• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadhead question...

Rip_Some_Lip

I feel it's an absolute must to put in new blades!!! We owe it to the game we hunt to make sure our broadheads are razor sharp to ensure a quick clean kill. Not to mention, dull blades could cost you an animal. I've never tried it, but you can re-sharpen your used blades. Just make sure they're not bent as usually happens from hitting bone or rocks on or in the ground.

Brian

ok ! so call me cheap! grin.gif i sharpen mine. first make certain there are no nicks , or they aren't bent. i use one of those little hand sharpeners. a few strokes and they are sticky sharp.buy a new one every year as they can develope a groove for the very thin blades. i put the old one in the drawer with my pairing knives to sharpen them.

I killed three deer with the same broadhead this year before I felt it was time to change. It stayed razor sharp and went between ribs on first two. On the third it hit bone and a tree after blowing through. I do the rubber band box test and pull a piece of hide over my broadheads to inspect their cutting ability. More power to those who use new blades for every deer. I inspect mine carefully and haven't had a problem after dozens of deer with that method.

I have never reused a broadhead after it has been shot once. I see many of you have had success in doing so but I figure with so many critical elements of archery hunting, why add another with a broadhead that might be slightly tweaked or off balance. I have also had good luck with Muzzy broadheads and with Walmart now carrying them you can usually get them for 1/2 price at seasons end so just a few bucks is pretty cheap insurance.

Once a head has hit an object (deer, ground, bale, etc) it goes into my practice BH collection. I only hunt with new heads. I think reusing is ok as long as you can still shave hair off your arm with it. I just choose not to. I like having a bunch of practice heads.