• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Almost jumped through the roof!

Bigsmitty

While jigging for walleyes in my wheel house last night. I noticed a ton of huge bubbles come up from my hole. Then my transducer started shaking and much to my suprise a muskrat came swimming up the hole and jumped out onto the floor! I almost crapped my pants! He looked at me and then he turned around and dove back down. It was funny but I think I have a little more gray hair today. Anyone else ever have this happen?

I fish on a small lake east of Fergus Falls and have that happen quite often, normally I hit them in the head with the toe of my boot and they get the idea to stay away.

The funniest thing I have every had was fishing with my Lab one year, and I normally angle threw a bigger spearing type hole for pike, the dog seen something, dove in the hole and swam over to my neighbors house a few feet away and came up his spearing hole. Needless to say I think my neighbor did have to go change his shorts. grin.gif

Was fishing one afternoon and saw something go by a hole, thinking it was a northern I stood up an looked. As I was looking down the hole here comes a muskrat up a hole. Started putting my boot down the hole, after hitting my boot he turned around and left. Never actually made it into the house. grin.gif

Spearing with my father in law in Duluth one kept annoying us. It would just come up for air then splash us with its tail. I went up a couple of weekends later and he showed me the muskrat with the spear holes in its body. He claimed it was scaring the fish.

I have a friend that puts his house out on Lake Wabasso, and the muskrat is a frequent visitor. Couple of years ago, they started dragging weeds up through the holes and packing the weeds up under the house. All that movement through the holes kept the holes open with their frequent traffic. By the end of February, we had to drag the fish house about 10 feet before cranking it up to remove it. The muskrat had opened up a 6 foot diameter hole under the house by keeping the water moving in the holes.

We didn't really want a spearing house, but we sure got one that year.

We've now started putting plywood down over the holes (right on the ice), and that seems to do the trick.

Tool

That happened to me once when I was young. My dad and I were on Pelican near Orr and out of nowhere this beast rises from the depths and starts doing laps around the permanent. So in all the hubub the stove gets kicked over, now the place is full of smoke and a tasmanian devil still on the loose.

Finally he went back down the hole.

I have seen two different fishhouses that have been invaded by muskrats. A friend of mine had one pile up weeds and mud in his.

My brother had one chew through the wooden floor in his fish house and basically build a hut in it. What a stinky mess.

Well I've had a rat or two come up my holes but the best was an otter and that boog thought he was going to chisel me and move me out of there but instead he got the chisel over the head and I collected 129 bucks for him at the next fur sale . Muskrats get the same treatment if they want to use a shanty I'm in as a pullout or dumping spot and I don't mind one bit if they want to get skinned ,stretched and boarded . grin.gif

TD