• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ha guys I was Watching Kent Krbeck Outdoors the other night and they were Ice fishing in Chequomegon bay off Lake Superior, and they were catching trout and bass and all kinds of fish, and I thought that would be fun, has enyone else ice fished there and have eny success? also Is there walleye? Just woundering Cuz Im thinking about a snowmobile trip but would also like to spend a day or two fishing it also.

Yes!! I have been there!

One suggestion... talk to Jim Hudson who guides up there. He lives and breathes Chequamegon and the Apostle Islands and can put you on fish in short order.

You could probably do it on your own but each fish species up there is unique, requires different tactics and techniques, and is found in different locations. On top of that, you are talking about varying ice conditions on Lake Superior, which are ever changing. Not saying you can't go it alone but with a limited time on the ice, having some local knowledge is really priceless.

Here's a beauty of a smallmouth I caught with Jim 2 years ago.

hanson25nk.jpg

We fished 2 days. I can't remember how many bass we caught on the first day but it wasn't many, maybe 4????? And Jim knows the fish, where they are, and how to fish for them. The 2nd day, the stars aligned and we popped nearly a dozen smallies in a short couple hour time period.

Here's a link to that trip I made a few years ago:

Smallies Anyone???

I'm hoping to make it back up this year! What a blast!

Fished it once years ago....didn't have an atv or anything and had to wait to drive out...it was a long ways out and although others were driving out, it was still spooky!

We caught a few Splake trout, a northern and some perch, thats about all...it was close to a 300 mile drive for us and it was a first and last experience.

I will second Hanson's recommendation - hire Jim Hudson. Great guy, knows the bay and the Apostles like nobody else. He lives/works in Bayfield. I went out with him last year - fishing was slow, but we had a blast anyways. Nothing like being miles and miles out into the Apostle Islands jigging 200FOW for lakers!!! One thing - I would STRONGLY advise against venturing out there without a guide. You can fish the bay without a guide, but unless you know the apostles and ice conditions very well, you are taking a big risk - conditions change very quickly out there due to very strong water currents. There is a reason you see some of the more extreme locals towing boats behind their snowmobiles... I want to get back up this year and fish the bay for coho, smallmouth, etc.

I'm sure Jim will respond. He is a great source for info. I fish the bay, but catching is another story...It can be very tough on the ice, and you have to be mobile. A snowmobile or ATV is a must. There is a lot of ice to cover. I do a lot better on the open water than I do on the hard water. Ice and fishing conditions change regularly, so the best advice I can give is to keep collecting info right up to your trip. It's a great fishery, you have a chance to catch just about anything, with trophy potential.

I am looking into going there in January and will hopefully be able to hire Jim for a day but we will be there a few days so I wonder if my Lakemaster Pro WI chip will have any info for Lake Superior, anybody know? Thanks for the safety caution, it will help to rationalize the expense of a guide.

WOW im getting excited! Sounds like something I will defenetly do this winter, and will probobly hire Jim cuz I want to catch fish and be safe too, cuz it sounds like it can be spooky out there. When can a person usually get out there on a snowmobile? And can I catch walleye? BRING ON THE ICE!!!!! SRK

Last year, right after Christmas, there was some ice off the Ashland shoreline extending a few hundred yards out. I was on 8" of ice listening to the waves crash onto the ice edge a hundred yards away. Some people had machines out then. The Ashland side of the bay freezes faster than the Washburn side. Usually by January there is safe ice for machines on the Ashland side, but every year is different. There are walleye. Northerns, perch, salmon, bass, lake trout and brown trout are all available also.

Hey guys... Definately thinking about ice on my end already too... It cant come fast enough!!! But overall, Matt gave a good overall rundown on when ice-up has been happening the past couple of years with the unseasonable weather. Could be earlier if things get cold, but its looking to be the same this year.

Definately a treat to have this body of water in my back yard, as what was stated, you just never know what your going to catch. And that relays to ice fishing as well.. Could be fishing for bass and catch a 10lb brown, or a 5lb whitefish, or a salmon, or.. the list can go on and on and vice versa.

Ice up moves from Ashland north, which keeps us ice-heads on fresh ice for a month or a bit more as the ice creeps into the Apostles. Quite unique to have first ice and first ice and first ice all over again on the same body of water. And allows us to stay on some fresh fish throughout the winter months.

Machine travel will get going usually two weeks or so after the ice sets in, again, starting in Ashland and moving north towards Bayfield. So the bay itself, your looking early to mid January the past few years and then extending into late January and into Feb for the water to the north. But with wind,current,ice heaves, and all those good things that big water brings us, conditions can change in the blink of an eye. So, staying on top of that is key.

For LakeMaster, never have used it on the bay. Navionics covers it well though.

If anyone needs more info or are looking into a trip, feel free to e-mail me through my HSOforum. Be more then happy to talk about this further.

Glad to hear you guys caught my KHO show. Had a great time filming with Hrbie and Gis, great bunch of guys, and we caught some fish too!! Here are some photos that didn't air. Any questions or for more info feel free to shoot me an email or look Outdoor Allure up on the web, Jim H and I work together a bit too so he has my contact info as well. Thanks, Craig, Outdoor Allure.

P3130004.jpg

P3130008.jpg

P3130002.jpg

Fisher Johnson, you forgot the smelt. Caught me a bunch. Jim put me on them and had a great fish fry when I got back home. I haven't had smelt since I was about 8 so it was a real treat. Not many in Lake Michigan anymore. frown.gif

Oh ya the Ashland/Bayfield areas can be a blast through the ice. It can also be very hit and miss. A good guide is priceless down there.

Jim knows his stuff down there and I have been lucky enough to fish with him on ice and open water. Cant guarentee ya fish but you will surely learn some new ways of ice fishing.

If your after lakers bring HEAVY gear. Its a norm to be running jigs in the 2-5 oz. range.

Baitcast gear is perfect for this and a longer ice rod helps a lot.

Get a hold of Jim and he can give ya all the details.

Oh and dont forget to stop at Outdoor Allure for all your needs. Craig has everything you will need down there and knows his stuff. Rods that you probably dont have by your place that will be stout enough for them monster lakers down there. As well hard to find ice lures and freshest bait.

Bring on the ice!!!