• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to buy?

ASMOLEY

Im on the market for an ATV and have no idea where to begin. I've only had a old 125cc honda 3 wheeler. I hold a lot of brand loyalty with Honda and it seems im not alone reading some previous post. I will mainly use it for utility purposes hunting/ice fishing and some trail riding. I looked into a few different models and heard lots of opnions of how big of a wheeler i need or il be dissapoined if get anything less than a 500. Any thoughts or feedback will help me out.

That all depends on your taste. If you want to stay with Honda, and no smaller than a 500, than the foreman would be a good choice. I just saw that Honda has a power steering option for them now. Great option if you want to put oversized tires on it. The one downfall with that machine, IMO, is the solid rear axle. If you plan on using it primarily for utility, that won't be a big deal. You will notice the ride quality suffer on trail rides though. If you want the IRS, than the Rincon would be the option. Very nice machine, with no belt, and a true auto tranny. It also has the big 700cc engine. The one downfall on this machine is the lack of 4 low. It can come in handy for utility work. Hope this helps. One more thing, Honda is very proud of thier line, and the prices really reflect that.

Have owned ATVs since 1986 and now with my wife's last purchase a 2007 400 Honda Rancher AT we have four. Just can't beat or say enough good things about our Honda's. They start, run, and have no break downs. Just change oil and they have all run good for us over the last twenty years.

A foreman 500 would be a great work machine. I haven't priced them, but I think you could get a Sportsman 500 used or a hold-over for the same price if not cheaper. The Polaris will do everything the foreman will do and more.

I personally think that the Polaris reliability thing is a little over blown. Yes, they do need their fair share of TLC, but around here the majority of riders that I see on a Polaris tend to ride them a little harder than those on other machines, possibly because they're built here in good 'ole Minnesota. Any machine will break if not maintained.

I agree with the Polaris 500 deal. You can find a good carry over model for close to the $5K mark and for the most recent machines, you get EFI with that also.

I just bought a 650 CAT a couple of weeks ago, what a monster. But than I was used to riding a 400 Kawasaki. Liked the fact that they have 12" of ground clearance, a 2" reciever hitch, and a 6 gallon tank. took it trail riding, had a hard time finding something it would not go over. as far as power, had a 4x8 trailer with the wife and kids in it. pull it without any problems. ride was comfortable. waiting to see how it handles the snow this winter on the ice.

O

Quote:

The polaris is more likely to spend more time in the shop also.

All machines have there problems, typically rider induced. Find a dealer that will let you test drive what your looking at or see if you can get together with anybody and take a ride on theirs. Buy what U like. There are a few lurkers on this site that will bash Polaris every chance they get, it gets old reading the same hogwash daily.

I personally own 2 Sportsman 500's (over 2000 miles combined with zero mechanical problems), they have been good machines however I would change certain things if I could, but then again I would change certain things on every machine made.

Good luck finding the ATV that YOU like and that fits YOUR needs because that is all that matters in the end.

Hard to beat a Yamaha for dependability and performance. That's why I picked up a Grizzly last winter. cool.gif

It is my first ATV (well I had a little Suzuki when I was young) and the only brands that I considered was the Yamaha and Suzuki Vinson. I had read and heard enough about the other brands to not even let them get into the mix. I don't think you can go wrong with the Suzi either.

I have a cat 650 Vtwin, good machine, not great. Wouldn't buy another, I'd go Honda or Yamaha. The Yammies are tough. Polaris does have a smooth ride. But I've never been impressed with their durability.

There are a LOT of good deals out there right now. Don't look in the ads so much but call the dealerships. I know of at least Polaris, Honda and Can-am that have '06's to be moved at incredible prices.

ASMOLEY,

You are overthinking the situation. You have an old Honda 125 that will just keep going and going. Just like the next Honda you buy. Everyone will tell you their products are the best. But the proof is in the pudding and you currently are eatting it with that 125. Most of the very first Polaris 4 Wheelers are dead and gone and you're still riding a Honda 3 wheeler. I have a Honda 500 Foreman and I know I could get by with less power. The solid axel is a must for me pulling the fish house and trailers around. I have a 2002 and have had zero problems. So Hondas are a little more up-front. YOu gain that money back from the parts you don't have to buy and the resale is better if you ever decide to sell. 20 years from now it may only be worth a couple $100, but it will still be running. Just like my 90cc Honda 3 wheeler.

I agree with the Yamaha statement. I bought my Grizzly in December of 2005; it was the first ATV I have owned and I could not be happier. The independent suspension is a dream even with a passenger. As far as power well look at the specs of the 660cc engine and it is a no brain'r. I plow snow uphill on cement driveways with it and have also pulled out cars buried in snow drifts. I take care of it with regular cleanings and oil changes and have had zero issues. I researched long and hard before making my purchase and I too was deciding between the Suzuki and Yamaha but further research proved that the Grizzly was the obvious choice. I do not plan on replacing this ATV so it is a decision I made for the long haul...or ride. Good luck!

I have never seen power be an issue with most any 4 Wheeler. You will lose traction before you ever run out of power. I could hook my Honda 500 up to a light pole and be on dry pavement. All that would happen is the tires would be smoking.

C'mon post your comments four eyes. lol I know what you're thinkin' wink.gif

Honda's are great work machines, but it's hard to break any parts when they only go to 3000 rpm's.

If you think there isn't a need for more power then you ride different than I do and almost any machine will do.

Most of the new machines are really close as far as dependability, but you can't take a fast running engine like a Kawi or Rotax and putt putt around with it either. You have to buy a machine for what you are planning to use it for. If I used my atv for strictly a work horse I wouldn't have a Brute Force, that's for sure. I would do like I said...Find a good used Foreman or a Sp 500.

Quote:

Honda's are great work machines, but it's hard to break any parts when they only go to 3000 rpm's.

I agree Roofer. It's amazing how fast that Rincon goes at only 3K RPM wink.gifgrin.gif You know what I'm talking about.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree Roofer. It's amazing how fast that Rincon goes at only 3K RPM wink.gifgrin.gif You know what I'm talking about.

Hey now! smile.gif

I let you get a head start on those woops in that straight away. The only reason I couldn't catch you was because of the great ride of the Rincon and you are a better rider than me. (By just a tad) blush.gifshocked.gifcool.gif

Oh and 27" mud tires compared to 25" AT tires in the sand.

I have to admit the Yellow Birch Trail was an absolute riot on the Rincon. For a Honda Ute, it hauls balls pretty well.

On that whooped out Continental Divide trail, a steering stabilizer would have been nice as well as a set of Elka's on all 4 corners.

A Rincon will outrun a Brute Force on technical terrain anyday, but on a straight run the Brute will be throwing dirt on the Rincon.I agree with the 27" tires, big tires and technical trails are not to be mixed with to much speed.

Quote:

A Rincon will outrun a Brute Force on technical terrain anyday, but on a straight run the Brute will be throwing dirt on the Rincon.I agree with the 27" tires, big tires and technical trails are not to be mixed with to much speed.

A good rider will change that.(maybe some Elka's too smile.gif) I am working on it.... cool.gif

jltimm,

Roofer and I are just exchanging a couple jabs after our Nemadji ride on the 18th. We're well aware of the capabilities of both machines. Even with his 27" tires, he could still pull away on the straights. But when it comes to overall experience, I've got a couple years on Roofer (he's still a young gun grin.gifgrin.gif).

I'm going to look at Rubicon tonight it's an '02 for 3K. Sounds like a good deal depending on the condition. Hopefully i'll be riding in no time grin.gif Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!!!!!