• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lakes west of Fargo

So how many guys head west instead of east from Fargo? I have been seriously considering exploring the waters in NDak this winter but don't know of many within an hour or so drive. I have heard of Pipestem, Jamestown, Casselton,Ashtabula. Would any guys be willing to let me join them out on the ice for a day of fishing NDakota waters? Any recent reports from these areas?

When I am in the area I am on Jamestown just about everyother day if I can. I have made it out there once so far and did fair picked up 4 walleyes and a perch for a meal in about 3 hours of fishing. If you want info on Jamestown do some searching on my past posts and you will find a good fill of info. Also consider coming to our ice leaders get together out there on Sat Jan 20. It will be fun and maybe we will get some fish laugh.gif. Pipestem as well as Astuabla all seem to have there moments. Spirtwood is also a pretty decent lake with a mix of pike, walleye, and perch. If you would be interested I might be heading out the 6th of Jan on Jamestown for the weekend. That is the only open weekend I have right now in Jan. The weekends just fill up too fast. Email me if you need so help on Jamestown or want to go fishing.

I have fished on the Casselton Res. If you just want to catch fish, regardless of size, you might want to give it a try. All that I have caught there are small crappies and sunfish. It is on the Northwest edge of town and pretty easy to find. I have also fished the Pipestem and it was slow when I was out there but like Iff said, I have heard it can be good. I haven't heard many good reports out there for a couple of years. I am planning on trying the Res side this year. If you head out that way be sure to let us know how you do.

Two years ago we really got into the crappies on pipestem. That was a blast. I to would like to do some fishing west of Fargo. Every year I hear about lakes that I've never heard of before spitting out limits of fish. How much is true I don't know, but I willing to give it try.

I fished Jamestown last Friday and yesterday. Last Friday we did well- caught 42 fish from 7:30 to 2:00- best fishing was from 1:00 to 2:00, but we had to leave to get home. Struggled a bit yesterday- caught 20 fish, but they were all very small.

Scoot you leave those fish in my lake man grin.gif. Man that is awesome. I will tell you that lake acts different every year. Some years the bite is during the day some years it is an evening bite one just never knows for sure. Glad you did well. You keep those spots in mind for the get together. We might have to move the start time up if you are catching that early. I have to get out there one of these next weeks. Darn work out on the road not home to fish smile.gif.

I tried Casselton last week and all I caught was tiny sunfish and perch and I mean tiny. So I hear the bigger ones are further West? I have fished Jamestown Res. only once last ice season and caught one 12 inch Perch. Water was murky too.

In a couple weeks I got a college buddy that wants to try Devils Lake. I have never ice fished that lake so that should be interesting. shocked.gif

I would say go south. I have been studying the Game and Fish's stocking reports as well as some tips from locals. I am going to head to Richlad County this weekend and hunt for some walleyes and crappies. there are also some nice lakes in Seargent COunty with large walleye poplulations. One is Stock POnd open to fishing. I wont say which but through the proccess of elimination you will find it pretty easy. THis particular lake is 65 miles sw of Fargo. GOod Luck.

Paul