• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Food Ideas while fishing

barbaque meatballs,drummies etc from the deli
ask for tin foil trays not paper for microwaves,grilled deer and crappies last sat on the lake,have made steaks,ribs etc
my favorite without the grill,cheese,crackers,sauage and smoked fish
cut it up at home in baggies,easy to carry
takes up little room......

Jerky, chips, a sandwich. Tonight I'm going to throw some roast venison into a sandwich, hopefully the action will be so good that I won't ahve time to eat it smile.gif When I get my big house out (with the wood stove for heat/cooking), I'll do soup and crackers, venison sausage in the frying pan, or anything leftover that I can just warm up.

popular food for some are peanuts, anything with meat. i have cooked a few cans of soup on the sunflower heater smile.gif
pizza is the best though out ice fishin. i always crave it out there n my friends say everytime on the ice i have always said "i feel like pizza"

------------------
Good Luck Catchin Dos PigZ!

Some good thick chicken wild rice soup. Any wild game (bear brats, venison brats etc) heated up on the heater using some tin foil. Anytime you start eating when ice fishing the fish always seem to catch you with your hands and mouth filled. Funny how that works.

As soon as the ice is thick enough to drive on it is pretty easy to bring out yhe small Weber grills and cook anything from brats to chili to any wild game dish that you can imagine.

As soon as the ice is thick enough to drive on it is pretty easy to bring out yhe small Weber grills and cook anything from brats to chili to any wild game dish that you can imagine.

The most easiest thing to do is have meals prepared in the plactic sealed bags. Boil some water and heat them up. Now your menu is your imagination.

Has anyone tryied the Heater Meals. They are activated by water to create the heat.

Try grilled cheese sandwiches made ahead of time and wrapped in tin foil. They take almost no time...flip quick until you get the hang of it on the heater cooker low setting.

Ferny.

Hey gang...
When planning a day or weekend trip where you will be out for extended periods of time what is every eating out there? I have an otter lodge and a mr. heater/cooker and I am looking for quick filling somewhat healthy ideas? You know the stuff that warms you up and recharges the spirit? Any ideas?

Pig_Sticka:
You're right..you can't fillet fish while on the water (open or frozen), so, "technically" you can't clean fish in your fishhouse either (like you can't clean fish in your boat)...

Swill:
Just do like you would if you go camping, prepare meals that are easy to warm up. Either pre-make sandwiches or bring the fixins' (i.e; cold cuts, bread, condiments, etc., problem is it uses up valuable space). Personally, I forget most of the time to pre-make anything because I'm so excited to go icefishing, so I stop at a store on the way up and buy sandwiches, chips, pop, Dinty Moore stew and/or canned chili and cookies or donuts (healthy? naw! I'm icefishin!)...leave 'em in the truck (it's cold enough usually!) and just grab what I need for that days outing...

ackotz, this one is a little tricky, but yes you can clean fish on the ice.The only problem area's are when slots are in place but otherwise you can clean and eat fish on the ice.They do count for your daily limit so if you eat them during the day, they count against that days limit,if you spend the night in a sleeper now you are in the next days limit and can keep that days limit also as long as you don't excede the possession limit. AND all scraps from cleaning must be removed from the ice,I talked to a CO last year and discussed this topicand he was ok with this but some area's are a little tricky, mostly on the slots. Happy meals.<((((((><

TNT, I think it would be ok on those lakes too,as long as the head and tail are left on the carcass incase measurements need to be taken. I could be wrong on that though. I wouldn't do it on mille lacs.

Set the hook!

><}}}("< ---><!>

I like to pack everything in foil for easy warm up on my Pearson heater. I love to make scrambled egg, bacon, onion, green pepper tacos, also warmed up donuts or carmel rolls are hard to beat.

My one buddy Steve would never bring any food, and he'd never want to leave the lake,(beer and Copenhagen would sustain him for 24+ hrs)so one time we're up at LOW, and I'm starving, and I drove in to Williams, bought a can of chow mein and a fry pan and drove back and heated it up on the mr. heater. Gourmet fish fouse cuisine at it's finest.

APEL - hey guy good to see you posting again here and there.

As you may know, there is a Wisconsin thread here in FM as well as most of the ole'Shanty Gang is still posting in a "Shanty" thread provided here within FM by Rick.

How's the bite there? Ice is good? Check the Wisconsin thread also.

I'm waiting for the Manzanillo, Mx thread to start grin.gif

Have a great season will look for post in the Wisconsin thread.

BB-LDF

CyberFish,
I emailed the MN DNR last year on this and the reponse was pretty clear. If there is a slot on any fish in the lake you can not clean fish on the water/Ice. This is how I understand it unless it has changed. I will send the DNR another email and post my response.