• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Border Crossing FAQ (including DUI Q/A)

Hemlock

I am trying to fill out the application for criminal rehabilitation but I am not able to find out where to send it. I live in minnesota and will be crossing in Minnesota. Not sure if Int. Fall or baudatte. Do you know of the address I need to send that applacation to? Thanks for all your help.

Hemlock, I received a deferred judgement on a dui in 2006.

I was told by my lawyer that if I was ever asked if I had been convicted of anything I could answer "no", because legally I was never convicted.But after ready so much info. on diff. web sites I am still unsure of my status is when crossing the border.In my state the dept. of transportation is another story, they have their own rules, they consider me a dui driver and require high risk insurance for another year.So if my lic. gets swiped at the border what info will come up, d.o.t. info, or just criminal backround check.

[YouNeedAuthorization], Call one of the border stations at either Fort Frances, ON or Rainy River, ON.

Rainy River/Baudette 807-852-3341

Fort Frances/International Falls 807-274-3655

Pike: I'm not able to comment on what info comes up when they run your id at the border, as I don't have the privelege of knowing what they know. If I were a bettin' man, if you weren't convicted in a court of law, then it won't show.

"Should be fine", famous last words. I would check with customs also before leaving. They wouldn't let me cross because of a "careless ATV Citation". There are far too many great lakes//rivers in MN/WI. If they don't want our busniess, I'm fine with not going back....ever

Quote:

Pike: I'm not able to comment on what info comes up when they run your id at the border, as I don't have the privelege of knowing what they know. If I were a bettin' man, if you weren't convicted in a court of law, then it won't show.

I have the ability to find those things out in my line of work, so on that subject, one of my friends is going for the first time. He was convicted of a DUI 16 years ago and it is still on his III (Interstate Identification Index), and I can only assume that they have access to that info, although we don't have access to Canadian stuff. Hemlock, or others, I also discovered that he was "charged" with burglary 15 years ago. It was "dismissed" as it plainly states on the III. Do you think that will be an issue? Again, it says that it was dismissed, so he was never, ever convicted. Just curious. We are getting down to crunch time so we are trying to eliminate any stress.

Here's a question....Went through the rehab application process, was approved and received my letter in the fall. Doesn't matter how, but I now cannot locate this paperwork and have a trip planned for July 9. Any ideas what to do? Impossible to talk to a human at the Detroit office I applied to. Will they have access to my info and approval at the border?

Not to be negative but i'd guess your fishing trips will be in the states for a while...The one over 10 years is fine now, but the 5 year is a no go...I'm guessing with two under your belt it's gonna be awhile...The problem isn't getting back into the states...Those dwi's are felonys in Canada's eyes and they have to be 10+ years old is what I was told by customs this winter....They have been running id's for everyone in my vehicle since last year...

(Contact Us Please),that sux. Yeah i used to go every yr.and have been tennative cuz of all the horror stories I've heard. I haven't went for 3yrs now. After my last dw we tried it and got in but the following yr. I was denied because of and they weren't real clear on what could be done to re enter.

I would say it's worth a call. I've got first hand experience with someone who has a rap sheet as long as yours, if not longer, and they still let him in. Call and try and get a definite answer.

Rainy River/Baudette 807-852-3341

Fort Frances/International Falls 807-274-3655

thanks i'll do that,maybe i can pay a fee or something. A guy at work sd its like 200 bucks but theres no guarantee and that they might keep your $ and still say no....hopefully they wouldn't pull something like that.

I just returned form Canada. Mine was less that 5 years old. So I submitted all the paperwork for a temproary resisent visa. It was returned to me twice, I sent it back again and have not seen it since, so I am assuming they are processing it. I made the trip to Canada anyways, I flew into Canada through a major airport and just showed the border agent my passport answered a few simple questions, and that was it. I think having a passport has its advantages versus a D.L.

New U.S. border crossing card available soon!

It can't be used for air travel, so the regualr passport may stil be the best chocie. But if you only want to drive, it's half th e cost.

Lots of misinformation posted here on this subject, partially becasue it has been a moving target.

Here are the facts:

Jan 31, 2008 (this year!) Birth ceriticate or passport required to get back in to U.S. PLUS photo id like drivers license.

June 2009; Earliest passport or passport card will be mandatory to get back into U.S.

Birth certificates will continue to be okay for kids.

Here's story from Duluth paper that ran last week. Most media missed it...

BORDER CROSSING CARDS AVAILABLE SOON

BY JOHN MYERS NEWS TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

New, wallet-sized U.S. passport cards that will allow U.S. travelers to return from Mexico and Canada by land without a full-blown passport soon will be available from the State Department.

Applications for the cards will be accepted starting Feb. 1. They will cost $45, about half the cost of a passport.

While there has been considerable confusion over new border crossing regulations, President Bush signed legislation last month that delays the need for passports or passport cards for land travel to Mexico and Canada until at least June 2009.

