• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Black wolf of the Fernberg (new image posted June 5)

Shoot, one more wolf story and then I'll shut up. I was winter camping on Burke Lake several years ago and it was cold. Thermometer was at -19 during the middle of the day. There were four of us huddled around the fire and we'd take turns going out to clean out holes and bounce the tip-ups. It was Tom's turn and as he headed out he yelled "hey, look at that!" There were four wolves running across the ice just outside of our far tip-up. One was a black wolf (the only one I've ever seen). Again, no camera nearby, although I did take some photos of their tracks later. The snow was deep and they were all using the same track holes. I've heard that they do that to save energy, and take turns leading to break trail.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, one more! Fifteen years ago or so, we had some great warm nights during a February full moon phase, and I'd take my springer spaniel and ski on the lake in the moonlight. The snow was great for skiing and I was really truckin' along when a wolf let loose with a howl along the shoreline a couple of hundred yards away. Now, my dog was normally fearless. She put many a bear up a tree, but she didn't like wolves. She had been trotting 20 or 30 feet behind me but when that wolf howled she tried to get between my feet, stepped on my skis and I did a complete cartwheel before I landed, the dog sittin' on top to me!

Ken, that's a great story. smile.gif This has become the bestest thread yet. Many more stories like these, and I'm going to pack my bags and head north. If only your winters didn't last 9 months.

Steve, thanks for the info. I may have to take a few days this year and just spend sometime for me. I could always bring my boat and stay at Timber Trails Lodge on South Farm Lake. You can still get a motel unit at the resort for about $60. And Bill is a great host. I see the Fernberg Trail is only about 4 miles from South Farm, as the crow flies.

XT, our winters don't last nine months any more! grin.gif

Ken, great story. Bet you were laying there with a dog on top of you looking to make sure Mr. Wolf wasn't on his way over. They DO like their midnight doggy treats now and then.

Great thread! shocked.gif...I think I mentioned in a post awhile back that my wife and I spotted "big" gray timber just past Skibo about a month ago on a day trip to the north shore (Tettegouche)...the wolf trotted out onto the shoulder not 75 feet to my left and stopped only because I would have almost smacked him if he continued across the highway!...the wolf also had a snowshoe hare dangling from his chompers....I tried to slow the vehicle down to a stop(I was going about 60) and roll the window down and get the camera ready all at the same time....not easy to do smirk.gif....by this time the wolf spun around,trotted to the tree line...stopped and stared for about 5 seconds,and poof...vanished into the thick stuff....would have made an amazing wolf shot! grin.gif

Steve I just now viewed your awesome shot of the wolf. Had to get in on the comments. It's just a great shot "the look" in the second shot says it all and you got it - no fear in those eyes - none whatsoever! You were ready when you got the chance and got it done.

Right place at the right time, nice shots Steve. It pays to be prepared.

I was camped on the Kawishiwi River this past weekend, we must've been somewhat close to each other, at least as the Raven flies. cool.gif

Thought I might chime in here on our sighting. About four years ago while wife and I were heading up the Echo I spotted a grey at the trail head to Hobo Lake. Wife didn't see it so I made a quick U turn and pulled in on the old Echo section that is still there. Wife and I got to watch for about 5 second till it vanished. This was a late afternoon in July.

Still hoping for a moose sighting crazy.gif one of these trips.

Finns.

Nice shots Catfish. I even like the thrid one a lot. Last year was the closet I came to a wolf and that was about 100 yards away on Burntside at the end of Feb. My buddy and I were trying to follow directions to a hot spot GO had given us when I stopped the truck to figure out where the hell we were. I get the map out on the hood and my buddy says look at that over there. I turn and out from around an island here comes a big gray. Stopped and stared at us for a minute or so and then just trotted off. It also turned out to be a two laker day for me. smile.gif

Black wolves have always been my favorites. I saw

a small gray wolf on a side street on the edge of

Ely last time I was there. My son tried to get a shot

of it. It wasn't nearly as beautiful as this one.

I'm enjoying all the wolf stories too. smile.gif

Pictures can do a lot for the viewer but these really make you think of the guy sitting there with the stones to do more than freeze in a panic. Some day I want to do some hunting style wildlife photography but I might stick to turkeys. Do you do anything for safety? Nice work and I hope you get more chances like this. No better mirror than a moment of truth.

Wow great pictures! I'm still working on my Coyote shot, but I think a Wolf would be the ultimate! I've been fascinated by Wolves since I was a little kid looking at Brandenburg pictures in the paper and National Geographic.

I'm going to need to take a trip to the Wolf Center there soon I think, nice shots! I'm very jealous..!