• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A little humor to lighten the day

Jim W

Well, being a new father etc. kept me quite tied up the last month and a half. However, last night during a moment of reflection, I recalled a humorous scene that occurred at the start of my only(yes only) ice fishing outing of the season.(that is soon to change, YEHAA)

A few friends and I left early from work on a Friday to get a little sunfish/crappie ice fishin' in.

It was fairly mild so I carried my Carhart cover-alls along, putting them on once we drilled our holes.

To back up a step, I had stored my insulated cover-alls in the exposed attic in my attached garage.(getting the picture yet?)

Well, I was pumped, eager to wet my line.
TO throw a wrench into it, I hadn't charged my vexilar enough. So I had to listen to "G-eye pilot" and JA SAY TREE, ooohing and awwwwing over all of the marks on their flashers.

Well, it was a bit windy and a chill began to over take me. SO I grabbed my Carharts, slipping into them one leg at a time. As soon as I zipped them all of the way up, I hear a high pitched Screeech, screech!

"%&*^&%%*^*^*$#$@$#^&$*#!!!!!!)", I yelled!
"A mouse"!!! Too bad the other guys were tucked away nice and cozy in their Otters, cause they would have witnessed the fastest
shedding of a fully insulated pair of cover-alls in ice fishing history!!

The next scene takes you to yours truly, madly stomping up and down on my carharts!
"Die, die you...." I barked!

I still believe the stomping attracted all of the fish!!!LOL

Have fun fishing people!!

Jim W

Jim W, I wouldn't be laughing so hard if I hadn't been sitting in my house last night watching the old bobber and hear the rumblings in a box of snacks my friends brought the other day. Well, you may have shed your coveralls pretty fast but I would have made UPS or Fed Ex proud of how quickly that box went out the door into the -6 air! Thanks for the laugh and congrat's on the new little one!!

That reminds me of what happened to me when I was about 13-14 yrs. old. We used to fish a creek/pond near home almost daily for pike and carp and it was surrounded by a meadow. Well, me and my buds are walking along through the meadow in knee high prairie grass when all of the sudden I feel something running up my pant leg! I went absolutely nuts trying to get my belt undone to drop my pants to no avail. I finally came to my senses and unzipped my zipper, all the while my buddies are in total amazement by what's going down. I get my zipper undone, pull my shorts aside and this field mouse litorally jumps 2-3 ft. straight out from my crotch. Just like it's one of those spring things in a can. My buddies were all on the ground laughing so hard they were crying and I was just standing there shaking. Looking back it was pretty funny, but it really scared the dump out of me. Thanks for the memory. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Eyewitness (edited 01-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Eyewitness (edited 01-15-2003).]

Jim,
First off, congrats on the little one. As a first time dad also (6 month old now) I have done precious little icing myself, but he is worth every missed second. Cant wait til I can take him out with me smile.gif
Second thanks for the laugh, and best check them out again before you hit the laker get-together. There will be far too many guys there to miss that again grin.gif

Xplorer

Xplorer,
THanks!!
This was my second fisherman born under my "roof".

I have had my carharts sitting outside since the Mouse "freak out"! Hoping to freeze any others that might have intentions in looking for a warm hide out!

See ya on the 8th!!!!

Jim W

Congrats to the new dads. You might be short on ice time now, but just think in a couple of years you'll able to strap that car seat to the Otter or Clam sled. Your wives shouldn't have any problem with you going fishing then, as you can also tell her you'll babysit the little one. Great stories...good luck and hang on Bill

You're fine unless you do what I've done. Youngest turned 3 in November and I still haven't been out this year. Wife has been on bed rest since Mid October w/ our 2nd her 3rd, due beginning of March. I get to go this weekend, because I had comitted to a tourny otherwise I would be stuck at home. Kids love to fish though. The 3 yr old would set on the end of the dock as long as someone was out there, some nights until 11, 12. Wouldn't want to go in. Guess I've trained him right. Last winter we we're out for 8 hours on the Horseshoe chain. I just had him sit in my 1 1/2 man portable w/ the heater to keep warm. Never a complaint.

This question goes out to the more experienced dads...As I am a newer dad with my first one being 14 months. OK, the question, at what age have you taken your little ones out to come sit out on the ice with you and have been able to enjoy it? Maybe that is a two part question that needs two separate answers smile.gif Same question for summer angling.

------------------
Hemlock
"Throw'm back"

My little fishin partner Tyler has been out 4 times this year . I started taking him out last year a little over 3 years old. He had fun, bring lots of snacks!!!!!! As long as there's fish he is fishing.If the action slows too much he gets bored. He seems to like crappies the best but whatever is biting will do . Just have fun and don't expect to be there for 4-5 hours. If he has fun he will want to go all the time..

Get him hooked early you will have a bud for life!!!
Scott

[This message has been edited by snapjigger (edited 01-16-2003).]

Took my son out for first time in fishhouse when he was 14-15 months old. Had him sitting there in his carseat playing with a jiggle-stick and drinking juice. Not bad until it was time to change the diaper...WHEW, talk about noxious gases in an enclosed area!!! shocked.gif
And for in the boat...it was as soon as it got nice & warm out. grin.gif

With all of my 4 children I have found 3 to be a good age to start them outdoors.

It has been a real positive experience for them and me but you have to go out with the right goals in mind. You are not out there to catch fish - you are out there to teach and enjoy watching them discover and learn.....It is great and you will never be sorry for taking the time to do it right!!!!

Enjoy,

Dr. Bob

P.S. Jim W. - Congrats smile.gif There is nothing greater than having a child of your own! I enjoy BSing about kids as much as I enjoy BSing about fishing smile.gif . Maybe we'll get a chance in Ely to compare notes on raising chitlins smile.gif .

Children are what you put into them- the rest you just hope your prayers they turn out O.K.
I was a single parent for most of my son's life. He was in the truck with me when I was fishing Carson's bay on Mtka in late fall. He was there when we fished jumbo perch late winter on mille lacs. In one morning almost back to back he caught a 15" and 15/1/2" perch and I have the photo's to prove it. My son always outdid me any given day, but what a wonderful oppurtunity to let your children to see what they are made of!! This is what truly precious memories are all about.

------------------

Guess I'll have to check out my own Carhartts now! They have been hanging in the garage for about a year since I found three (formerly frozen and bagged) ciscoes in one of the pockets. (I know people who are famous for hiding stinky things in other peoples gear) Might just be cold enough now to slip them on again this week. Haven't needed 'em yet this year.(They might have helped yesterday!)....Enjoy those kids and fishing with them when they are young. Mine are grown now and I'm lucky to get them in the boat once-twice a year. None of them really ever liked ice fishing......