At that point, either passports or passport cards probably will be required to re-enter the U.S. by land. Passports already are required for air travel.

Birth certificates and a driver's license or similar photo identification card will be required of all people entering the U.S. starting Jan. 31. Passports or passport cards can be used instead of a birth certificate at any time.

The new passport cards will not be accepted for air travel.

Children carrying a birth certificate still will be allowed to cross the border without a passport or passport card if they are traveling with their parents or in a school or civic group.

U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn., has been working to convince the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to find a cheaper, easier alternative to passports for Minnesotans traveling to and from Canada.

Border crossing agents will scan the cards and the information will appear on their computer screens.

"This secure, wallet-sized card, which will be half as expensive as a regular passport, is certainly a better option than a full-scale passport for many of our border residents," Coleman said in a statement. "Also, by making the card available starting this year, I am hopeful that we will not see a repeat of the passport problems that plagued the State Department last year."

For more information, go to the State Department's Web site at: http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/WHTI_Passport_Sheet.pdf.

Hi every one, I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

My boyfriend is coming to visit me soon, he is flying in just south of the border and then I will be picking him up and driving us back home to Canada. The reason why he flew in was because it was WAY WAY cheaper and he didn't have time to get a passport.

The issue is that he had a DUI as a Juvenile. I've read somewhere that crimes convicted as a Juvy would most likely not be denied entry to canada. Does this include DUI's???

He was 17 at the time that he got the DUI and 4 years have passed since then...

What are his chances of getting in?

Thank you!

Mellissa

Melissa,

What I have heard on this forum, time and time again, is that he needs to call the Canadian Border authorities, in advance. Showing up and trying to explain yourself at the border tends to get you denied entrance to Canada. Trying to conceal it and being found out is worst. Ask him to call and explain his stuation to the canadian authorities, before he arrives at the border. Hemlock, do you have anything to add to this?

The issue is that he is flying in the next couple of days... So i'm thinking even if he does call he might not have time to do anything?

I called Border Service number and the lady basically told me it's at the discretion of the customs officer... That really makes things uncertain! lol

Mellissa

I have a buddy that just got tagged. he now wants to enter canada this summer. I found the following info for him after talking to Canada officials and USA Officials. worth a look if you want to be sure of getting in. Sounds like a lot of work but thought I would share what took a bout 4 hours of searching and phone work. Enjoy!

Just copy and paste into your browser.

http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/detroit/right_nav/areyoucriminallyinadmissibletocanada-en.asp

Muddpuppy,

Is your buddy still planning on going to Canada this summer? From everything I've read and understand about the criminal inadmissibility rules in Canada, he would have to wait at least 5 years before he would even be eligible to apply for Deemed Rehabilitation. I guess he could always go up and hope he doesn't get checked, but that’s a risky proposition.

If you guys are traveling together, I would come up with a contingency plan in case you do get checked. I know some guys choose to risk it, get caught without a rehab permit, and then jeopardize the trip for the rest of the group. Everyone in our party understands that if they have criminal convictions and they don't get in, they'll either be calling their wife to come get them or staying at the Super 8 in I-Falls until we return from the fishing trip.

Just some food for thought...

I didnt read all the posts but heres some info. You can check into if you can be allowed into Canada before actually coming on the trip which would save the hastle of mabey not getting in. Heres some places to check into. If any of this info was posted earilier please disreguard, otherwise theres alot of places to start doing research on crossing the CDN border.

http://geo.international.gc.ca/can-am/detroit/right_nav/areyoucriminallyinadmissibletocanada-en.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/

http://www.canadawelcomesyou.net/

http://www.infonorth.net/

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/

http://www.bordercrossing.ca

Also acouple of phone numbers.

Detroit office 313-567-2085

Interational Falls/Fort Frances border

807-274-7341

Originally Posted By: computerboy
Muddpuppy,

Is your buddy still planning on going to Canada this summer? From everything I've read and understand about the criminal inadmissibility rules in Canada, he would have to wait at least 5 years before he would even be eligible to apply for Deemed Rehabilitation. I guess he could always go up and hope he doesn't get checked, but thats a risky proposition.

If you guys are traveling together, I would come up with a contingency plan in case you do get checked. I know some guys choose to risk it, get caught without a rehab permit, and then jeopardize the trip for the rest of the group. Everyone in our party understands that if they have criminal convictions and they don't get in, they'll either be calling their wife to come get them or staying at the Super 8 in I-Falls until we return from the fishing trip.

Just some food for thought...

Both the canada side and the MN side said good luck getting over better hope theye are in a good mood and or don't check. We told him to look into the bus ticket back \:\) his problem I have alot of free time and looked into it for him and thought I would share with all. There is a part in there where he can apply for a one time pass like temp residency. Thanks for your thoughts!

This may have been mentioned before, but I don't feel like looking through 15 pages of responses. smirk

I've got a buddy who might come to Canada with me. He chews tobacco. How much can he bring across, if any?? (how many cans/rolls?)