• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone still bowhunting?

Swill

So I went to the ice show last Saturday and got all pumped up for icefishing. But I still have not arrowed a deer! Is anybody still bowhunting? I would think 30 minutes to 1 hour would be the max a guy can just sit in his stand!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one more weekend of muzzy hunting and then the bow will be back out until the very last day. I can wait for ice fishing. Last weekend it was very tough to stay in the tree for more than 2 hours with day time highs barely creeping out of the singal digits, but it should be a little warmer this weekend. The good thing about the cold is the deer have to feed more often and therefor your chances of seeing them and intercepting them is better.

I sat Sunday morning with the muzzleloader until the frost on my eyebrows and eyelashes from condensation out of my breath was so thick I couldn't really stand it anymore. Now that's when you know its cold. Zero when I went out to sit -1 when I got back. I may sit one more time with the bow when muzzleloader season is over if I haven't connected yet, but it would have to warm up a bit first... Awful hard to pull a bow when you are frozen stiff.

I plan on making it out a couple more times. This weekend is a possibility, its supposed to warm up a bit. I also like to give the deer a few weeks after gun season is over, let them settle down a bit. A little snow would also be nice to tell where they're moving at. Last night I was looking at a recipe for prime rib and was wondering how it would work to cook a whole backstrap from a deer. Mmmmmm. Incentive I think thats called.

In the meantime, I plan on hitting a few more first ice pheasants and do a little first ice ice fishing.

lawdog, you talk about how cold it was last weekend, I kind of think thats why the DNR and most hunters are resisting efforts to move the deer season back a couple of weeks, out of the rut. The hardcore hunters would be out in the cold but I think you'd have a lot of people saying to heck with it, and the DNR wouldn't get the deer kill that they want.

I bow hunted for 10 days in Wisconsin just before the firearm season opened this year and harvested 2 nice deer. So it's somewhat of a bittersweet season. I've put the bow away until next year, but there is still time to get in some grouse hunting. Plus hardwater season is knocking at the door in the metro area. smile.gif

I'll probably give er a try Saturday morning with the warmer temps. I haven't seen anything myself or on my trail cams (very few pics) the past week. I do think the deer move minimally during the very cold weather. Looking forward to getting some snow and warmer temps (30s) in December hopefully as they started moving a lot in the later afternoons in those conditions last year.

The other thing, I do pretty well in the cold weather by putting on my insulated camo overalls and parka I use for goose hunting, camo neck gator (spel), hat, gloves, and boot blankets, and hunker down in a ground blind.

This keeps me out of the wind and allows me to move and stand a bit more to stay warm. I can stand up all the way in my ground blind and shift around.

Pretty much the only part of me that is exposed are my nose and eyes. I can slip my gloves off quickly for a shot and my bow hangs ready with an arrow nocked in front of me from the bow hanger in my blind.

I also stock up on those toe and hand heat packs. I hear it's a good idea to buy some larger ones and put over your kidney area. Not sure why? Anyone know?

The cold is really not that bad, but you do have to have thge clothing for it. You also have to be conscious about being able to move and draw with so much clothing on. I picked up my first 4-in-1 camo parka yesterday. My buddy has the same one and he loves it. He was able to hunt 3-4 hrs a sit this past weekend. He shot a monster 10pt'r.

I on the other hand have not shot anything this year and time is running out. I'm gonna try some local places during the evening this week and I have a special metro hunt this weekend.

I love late season bow hunting and have had good success in the past during it - never any nice bucks but always fun and veni in the freezer. Gotta do a little scouting cuz it can be feast or famine, they start to congregate around the best food sources and feed/move plenty. I try to get in quiet and sit for only the last hour and half or so, I havent' seen much early afternoon activity and I usually only can hunt evenings. Got a ground blind up on Sat near a picked corn field, will see what happens. Good luck, later.

From what I've seen (or more accurately haven't seen) and from what others are seeing too, almost all the activity right now seems to be evening/night action and nothing in the mornings...

Can others confirm this?

last weekend while muzzy hunting we had the exact opposite which is strange. we saw all our deer morning to late morning and nothing in the evening. usually though our best luck late in the year has been evening, but our food plots this year are terrible due to the lack of rain. I think near a food source the activity would be evening. All the deer we saw last weekend were moving and browsing, not heading to food sources.

The moon was full yesterday which could have made a difference with deer movement. We all know they prefer to feed under darkness if they can and when a bright winter full moon is out I rarely see a deer in the morning hours. They usually get going again during midday and then right at sunset.

Until it gets real cold, I would expect mostly nocturnal movement, but if the temps really drop, then you may see them feed earlier before sundown. Unless you are lucky enough to be hunting in a low pressured area that is.

I hope to get out a few times yet, but with ice fishing here we'll see....

I passed up some dandies earlier and had monsters in sight just never a clear shot or too far. I've filled four of my five tags and need a buck. Last weekend I was able to sit three hours at a time then would take an hour to warm up/eat then back at it. I had deer within sight ALL day on sunday and most of the day saturday. They got out of their beds around 8:30 am and browsed all day with more deer moving through the woods as the day progressed. Still feeding at night but lots of movement and browsing during the day. Bucks still chasing does and looked like a few fawns were 'hot'. I have done my homework and have a great spot with lots of deer around but this time of year you need a spot like this. The deer are grouping up into larger wintering groups which translates into less frequent sightings but more deer when you find em. It's cold but you can't kill em from the couch. Bundle up and good luck!

We usually wait til the last week of season over christmas break and then we hit it hard every day. We usually pull a lot of drives and have had a lot of success the last couple of years we've been doing it. We usually arrow a few does and last year i got a real nice 8pter with two days left in season. There's usually about 8 of us and it is a fun time.

It is legal, we've done it for years. We have shot a few deer doing it. Can be very frustrating, because you should get them close. I shot a 9-10-11 pointer (Sticker points, maybe an inch, maybe not) quite a few years ago at a distance of about 18 inches. The drivers pushed him and a doe off a line fence that I was on the end of - Tucked an arrow behind his shoulder on his way by. He made it about 100 yards and piled up.

You really need to know how to set-up these drives, because getting them within 25+ yards is too far. Most of the deer we have shot have been inside of 15 yards.

Yes I still bow hunt, I have a camera out right now to see were they are going and comming.

Its hard to set in the stand when its so cold but I use lots of layers and hand wormers.

This old lady hates the cold..LOL

But Im going out this week-end in the morning and afternoon maybe Ill get lucky.

How are you doing this year?

Im hunting in summi area.