• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Draft time...Who do vikings start considering?

Born2Fish

At #7 you should be taking the best player available regardless of need. When we pick Williamson we drafted for need instead of best player available and we missed out on Sean Merriman. If Adrian Peterson is available I would take a hard look at him becuase he loooks like he will be a stud for years to come.

If Calvin Johnson is there at #7 we have to take him. He will be a star. It will also help get that Troy Williamson fiasco behind us.

If Johnson is gone, and I think he will be, then we need to look at Leon Hall from Michigan to help out the pass defense which was one of the worst in the league.

We could also look at a linebacker because Greenway will never be anything more than a average linebacker. I know he's injured but even before his injury you could see he was to slow and runs with heavy legs. No instincts, no speed, no quickness or ability to adjust on the move means no playing time in the NFL. Other than on special teams.

The Vikings went overboard with the Greenway pick. Same goes for Williamson.

They need to get it together this year because last years draft was a joke!

Quote:

We could also look at a linebacker because Greenway will never be anything more than a average linebacker. I know he's injured but even before his injury you could see he was to slow and runs with heavy legs. No instincts, no speed, no quickness or ability to adjust on the move means no playing time in the NFL. Other than on special teams.

You were able to judge all of that based off a few preseason games where he played only a few minutes a game?

I think we still can afford to give him atleast one year to prove himself. We aren't weak at LB anyways even without Greenway.

WR, OL, DB....we could use a few! I thought our receiving core just stunk this past season, and wouldn't mind seeing some new receivers come on board, whether they be free agents or through the draft or both. Our O-line stunk too, and again I don't care where we get them, but get someone worth while. My third option would be a corner.

Quote:

At #7 you should be taking the best player available regardless of need.

I think that's totally the wrong philosophy personally. Say for instance you are the Colts and the best player is a QB do you waste that pick? No. Take the best player at a position you need, fix what's broken, we've got plenty of weaknesses and we need to address those, not waste picks on areas where we are OK. I say we need help at the following positions for sure: WR, CB, FS, SS and QB with a pass coverage LB not that far behind... I'm marginally happy with our running back and I think our TE's are good. Our D-line and linebacking corps obviously excelled at run defense although I think we need more help from these folks in the passing game. Our O-line I really am not happy with, but honestly we've got so much money tied up there already I don't know that we can do more and they did seem to improve toward the latter part of the season...

We REALLY need someone that can put pressure on the QB. If we could have gotten any pressure at all on the QB our secondary wouldn't have been that bad.

When the opposing team is passing 75-80% of the time and you don't get any pressure it is going to make your secondary look bad every time. It is so hard to hold in that sort of situation, a lock down corner can only be expected to maintain solid coverage for a few seconds and longer then that and it gets nearly impossible. Thats why pressure on the QB is so vital to a defense.

I would be looking for a pass rusher, either through the draft or free agent. I would be looking for an impact player on offense, someone who can catch the ball, run routes and not fall down after being touched. Having said that there are so many weakness on the team that a good draft of warm bodies that can play football would be welcome. Don't even want to get into Childress getting a offense brain implant in the off season grin.gif

I dont know if either will be there, not even sure either one has declared yet. But i want too see a weapon as in Calvin Johnson or Dwayne Jarrett. Before the NFL season started my call was that we would see Tedd Ginn Jr. in purple next season. That could also work out somewhere along the line, but im liking the other two guys a bit better now.

I'm basing my comments about Greenway on watching him in college games. He never seemed to be the first linebacker in on a play and he never seemed to run anyone down. He has a hard time shedding blocks and making plays. For the record I hope I'm wrong about him.

As for D. Jarrett at number 7 I think it's a reach. We could wait until round 2 and probably get Meacham or Rice. Meacham is going to be a very good reciever barring injuries.

Childress is on the record as saying he doesn't like to pick recievers or QB's in the first round. However I don't think he would pass up Johnson.

I can't wait until Aprils draft. I've already been pouring over mock drafts. I've got a draft addiction!

The Vikes two most glaring needs are for a #1 receiver and a big time pass rusher. If we can fix these two needs it will help the entire team come together. I wouldn't be suprised to see all new receivers on the roster next year. I don't think anyone of them even has the talent to be an average #3 for anyone. Also, how about Kenechi Udeze and his eyepopping sack total of 0. This from a guy who was drafted in the 1st round and made a prediction for himself to be in the pro-bowl this year. What a joke. Another 1st round bust. Almost as bad as Williamson just not as visable.

I think we should trade all of the Vikings and just hire the Florida Gators to be our new team. Coach too. I would make a bet the college team I watched last night would have kicked the Vikings butts.

I think we need to get a WR or LB with the first pick. We all know the WR on our team are not #1's. Taylor is a good #2/possession WR. I have no clue on Williamson tons of potential but no hands whatsoever. I like our CB's besides Smoot, I think Cedric Griffin will be a stud with another year of playing and practice. Another spot we could use is a Safety. Sharper is good but we could definetly improve on Smith's end. A good pass-rushing DE would be good too but I would like to see what E. James does next year if he is healthy. It will be interesting to see what they add in free agency with being well under the cap again.

I'ld rather see them pick up a proven WR in free agency then try and get one in the draft. WR never seem to pan out very good there 1st year anyway and some of the rookies that do get picked in ther later rounds. Besides Moss of course!

Like someone said early go with Calvin Johnson or Jarret at pick 7. Matt Spaeth Te from the gophers might be what they need in later rounds. Dont forget we signed Tank Williams last year at safety and will be back this year. I would draft 2 Wr's, 2 Cb's, 2 DL's and 1 Tight end.