• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pup growls while eating

LovenLifeGuy

I have been trying to get my dog to quit growling while he eats. I cant seem to get my dog to quit. He wont bite but whenever I go to pet him or put my hand in the dish he growls. Any help on how to get him to quit would be great. He is 13 weeks old! Thanks

LovenLifeGuy

Sorry to have to say this but your dog has food aggression traits. When he gets older he might bite you or someone else. A lot of dogs are put to sleep because of this trait. I use to have a dog that had food aggression also. I trained him to stop it, but it never really went away. I just knew that whenever it's time for his food, only I could be around him. Don't let little kids around him, because he might mistaken them for wanting to take his food. Search the net about pets with food aggression, there are many good sites that will help you. I didn't put my other dog that had food agression down, I just learn to do things differently. My dog was like yours, growled when eating. But when no food was involved he was the best dog, loved kids, loved humans, and great personality. I hope this helped you somewhat.

Point blank dude--you're dog when it's eating feels like it is the dominant creature. I had one that did this once. You have to force your hand when this happens. I know it sounds cruel, but you need to kick the everlovin' **** out of him and when he is recoiling from your violence, you take his food away and you don't give it back until the next day. If he growls again, you repeat. after three days, I promise you that dog will have learned it's place. Or you can be soft and let it continue to happen, but this is not a problem you want to let continue.

Man, don't beat the tar out of the dog!!!

I agree that it is showing it's domanance, but beating any animal will not get it to submit.

In the canine family you show your domance by firmly tumbling the dog over on it's back and grab a firm grip (but not to the point of choking the dog)around it's throat.

Make sure to get eye contact and scold the dog in a firm and comanding tone.

Also at feeding time, you hand feed the dog piece by piece for a few times.

This will also show the dog that you are the one feeding him/her not the dog getting it's own food.

Have your wife,kids,or any one do this as well with the dog so it get's that any one can be the domanant food provider.

Food aggression can be hard to break but not imposible,and I doubt a breeder will refund or trade a pup because of it.

A reputable one should help you break the behavior though.

Good luck,Benny

Had our current oldest dog pull this stunt at probably about that same age. Used a combination of Tom and Benny's methods. First time it happened, I let it go. Next day ( we feed only once per day ), food dish set in kennel with leather glove protected hand. First growl met with moderate head slap driving dogs head into chainlink where it is pinned by scruff of neck. With a solid NO, the dog is released and the food is taken away. Half hour later, I set the food down and got no aggression from the dog. The next day, the whole process repeated itself. By day 3 the aggression was gone and has not resurfaced in 9 years. I had a pretty mild case and this dog washed out of doggy games due to shutdown in pressure situations so would lean more towards Benny's method if you think you have a severe case or a strong willed pup. Good luck.

Well, I got a whole lot of different suggestions from all of you. Im not sure what one is the way to go. The dog is very good except when he is eating. Before I posted I thought kicking his arse would be the ticket, but im not sure at 13 weeks if thats the road to go. If he did bite me I think that would be the way to but he has not done that. I think the breeder will get a call, he is a good guy! Thanks for the help and I would love to get some more advise. Thanks

LovenLifeGuy

LLG,

At 13 weeks, this pup is still figuring out his place in the pecking order. Here's what I would do:

1) place food down for him - let him get started

2) reach for the bowl, prompting the growl

3) INSTEAD OF KICKING HIM ACROSS THE ROOM...the second he growls, grab him by the neck/throat, roll him on his back, and pin him to the ground. I would also encourage you to "get on top of him" to show your dominance and that his behavior will NOT be tolerated. I actually stick my face under his chin/on top of his throat and growl back at the dog until they lay completely still. That's how the "pack" shows dominance and it's something they understand naturally. Is this a bit overboard? Some may say so, but I don't think so...and it has been very effective for me.

4) take the food away from him til the next day

5) repeat if neccessary until the growling stops

I've done this with every pup I've had with my kids being involved in the process too. Each of my kids can easily take my 80lb drahthaar's food dish away without so much as a look from him...maybe he's expecting gravy or table scraps. laugh.gif

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Blaze

Did you edit this post, because I don't remember reading that it was 13 weeks old--I too agree that my advice was for an older dog. With a puppy this shouldn't be that hard to break, but you do have to show him who's boss.

My dog never had this problem, but I did pick up some information somewhere on how to keep a dog from being protective of his/her food. It may be too late with your dog for this technique but it might work. They said that when feeding a new pup, grab it's legs, lift them, move it's tail, whatever...just get hands-on with it so that it doesn't feel bad about people (kids, wife, whoever) touching while eating. Do this at every feeding so that it becomes second nature for the dog and then it'll think nothing of it when eating. Especially good if there are kids around and want to mess with the dog when it's trying to eat.

