• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Food Ideas while fishing

This topic has come up before and the same thing is said time and time. It is illegal to clean fish in your fish house! I would like someone to tell me what page of the fishing regs. says it is illegal to clean fish on the water!! It only says it's illegal to deposit fish entrails in the lake or it's shore line. So if I'm missing something here please point out the page that covers this so I can read it for myself. Don't come back with your CO told you this, because if it isn't in the regs. then it isn't against the law. Now maybe I missed it, and that's why I want someone to point it out. The only thing that I could see is cleaning fish on lakes with slot sizes, these fish must be transported undressed. But if you are wanting to eat crappie on Red it sounds like it's OK as long as you don't take more than your daily limit and you carry your entrails off with you!!

Below is the response I got from the DNR today asking if you can clean and eat fish on the ice. Sorry I did not ask where in the regs it states tghis but here is the email adress. [email protected]

You are correct if the lake has no slot limit, you can clean and eat
them, counting towards your limit, but you must keep and remove the
carcasses and entrails from the ice when you leave the ice. As far as a
lake that has a slot or size restriction, that species of fish that has
a restriction can not be cleaned and eaten on the lake, they must remain
intact, but any species that does not have any restrictions can be
cleaned and eaten. And once again, the carcasses and entrails must be
kept and removed. Hope this answers your questions. Kevin

[This message has been edited by Pherris (edited 12-27-2002).]

Hey FishinBemidji;

Personally I'm not sure of that particular rule. However though, the regulations are NOT all contained in the little booklet you get at a baitshop! That is just a little pocketbook "guideline" of the rules...

If you want to see the "real" regulations, they're contained in a book the size of a full sized Websters Collegiate Dictionary. It's just like the codes book police officers have...it's bigger than you imagine. You can see it at the DNR offices in St. Paul or possibly at some public libraries (I'm guessing on that one), or maybe by chance a DNR officer may have one in his/her car...

...and so I was talking to a buddy (at work today)who told me he and his friends were cited for having eaten (and obviously cleaned) fish in their fishhouse and because they had their limits in buckets were also fined for being over the limit...he laughs about it now...

You can't beat fresh fried fish in a shanty. You need 4 or 5 people to make it work right. 2 to catch the fish, 1 to fillet them, 1 to rinse and bread the fillets, and 1 to fry the fish. Done this many times and it works great because everyone is involved in the process. The fish is not out of the water more than 5 minutes before it is consumed. You just can't beat that for fresh!

Second best is hotdogs boiled in a beer can. Just take your knife and cut the top off a beer can fill with lake water and add 4 dogs. Heat for 10 minutes and serve. I've also cooked Trout in a beer can on a campfire. Works great.

------------------
Shut up and fish!