• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog Name

Cheif Catchemall

I am picking up a B/W female English Springer June 3rd. My wife have been brainstorming for names. We have yet to find that perfect name (where you know it's right). I was wondering what others out there have named their female dogs. Being aware that you will be yelling this name aloud in the field. grin.gif

Mine is Piper...she's a little yellow lab. I was considering naming her Remy, short for Remington, since she's (hopefully) going to be a pheasant dog and I shoot a Remington. Ultimately my daughter, who is "co-owner" of the dog with me, had the final choice.

Got kids? Let them pick the name. Of course you'd have veto power on it but I let mine pick the names for my dogs. Makes them feel important and it relieves you of responsibility for stupid names. One of mine is named Good Girl. Yes, I feel stupid when I say her name but it always makes me grin when I think of how my daughter thought it was a beautiful name when she was three.

All great names. I like dutchess alot but my wife doesn't care for it. I shoot a a Ruger RL and if i was getting a male dog i'd have the name. I don't have any kids yet, so that doesn't work for me. Thanks for the reply's. Keep them comming!

If I would have let my kids pick - I would have a Griffon named Nemo. I could hear the jokes about finding Nemo. We went with Zeus for our male.

Some names that I have heard that may work for a female:

Sage

Pheas or Fezz

Brainstorming for a dog's name can be challenging, but is actually an entertaining project. You can go on-line and do a search for pet names. Names can be procured via special events, colors, characters, history, religion, hobbies, sports, etc. With a little effort, you will find a name that is meaningful and resonates.

Some female names for consideration:

Pepper, Koal, Jessie, Abby, Emma, Rosie, Ruby, Lucy, Tawnie, Jade.

Good luck and enjoy your new pup.

I just went through that trouble about a month ago. I could think of a ton of awesome male names, but hardly any female. I did all the internet searches and what not and it came down to two names: bella(short for cabela) and Dakota. I ended up naming my little lab Dakota and call her kota for short. she picked it up really quick. have fun with all the decision making.

How about the name "Permission"? That way when you see a sign No Hunting Without Permission, you casn say I got Permission, shes right here. grin.gif

Seriously though, my old girls name was "Kama" (means wished for). One of our females now is "Gabby", short for Abigale and the other female we have is named "Brownie". Our youngest kid was 3 years old when he named her 10 years ago. What ever you decide, I am sure you will be happy with it.

My first Britt's name was Kelly. Of course two years later, I met my wife Kelli. Of course that's nothing compared to my first dog as a kid, which was named Pumpkin. Of course my wife's nickname from her father is pumpkin. When it was time to name the new Britt, I tried to go along those lines but the wife wouldn't have it...so "Jessi" it was.

My kids wanted a Star wars name for our yellow lab but I could not stomach names like Luke skywalker or Han solo or chewy (well, maybe chewy would have suited him well!) , but they settled on "Jedi" and I call him Jed. So his full name is: Guko's Jedi Master o' Mischief..."Jed"