Good Luck.

Quote:

I have been trying to get my dog to quit growling while he eats. I cant seem to get my dog to quit. He wont bite but whenever I go to pet him or put my hand in the dish he growls. Any help on how to get him to quit would be great. He is 13 weeks old! Thanks

LovenLifeGuy

My thoughts first off are why are you trying to pet the dog while he's eating or take his food dish away? My bigger dog only eats when we are not in the same room, she will actually stop eating if you enter the room.

My suggestion would be DO NOT HIT YOUR DOG, holding your dog on it back will potentially cause great fear and could result in either a more agressive animal or a paranoid animal, either way it can make a good dog useless. I think maybe a smack on the bottom and a firm no should be sufficient, as well as take the food away for a while. I would also recommend daily handling of the dog, petting, scratching, and even playing with the dogs feet as it's a pup. My dogs will both hold still while you trim there nails, the bigger of the 2 is an American Staffordshire Terrier and she will actually lift her leg and hold it up when you have the clippers out.

I got my dog thru a rescue program so I do not know her complete background, but it is obvious that here previous owner instilled great fear in her as a pup. If you raise your voice near here not even at her she will tuck her head and curl up into a ball. If you are to aggressive in trying to break him you could end up with an untrainable dog.

Best of luck to you,

Josh

We have always taught our dogs to release the food bowl when feeding. Give the dog food let him start eating and then remove the bowl. When he growls firmly say no and take the food away. Give him a few minutes and try again, firmly say no and remove the food. You can hand feed him a few a few nuggets from the bowl keeping it out of his reach. Let him know that you control his food. Give him the bowl back after a few hand feedings and repeat again on his next schedule feeding. He is 13 weeks old? are you feeding him several times a day? If he is being fed just once or twice he might be very hungry and worried about not getting enough food making him aggressive at feeding time. You should not be bothering an animal when feeding just like you he would like to be left alone but...anyone should be able to take food away with out the dog being aggressive. I have had many dogs and we used this to train them all. Almost all of my dogs will hold and stay till given the ok to eat. You have to follow through on this. At 13 weeks it is not time to get into a life long bad habit. I just sold the last of 7 pits this week and all of them have good manners at 9 weeks old.

As some have stated before, your dog has some dominance issues. Pups reacting this way right from the breeder isn't rare. The dog has had to compete for food its entire life and as far as he knows you are trying to steal it from him. We need to educate this dog into knowing that it is OK if you take his food or anything in his mouth at any time. If left unresolved I would bet this dog does bite someone sometime. First off, only feed your dog after you have eaten. If you feed it in the morning before you eat ect, let the dog see you pretend to take some of the food and "eat" it. Only the dominant animals eat first. Next we have to get the dog to understand that you control when and how much he eats. Put the food down and then take it away, if the dog growls I would suggest taking the dog and laying on it while giving it a good growl under the muzzle. After he submits, give him the food back. Repeat this a few times and I bet he figures it out. Let us know if you have any other questions.

I have a 9 month old pup that I believe is in a sort of puberty where he has been testing limits with me. He knows I am the boss, but he gives me little growls and a few times has even made the motion of biting me (not actually doing it, but almost pretending as if he were going to).

I do not beat him, though someone standing by would think I was. What I have been doing is reacting immediately to any of his actions. If I get a growl I immediately grab him by the scruff bringing him to the ground onto his back. I give him a few good scruff shakes and growl very load and aggressively (seriously as loud as I can, and as mean as I can). It is nothing that another dominant pack dog wouldn't do. I'm sure it looks and sounds silly as hell, but I have seen the changes. If he does something wrong and knows it, my body language will cause him to roll right to his back without even having to grab him.

These dogs NEED to understand that you are in charge and that is not to be questioned. I actually believe most of the dogs want to have the security of knowing someone is in charge and will take care of them. Just make sure you are consistent with whatever you do. You will see the difference soon... Especially with a young pup.

First of all, Thanks for the responses! I have been taking this information and it has been going better. He will no longer growl at me, but my wife is a different story. It looks like a process but one that needs to be done. The reason I touch my dog while he eats is that he needs to get used to that. I have my first child due in august and who knows what she might due when she is old enough. He needs to know who is boss (even when he is eating). He is a very gentle dog any other time. Lets me clip his nails and many things like that. He gets messed with enough to be plenty used these things. He is a great pup, this just needs to end. Again, thanks and you all have been a great help. My breeder is back in town today and is going to give me a call and im sure some more advise.

