• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice fishing 2007-2008

Hey I resemble that remark . . .actually will be in Albany Thursday and then off to New Mexico until next Thursday. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can still get on the ice the 5th. I would go "after work" today, but need to get an honest 4 hours in . . .Tomorrow after work is a possibility. Tank and Jay . . .neat house and nice meeting Mom and Beth. Now Jay, you did notice I did not say anything about weeding . . .

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see you fellas out there enjoying some ice fishing grin.gif Fishinking, you have mastered the fish close up photo grin.gif Looks like we'll have at least another week or maybe two yet on some lakes here including the KING! This seems to be shaping up to be the latest ice fishing season I can ever remember on lakes that are normally not so good by this time in March. I've been just jigging lakers hard the last few weekends and put in another 16 hours the past two days sitting in the trap over anywhere from 140' to 160' of water staring at the vex ;\) I took my largest trout of the season yesterday which was in that 10 to 11lb sweetspot. Nice quick release and back to grow bigger with the others. Maybe one more laker trip this weekend and then busting out the plank and going after perch and crappies next week and as far into April as I can \:\) Then it's time to work my way through the extended house project list that "she the one who must be obeyed" made up for me and back into the fishing for the walleye opener and stripers in the Hudson!

John...John...is that you?

I was wondering if you were cooped up in the office, but I knew better cool.gif

Well boys, I went and worked some of my solo fishing magic on a disclosed lake littered with my old GPS marks and had a great Callie Finallie cry.gif As karma worked in my favor, by not having a Camera on me. I mustered up some of the biggest Calicos of my life...and I have 2 going to the Taxi tomorrow morning in South Otselic. So, the camera would have been futile. One was 15.5 and the other was 16.75. It should take until July 4th before I can have them mountable. My next step for the indiginous mount is some Wood from the Body of Water in which they came from. Todd, I think you know where they came from ;\) All said and done I could have put an easy limit of 25 in TWO pals with barely enough room to place the Brown Stoney in which they were caught on, in the top of the pal.

I don't think Snagger and Fishboy found my sacred spot whistle.gif

I am conteplating putting up the midget rods away for the season...but I can't knock the smile off my face with a sledge hammer. All other fish were released except the first 2 that were 14 plus inches because I thought they were the first to go to the Taxi. Boy were thay great on a nice Roasted Garlic Kaiser Roll>

Talk to you boys soon...man I won't be able to sleep tonight blush.gif

Oh...I forgot to say...I LOVE LATE ICE crazy.gif

Way to go John and Doug... Holy smokes Doug those callies blow away my biggest at 15 and 15 1/4" that's huge Doug. Hitting the big O tomorrow off Bernhards Bay. Talked to Mike and he caught 6 but marked another 18 he couldn't get to go. About a 3/4 mi. hump out in the morning with Z hopefully this late ice flurry with big fish will continue. Doug that's a fantastics day my frined, Wow!

Way to Go Chef! Those are awesome fish, cant wait to see the mounts.

Im off wed and we'll be on the ice somewhere. I want to do Oneida but will keep an eye on the wind and maybe head south to our crappie lake. I know there are some mountable fish in there and its time...

Otis- I did a little jig tying thread. Heres the link, maybe this will help you some...

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1330485#Post1330485

Chef, great job! I had a lake like that in my back yard, but then a few started taking everything they caught from some structure they put in and after about a year . . .you were lucky to catch anything even close to 15. Keep it close to your heart until you know people will only keep a few with the rest CAR. Insurance Guy, was wondering what happened to you. Too bad you weren't able to make it out here this year . . . plan on next year when we say the bite is hot, we owe you.

Nice Doug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got to love those hog crappies, I have a place that I get them right at ice out and I'm getting all my stuff together right now. Do you catch them in the same place at ice out, spring or summer?

Here it is late ice and we are stuck at work!!!!!!!!!!! I can hear the fish calling me.

Awesome post Jay! I'm going to save that and the painting post off to word files so I can reference them any time I want. I'm hooking up with a friend of mine to pick up some tying supplies this week. I’ll let you know how I make out.

I also sent you and Tim an email, good luck on the ice.

Otis I got the info from Jay thanks.... I will check the details later. Fished with "Z" off Taft Bay and we did some walking... I bet Z was about 2 miles east of meat one point... We started in 32' of water but were no where near the area where Mike was when he ran into them. Tought to see this morning for parking and didn't want to chance it... Todd got me thinking shallow so I started making my move back in and I would drill a hole every 50-60 yards and fish. Banged my first keeper perch at 22' thanks to the Dark Cloud orange alien ant...

1001152ol2.jpg

Here's Rob "Z" getting set up in 32'...

1001151zo8.jpg

Here's a nicee 11" that loved Jay's ant...

1001156zk0.jpg

Then I saw this decent mark 3' off in 16.5' of water and low and behold I caught this eye. Figures, I can't catch them when the season's still open.. Nice eater released... Thanks to the Hali Timanti, bright orange...

