• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Peep Question

finny

I just bought a new Switchback XT and love it, but the peep keeps ticking me off. It keeps turning so when I draw back the string will be in the way of my sight. If I keep messing with it I can get it to work for a shot or 2 then it will twist back. I am afraid that when I am in the stand this is going to happen to me. Any advice on how to fix this?

What kind of peep do you have? Is it the type where you have the rubber hose from the bow to the string? I would maybe just call or take the bow to the shop that set it up and explain and I,am sure they can have it fixed for you in minutes.

They may just need to redo the peep within the string so it will stay in place if its the one without the rubber bunge.

I also have the XT. If your peep keeps turning, just bring it back to the pro-shop and they will put a twist or two in the string and it should take care of the problem. I agree, it can be a pain in the buttt...but a easy fix.

Cliffy's right, easy to fix. 1) put in the bow press, 2) remove string on end opposite where the peep site is, 3) turn string 1/2 or 1 turn, 4) put string back on. Draw and see. If you find you're somewhere between two 1/2 twists, then redo all steps except make the adjustment in the string on the end of the string which the peep is located on.

Mess with different twist combos until you get it right. Not too tough- give it a shot and you'll get it.

One very important thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that you said you have a new bow. New strings will stretch as they break in and stretching will cause the string to rotate.

Try to shoot as much as you can right away and then take it back to your shop. Thwy will probably need to add a few twists to get everything back into spec. This means putting your peep back in alignment.

If that doesn't work then there are ways to combat the peep rotation. You can move individual strands form one side of the peep to the other untill you control the twist. But this has to be done by a very competant person while the bow is in the press.

Once your string is broken in and stopped stretching it should no longer rotate. . I recently installed new strings and dealt with the same problem.

Another option if you are interested in it.

There is a product (or was a product) called a zebra string which was designed specifically to reduce the amount of twist in the bow string as you draw back. I have one on my bow (it's now over 10 years old) and still works great.

Evidently when these are made, they group the strands into two equal groups, and twist them in opposite directions when the sting is made. Then, when set up on a bow, they don't twist at all, thus no need to getting the rubber peep alligner, or continue changing the number of twists in your string.

Steve