grab a rope after being in cold water for less than a minute. For this reason a rope should have a loop big enough to fit a person in so they don't have to grasp it.
Bad, bad deal that we all hope we'll never have to deal with. Best means of dealing with it is prevention- don't get in a bad situation. Also, plan ahead- bring a rope, dry clothes, blankets and ALWAYS BE WITH A BUDDY OR TWO.
Stay dry and warm.
Scoot

According to the article, a truck fell through the same hole a day before teeenagers. I wonder if they may have followed that vehicles tracks, unsuspecting that that those tracks only went one direction.

My cousin was lost for an entire evening back I believe it was the fall of 97 or 98 in So. Dak. He, another cousin and a foreign exchange student went out to survey hunting land. This was on a school day and school had been closed early because of a blizzard approaching. Anyways they got to the field and ended up getting stuck. My one cousin decided he was going to get out and walk to my uncles farm that was a mile away. Well he got out and ended up getting turned around and decided to follow the fence line. He wasn't found until the next day. froze but still alive. I think if there would've been snow she may have had a little more of a chance butthen again maybe not.

I've taken a few dunkings while trapping. It is frightening how fast your arms and legs become less and less effective. Your first reflex when you hit cold water is to breath in, and if your head is under water, you are in big trouble if you aspirate cold water into your lungs.

In every one of my soakings, there was always a log or branch to grab on help me get out.

Looking back, I have been pretty lucky. I am much more careful now.

That story is very troubling to me, as it seem the parents knew they were going out on the ice with a vehicle.

Here is a classic example someone thinking that those things only happen to other people(until it happens to you).

You don't realize how quickly a bad decision can turn a situation really bad.

Unfortunately it is young people that usually learn those things the hardest way possible.

As bad as it sounds dying of hypothermia would actually be a fairly pleasant way to die. After the body temperature drops below a certain point shivering stops and you become numb. after a while you actually begin to feel warm. At this point you are disoriented and your ability to think clearly is long gone. Most victims then just go to sleep and never wake up. A large percentage of hypothermia victims are found with much of there clothing removed ( hats gloves coats shoes etc. ) because they think they are warm.

I think people need to pay attention more to where they are driving. It seems that the majority of these accidents are from driving off the ice into open water, rather than actually falling through the ice.

Since we are on the topic of falling through, I carry those $3.00 spikes with me all the time while on the ice. I usually keep them in my pocket. I know they are a good idea, I just wonder if I'd be able to operate my jacket zipper and pulling those spikes apart in the crucial moment of going in. Anyone have any experiece/opinions on this?

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

I'll tell you why kids, ages 16-17-18, are doing on the ice just driving around. My mom works for the Forest Lake school district and the IN thing now is to go parking on the ice with boy or girlfriend. I SAY THAT IS RIDICULOUS! She says thats what teens think is cool, to go out on the ice instead of a dirt road. Where is the safety in this?

I question some of these deaths this year. I call it plain stupidity!