1001153rj5.jpg

And about 30 minutes later in 17' I caught this nice walleye on the Timanti... Released unharmed...

1001154xc9.jpg

Closer shot... Fun on 2 lb. test while on the phone with Dark Cloud, thanks buddy ;\)

1001155ts2.jpg

Well it was better than being at work. Saw three guys close together off Jack Coleman's \:\) Good fishing with Z, had breakfast with Tuzzy in the morning in Rome just to see if he would possibly call in sick today. Well he was better off working, not many fished marked. That's how it goes...

Fished little O today 2 of us fished 9am-4pm and another guy joined us and fished 11am-4pm eventually had all 15 tipups out and caught 20 perch 9"-13" and even jigged a few up (a rarity at this place) a bunch of slime darts again and 2 small smallies 1lb-1 1/2lbs.

no pics today sorry guys

Fishingking - Z was mentioning hitting C Saturday, just a thought, waiting to hear from Aaron possibly later this week, really don't want to give up on the Big "O" just yet. Safety is the main thing on that lake.

Looks like Rosa and Amanda are leaving for Albany (dance) around noon Saturday so the dog will be fine if I come home by 5 p.m... On Sunday the girls won't be back until 5 p.m. so I may fish the morning Sunday, come home and spend some time with the pooch and then back out later in the afternoon, will see.

Z - BTW I talked with Manlius Mike tonight and he only caught 1 perch and marked 6-8 and then got blown in from the lake a 1/2 hour prior to sunset, the winds shifted to the South and were whipping pretty good going back to shore that his trap was in front of him the hole walk-in.. That tree that he went out by from shore well he stopped about 1 1/2 ft. shy of stepping on land, bad move, he ended up going down in the water to his knee..

Originally Posted By: CNY Tim
Fishingking - Z was mentioning hitting C Saturday, just a thought, waiting to hear from Aaron possibly later this week, really don't want to give up on the Big "O" just yet. Safety is the main thing on that lake.

yeah let me know ill probably be there somewhere haven't heard any reports but know a couple guys that were on C Monday but don't know about Tues? ill give them a ring friday and see where the fish have been

Well it could be time to put a fork in her. Tank and I headed down to our PA crappie spot this afternoon and did not like the ice. 2 weeks ago when him and Billy were there the lake had 18 inches of ice - half hard, half white snow ice. Well today it was down to 10 inches of junk. We were able to get on it, barely, but while sitting on your trap you were with you boot heel able to scrape away the top 5 inches easily. It was sunny, windy, and 50 degrees - just like the day we went through Sandy pond 20 years ago. We fished a few minutes and decided to bail.

Holding on to some hope for saturday but it might be trout time...

Well I have to say Jay when I talked to Z off Coleman's the ice was granulated and he knew going back in he would find the shore very iffy to get out dry. He caught 3 perch and that was it and pulled off at noon. I think I will start getting the stuff out of my van Sunday.

chef and I went to small side of ebanks tonight Ice was decnt there still a good 10-12" slushy on the way out but tightened right back up when we left.Bite was slow but still managed about 10 gills,1 perch ,1 lg mout and one pickeral.

100_2088.jpg

look at the overbite

100_2089.jpg

100_2090.jpg

100_2091.jpg

100_2092.jpg

100_2093.jpg

Great job guys!!!!!!!!

Chef, I did the same thing at E-banks 3 years ago. I dropped it in the snow on a Sunday and my buddy went fishing there on a Monday and I was calling it thinking I left it in my truck at work but it turned out it was ringing on the ice and he found. He answered it and it caught me by surprise and I hung up.. LOL He called me back and I couldn't believe my phone was calling me back when I saw it on the caller ID. I might be there as soon as the ice leaves, we've gotten the big perch there right at ice out and if you are a week after it's gone your to late for them big jacks in that bay.

Sorry bout the phone Doug that stinks... Great pictures from all you guys.. Great news that Eleanor is still hanging on which means Lebanon and Hunts Pond are probably holding well, gotta love those upper elevation locations. That gill's got a nice fatty tucked in there, eh Kyle grin.gif

Fished little O today just me and my buddy. Fishing was slow got 3 keeper perch 9", 12" and 12.5" a few pickerel and numerous flags from nibbling fish. We had visitors today 1 mature bald eagle and 3 immature Eagles landed on the ice about 300 yards away.

This guy made the morning 22 1/4" Brown Trout and exactly 4lbs on the scale \:\) was real fun to pull in on a tipup. These browns have razors for teeth and you never know when your line could just snap. It took about 15 minutes to get him in. Just deep fried some up, cant get much fresher than that.

DSC02978.jpg

That trout looks mad mad.gifgrin.gif He's got an evil look in his eye! Fishinking, how can you keep that Mustang suit looking so clean. Mine looks like I've pulled a car engine and changed out a couple trannys with it on grin.gif Things are looking good for the KING this weekend and the big perch bite sounds like it's going good just as it should be for this time of year. It's looking like we're going to make it into early April here and the ice is hanging tough.