• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BigHorn/MST observations

Roofer

I recieved my used set of 26" Bighorns on Maxlite wheels. These tires look stout, but don't have the cool factor look of the mst's IMO.

100_0916.jpg

I weighed them with 5 psi and they were about 30 lbs. front and 34lbs. rear. Amazingly they are the same exact size as the mst's with 4 psi. MST's are 27" and Bighorns are 26".

100_0927.jpg

100_0922.jpg

100_0921.jpg

I only took them on a short ride in my field, but the Bighorns have better traction in the sand and on the grass. I have no rocks, mud, or snow to play in just yet, but I will mention how they do when I get the opportunity. I didn't notice anything as far as radial or non-radial. They both handled well, but the Bighorns were a little softer on the bumps. I think these will be great for anyone who is a trailrider. If you plan on some mud though, the MST's will also do great on the trail, but better in the mud. That is a given. I expect the Bighorns to work great for me in the dry season and on rocks and sand. This is not a review, as I haven't gotten much time on them yet, but just a few observations so far.

100_0929.jpg100_0930.jpg

Roofer, the tires look great. The one thing that I am unsure of is how good they are in the mud. I have thought about getting a set but I would like to read about some real results before I spring for them. I don't ride a whole lot in the mud and the smoother ride would be nice at times. I do like the Yamaha sicker on the front. grin.gif Very nice.

Thanks. The stickers are for fun with some people I know. smile.gif

If you don't ride mud often, these tires would be great. I have read quite a few posts on other forums about them. The price is rather steep compared to other tires, but I bought mine used. I got the wheels and tires for the price of tires alone.

For a long time I had a "Yamahauler" sticker on the rear of mine just to rattle my buddy. The funny part about it is that the very day I installed it I got to drag him out of a mess. He resisted as long as he could until the bugs and heat made him surrender. Still makes me chucle thinkin about it laugh.gif

Nice lookin' machine there. smile.gif

The MST's are great. I will still use them in the wetter parts of the year. I wanted to have something for the dryer areas and for rocks. Plus I found a good deal, so I jumped on it.

I was wondering if you tried out those Bighorns, were they any good in the snow? I'm looking for a good set of tires for winter since thats when I put the most miles on with plowing and ice-fishin'. I wish they made BFG A/T KO's for wheelers smile.gif

I did try out the Bighorns last weekend in the snow. It has been so cold and when it's warm I work until dark. I had about 8-10" of snow in my field and the tires performed very well. The snow was like powder. I took it in 2wd and the tires dug well, then I slowed and watched how they dug in the snow and got traction. Plan on getting video of this if I get a chance. In 4wd I could drive around easily and look back to see the perfect footprint of the tire. That means I wasn't just spinning down to solid ground to get traction. They seem to float well in the snow we have now. I am interested to see how they do in the sloppy wet snow/slush.

I have BFG AT KO's on my truck and if there is one tire close to that it would be the Bighorns. The MST's are more of the BFG M/T type tire. I'm thinking the bighorns will get a better grip on the frozen stuff as they have great traction on dry ground, sand, and rocks.

Quote:

I wish they made BFG A/T KO's for wheelers
smile.gif

there is a guy that has them on his sportsman. He lives down the road from me. Quads can be street legal here in SD and I think he rides it quite a bit on the streets.

I had to bring this back up because I went out for a little ride today to see how the snow was. It was about 38 degrees and the snow was melting. I first used my Bighorns and they worked great (no surprise). I then went back and switched out for the MST's.

100_1028.jpg

I noticed immediately when backing out the mst's lost traction much easier. I went riding around and they seemed to have to dig down for traction. Sure they would dig well, but the BH's just floated and got traction immediately forwards and backwards. In reverse the advantage was easily the BH's being they have essentially the same pattern when going forward or back. I used the BH's all winter this year and they worked well in all the snow conditions. I was thinking that the wet snow melting that the more aggressive MST's would do better, but I was wrong.

100_1029.jpg

100_1030.jpg

I have to say the MST's are still good on the trail, and in the snow. Definitely better in the mud than the Bighorns. The mst's also did steer better....meaning when I turned the bars the machine turned immediately. The Bighorns would slide a little. Some siping in the tires could possibly cure that.

I also tried out the Polaris with the stock PXT tires and they had the worst traction of all 3. Could have partly been because it was a different machine, but I had to use AWD just to get a good speed going in the drifted snow areas.

In the end, I have to say for sure now, that the Bighorns are great in the snow!

I hope this helps someone, if anyone is considering new tires for specific needs and riding conditions. ;\)\:\)

Roofer,

Thanks for the info. I've been hearing very good reviews on the Bighorns. Have been leaning that direction, just have to place the order.

I was going to talk to SomethingFishy after he puts the beat down on his BH's this weekend.

Guess I have a couple weeks before the trails open.

After I take my nephew scouting the turkey woods tomorrow we may just have to spit a little mud in the air with the tracks. grin.gifgrin.gif

Dan

Dan, you can also look at the dirt tamers, dirt commanders, and Terra Cross.

Some have said they like the dirt tamers better than the Bighorns and they are half the price. The dirt commanders are 8 ply and look like terra cross's. Just google green ball tires.

Thanks, I have been looking at the Terracross XD's. I guess they made some improvements in the rubber for better wear and to the sidewalls for durability.

I will check out the tamers and commanders.

Dan

Over the weekend I had the same observations as you with the bighorns. They liked to dart a little in the snow and ruts, could use some sips, but did real good in floatation and overall snow performance. With the sticky snow that cleaned out good and when things got deep a little side to side action and they would get decent side grip. The more I use them the more I realize how well they do in reverse. It's nice to get the same bite in reverse as you can get in forward. I'm not so sure a true mud tire would have done any better in the snow. They would dig down too much I'd think when your best bet is to stay on top as much as possible.

On the greenball site it shows a few dealers local, but it would be probably cheaper to have them shipped from atv outfitters or rockymountain.

I'm surprised that DK didn't have them.

For the Griz?

Just what I have read, and they say they wear better than most. Not much info there, I know........I haven't seen either of them in person, but I wouldn't hesitate to try them, especially for the price.

They are a bias ply tire compared to radial like the bighorn or Terra cross.

I read also that the Commanders are 8 ply! wow. But I also read that they are really new and no one has the commanders yet.

If anyone has them or gets the Tamers or Commanders, I would like to hear how they are.

I didn't know those Duro's looked so similar. They are different though. The Duro's are radial and made by Carlisle. The dirt Tamers are bias ply and are made by GBC.

i am planing on getting 25" bighorns for my rhino since they are really 26" but i am not sure if i want to get 8's in front or 10's all around...? Also thinking of putting them on Black SS108s and then XTR's or MST on stock wheels....