Thanks, LovenLifeGuy

Since this you have a child due it is even more important yo break this habit. You would never forgive yourself if the dog ever bit your infants face. Last year I was in the exact same position as yourself. It may sound corney but we carried around a cabbage patch doll (any baby doll will work) and pretended we were feeding it etc. You will see that even with the doll your dog may be jealous and try to crawl up on your lap while your holding the baby. You also need to end any "jumping up on people" type of issues right away. I worked through the steps described earler (putting her on her back and also, pretending to feed first)but she will defend the food still to a degree. When she get a pig ear or chew bone (special treat) she really gets excited and shows these behaviors. When our baby started to crawl he would run straigt for the food and water dish. He really likes to take baths and tries to put his hands in the dog water for some reason. I have a muzzle for nail clipping and have used it to check her aggression around our son and the food and water bowl. Basically I wouldn't take chances with this type of behavior. Our baby will tug at her ears and feet and our vizsla will just lay and accept it.

Blaze, I agree with your approach 100%. My Golden did the same thing when it was time for him to eat. I was told by a trainer to be the agressor and not let your dog be the boss. My dog is fed twice a day. His food is put out and he is told when to eat. By this I mean he sits by his bowl until he is given the OK to eat. It takes time but they do learn your the boss. As for table scraps if he even looks at the table now all I need to do is look at him and he will turn away. I have five kids around my home and if they were not able to go and touch his bowl there would be one less dog in this world. I have read way to many articles of dogs biting kids and I know in my household one peep of a growl and he would be getting a channel lock grip to the ear. From experience he knows that doesn't feel good and will back down. My dog was in a litter of 6 and yes they do try and get aggressive with the other pups that is their nature. When he came home he learned some hard lessons but he is the best dog around all of my kids. They are climbing on him, wrestling and playing all the time. I don't mean you have to be cruel to your dog but you do have to show him who the boss is. I have had many people comment on my dog how well he listens and how great he is with the children. It take a lot of time and a lot of patients but they do figure it out.

I treated my dog the same way as Blaze and Colonel42. FRom the day we got her at 9 weeks we took turns taking food away putting our hands in drinking water etc. The wife and my 2 boys and myself treated her the same way taking her down by the scruff of neck and growling very loudly. It only took a day or 2 for her to realize she was the bottom of the totem pole in the pack(family). A she learned obeidence we taught her to sit by the food until released to eat it. She pays no attention to any human that goes near her food she just steps back and waits for a release command. Till she was about a year old if we had someone at the house at feeding time we would have them reach in take the bowl then give it back. She never protected food again. LEt the dog know their place in the pack. They are much happier knowing their place.

Mwal

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the great advice. I know its not over yet, but it has been 3 days now that he has not had a problem and has been able to eat all of his food. He is starting to realize who is boss! Just like I did with my wife grin.gif.

Thanks LovenLifeGuy

Quote:

He is starting to realize who is boss! Just like I did with my wife
grin.gif

Yeah, right...print off this thread and leave it on the counter for her to read. When she reads your comment, we'll find out who the boss REALLY is! HAH! grin.gif

Blaze

Blaze, I did mean that she put me in my place but now that I read it again it could be taken both ways grin.gif. Besides, she is pregnant and the last thing I need to do is let her read something like that and take it the same. I dont even want to think about that blush.gif

As far as the dog. I used the grab him by the collar, tell him no with a slight growl in my voice and take the food away. It worked well!

Thanks again, LovenLifeGuy

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again]

I've raised several different breads of dogs and I have never beat them. A little smack on the nose once or twice to get they're attention is all you need. I now have a 110 pound Akita that could kill me if he really wanted to, I can and so can my 5 year old niece and any one else, take his food away from him at any time without him even thinking of doing any thing to me.

You must first realize that all dogs come for a wolfs/foxes it's they're instinct to protect they're food. When you bring a dog into the home they become part of the pack you need to be the dominate male and show him that you are buy getting on top of him like some one else said already, taking the food away but give it back. Tell him he's a good dog for letting you take the food away.

Never beat a dog it only makes them aggressive and unable to control.

NEVER BEAT ANY ANIMAL! mad.gif

You need to teach the pup you are the leader of the pack and that its your food and you are only letting him eat it. To establish dominence you need to start by only feeding him after he watches you eat. You can growl at the pup and remove the food dish, pick the pup up and hold him on his back in your arms like you would a baby. You can grab him by the scruff and hold him on his back, you can even go as far as biting his neck like a mother would. None of these things will hurt the dog but it will let him know he isnt in charge.

All dogs have different personalities. Some are sensitive and some are stubborn. Some pick up on things quick and some need alot more training. I was lucky with my Boxer. He was sensitive and quick to pick up on things so only a stern sayin of his name was all the more repromanding I ever had to do with him. We also went through 3 years of obdeiance training as well as training for agility competitions.

Whether its through repetitive training for voice commands, hand commands, or through body language its your responsibility as the leader to teach him what you want from him.

A happy dog is a well trained dog! Good Luck! grin.gif