• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

names

R. Miller

I now have "Gus" the Dog.

In the past I've had: Bella, Molly, Woody, Bell, and Flair.

If I ever get a female black lab I'll name it Pearl. I like the names Earl and Ed or Eddy (female), too, as well as the traditional names Duke, Beau, Zeus, etc. I think male dogs are easier to name.

I have a buddy who comes from a big family and he always names his dogs after a brother, sister or relative. I find that just humorous.

I prefer the more non-traditional names. I personalize each dogs registered name and pull something out of that name for there call name.

Labs I've had:

Corks

Aggie

Suzie

Scooter

Breeze

Mako

Mess

Chug

Hobo

Nora

Cash

Had a shorthair 'Baron'

and a Cocker 'Chaser'

Their pedigree names that co-incide with the call names will many times bring a chuckle...

Good Luck!

Ken

There is a short story by Bob Cary, I think in "The Portages Grow Longer," where much to his dismay Bob's wife buys a non-hunting type dog. He contemplates trying to train it, and whether it has any natural instinct left. A friend witnesses a strange act by the dog (with a butterfly?). The friend proclaims, "That dog is nuts, it'll never hunt."

Bob names the dog "Nuts of Neverhunt."

Funny name would be Permission. That way when you see a sign that says No Hunting witout Permission you're covered.

Just kidding. Our 4 dogs are named Titus, Grace, Brownie, and Gabby! I had a long lived Shepard once named Kama. It means wished for.

Fun question! My current dog is named Scout, from my favorite book "To Kill a Mockingbird". We are thinking about adding to the family this spring and we have already begun the name search. We could go with Jem, Scouts brother in the book, or Boo as in Boo Radley. Atticus may be too long. Any suggestions - will most likely be a black lab. Names of past dogs:

Trapper

Bo (as in Bocephus)

Sampson (Sam)

Samtu (Sam2)

I almost named my dog Sampson. I wanted to name my dog Beavis, but my wife wouldn't let me. I've always thought Ragnar would be a good name for a hunting dog. Or if you want to go deep into Norse mythology, Fenris would also be a good name...