• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I know nothing please help

setterguy

With some encouragement from my friends I have decided to CONSIDER purchasing a used sled. I have 0 previous knowledge about snowmobiles, and have ridden them briefly twice in my life. It will be used mostly for fishing, with the occasional trail ride up north with the guys. I have been doing a little research, and found to be what I think is a pretty good deal, would like to hear opinions. This guy has 2 sleds. Sled one is a 95 polaris XCR 600, 3800 miles studded track, track is about 70% and has 50 miles on a rebuilt engine. Sled has no major defects and looks to be in overall good shape. Sled 2 is an 89 polaris 500 Indy. Pretty rough, cracked hood, torn up seat 5500 miles but does run (needs a muffler). He wants 1000 for BOTH. I think I can get him down to 900, assuming both machines run and don't leak oil is this a good deal? Anything in particular I should ask/look for? I don't even know is snowmobiles have titles.? Any input you might have would be appreciated. I have some buddies that know a little, just enough to get me into big trouble if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance.

When I am looking into buying a new sled, I tend to stay away from sleds that are older and have high miles on them. That just means possibly more work to be done to them, and additional amounts of money. Also problems on the trail or ice. It all depends how much you have in your budget to spend on one. Just a personal preference for me.

The price seems reasonable, however, if you are not familiar with sled maint/repair/troubleshooting...I think you might be biting a big sow in the arse on this deal.

Sleds this old and ridden are simply going to take alot of work.For what you want a sled for, I'd be looking for a touring type sled like a Cat Panther/Pantera.Good luck.

I would not recomend this buy. Make sure you go into this purchase knowing that ANY sled is high maintance. The newer and less miles more likely to do less maintance. I just don't see you happy with that purchace. I would rather see you save up an extra $440-600 and get someting that would serve you better. The more happy riders we can get out and about the better.

I agree....sounds like a decent price, but be ready with your tools just in case. I also tend to stay away from older sleds with higher miles..

Depending on what your looking to spend, you could fine some 98-99 sleds in the $1500-1800 range. I know I sold my 99 XC 600 SP with 2800 miles a few months ago for $1800 and it was a good running sled that did not need much of anything done to it.

Usually the newer the sled the better the suspension should be. If you are trail riding and it gets bumpy (which it does up north) a newer suspension will pay off....vs your body taking the abuse of the bumps!!

If you know someone who knows about sleds might be worth having them look at the sled for you. There are many things you probably would not find until after you purchased the sled that someone with more experience may.

I bought a new 'used' sled this year. A few things I did check and needed to replace were both the carb boots connecting the carb to the engine ($90), new coolant bottle that was warped ($30), and a few bearings on the rear suspension will need to be replaced sometime this spring and I knew when I purchased that the rear shocks will need to be rebuilt.

Also, my general thought is that if a sled looks abused, it probably was I you may want to stay away from it. Cracked hood (possibly crashed - if so did anything bend??)...beat up in general (possibley the shocks are bad, rear suspension bent?)...some things to think about.

Not to deter you from the sport, but things to be aware of as it does take money to keep the machines up. It will make you that much more happy spending the extra money and not having to fix stuff as much as you would with an older, beat up sled.....trust me!!!!

I had that exact xcr and there is a reason it is rebuilt...JUNK>>I wouldn't give him a dime for that one...as said before the 500 would be better, but I would skip it and get a newer one..It is a buyers market..

I still have exact same sled, 95 XCR 600. 5600 trouble free miles. I am the exception to the rule, however. I must have had one that was built on a Wednesday.

I would stay away from that sled. It was a great ditch banger it its day, but it rode like a lumber wagon most other situations. Many people who had that sled had crank troubles.

Its really hard to say specifically without seeing these sleds, but others that have had personal problems with that one model should be a huge red flag when its that prevalent.

Also, I totally agree that if a sled looks beat, stay away from it. These things are made tough and if they are showing enough use that you notice it, look out! On the other hand, ripped seats are about a dime a dozen so that alone wouldn't be a huge red flag to me.

I'd take a pass on these from what I know, but then again, they aren't Cat's so that was a foregone conclusion!!! grin.gif

Quote:

I'd take a pass on these from what I know, but then again, they aren't Cat's so that was a foregone conclusion!!!
grin.gif

I didn't say it. grin.gif But thats what I was thinking. wink.gif

XCR 600 is a triple/triple/triple I believe. 3 cylinders/3 carbs/3 pipes = Yuck! Keeping the 3 carbs synced and in good running order can be a handful. 3 choke cables, 3 throttle cables, etc. etc. etc.

There is a reason the manufacturers are using large displacement twins now.

The 95 XCR had the 600 monoblock triple, with one pipe and three 38 mm carbs. Basically it was a XLT motor with a port job, bigger carbs, nikasil cylinders and higher compression. You could get a thicker head gasket to drop the compression a bit so you could run lower octane fuel with out detonation. Whenever those motors let go, it gets VERY expensive.

I think they went to the combo you mention in '96 or 97.

Setterguy, for what it's worth, I'm trying to sell my sled. boilerguy_1 at yahoo (Contact US Regarding This Word) com. If your interested drop me a line.

I do agree with the fella that says if it looks rough it was probably treated that way and bring some wrenches along.

I really don't know about those particular sleds, but these are general comments from owning a couple sleds I bought used. I have Arctic Cat Wildcats - 2 of em. Same year about 10 years old. Both needed new bearings on the shaft and some new bogie wheels and a hi fax for the one . These are just things that wear out. They also needed a clutch rebuild. Same reason. So, things wear out and the guy selling it may or may not have kept it up to snuff. BIG things to think about - Carb or EFI - Have one of each - remember same model and year and everything. Swear LOTS more time at the carb model. Much harder to pull when it is zero degrees out. EFI is 2 pulls EVERY TIME. But carb also needs a battery - that went out so it needed a replacement. Carb wife and kids have a tough time pulling. Wife can't nor can 12 year old. 16 y/o can if he puts his mind to it. I can but LOTS more umph involved, esp if it has not been started for a spell.

BUY REVERSE - carb has none and EFI has reverse. Will NEVER buy another sled without it.

DRIVE THE SLED for a good test drive before you buy it. Then you discover all the bogging down problems, things that don't work like the speedo (sign the bearing might be shot) and stuff like that. Do more that a quick run. Drive it for say 30 minutes - start/stop/go slow/go fast. Revving it on the trailer will only show you so much.

Think about studs if you plan to run on ice alot.

My $.02

Capt

Thanks for all the input guys, like I said I really don't know a whole lot about them and even less about fixing them. I really don't know how much I will use it so I don't want to drop a bunch of money into something that may very well sit in the garage for the next 5 years. It sounds like there was some kind of design problem with the triple, I guess I will pass on these...I know that there will be a lot of maintenance with a used sled ecspecially one that is 10+ years old. Maybe its something that I do save a couple more bucks for and try and buy cheap at the end of the season. Thanks again for your help....

Setter you just mentioned a great point. Buying when the dealers are getting antsy about carrying stuff over to next year (even used inventory) and when the snow has all melted (like now already...) is better than in the fall or when its snowing like crazy.

I do think too that the difference between a $1000 sled and what you can get for 1500-1700 is just amazing. Granted its 50% more, but really $500 doesn't seem like a lot for the quality you will go up and the hassles you'll avoid.