• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Staying warm ??

CC Hurl

Just wanting to get some ideas on how some of us stay warm on these cold days when we have to sit very still.

I froze my but off friday night and thought there has to be a way to stay warmer. Looking for ideas on ways to keep feet from freezing. Sock, boots ect... Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

CC

You should buy some Arctic Shield Boot Warmers. I have had a pair for over a year, and finally put them to use 2 weeks ago when it was really cold. Sat from 1pm to dark, feet never got cold. Just slip these bad boys over your boots when you get settled in, don't wait until your feet start to get cold though (did that once, feet remain cold).

I think they retail around $45.

Layers and more layers!....On the feet they make a boot cover to help keep the warmth in! You dont put them on till you get into your stand! There is also a product that is like a sleeping bag, but its made to stand in... It has legs in it and you then just unzip it and take your arms out when ready to shoot. Lots of options out there! did I mention Layers!!!!!

They make a 8 hr. heat pack,in the drug section, that you can strap to your lower back. They are something like 2 for under 6 bucks. This helps me keep my core warm. I know they make them for necks and shoulders too. I think I would put them on over a layer as they really heat up. grin.gif

Besides all of the layers of polypropolene and fleece and anything else thats breathable and not cotton I use those cheap charcoal heat packs. Mill Fleetfarm carries them for .99 each. They make them to fit in your boots, some have adhesive backing so you can stick them anywhere inside your clothes. The best part is that they last for up to 12 hours. I like one in the center of my back and one on top of each thigh. I also use a hand muff with a heat pack in the center and I just wear thiner gloves. A face mask and warm hat are a must. The outside layer of clothing should be windproof but the biggest piece of advice is, and I repeat, "no cotton". It stays damp with sweat and that will eventually cool your body down.

I'm a thin guy and this is what works for me. Try it.

Nels

If you are willing to spend about $300 you can get the heaterbodysuit, I think this is the product that Deitz is refering to,they are from a company in wisconsin, available in a couple of different camo patterns. One of the keys to staying warm on stand is to avoid sweating prior to getting to your stand. For keepig your hands warm and not adding a lot of bulk to your shooting hand use a military glove liner (available from the sportsmans guide) and a fleece camo hand muff. Another product that will keep you warm is the polar wrap exchanger, this is a face mask that you breathe through a copper mesh and warms the air you breathe in, this is one item that you definately put on after you stop walking or you will overheat. The exchanger is available for about $45 to $60 from Cabelas and other fine retailers. Sorry if I sound like a commercial, just trying to let people know where to find some of the products I mentioned.

my upper body is warm hands, feet, and ears too. but I don't have any bibs. I don't feel like droping $70 on a pair of bibs. I was looking at the army surplus wool pants has anyone use the wool pants? Are they warm?

Like mentioned above, layers are key. Turtle neck(not cotton) and head sock and wool is always the warmest and quietest. If I have a long hike in I carry a back pack with my outter layers in and put them on when I get on stand. Keep your core warm and you should be fine.

Thanks for all the input. I did stop at Cabelas last night and picked up the polar ice strength shirt and a pair of the icebreaker boot blankets. Hopefully this will help me stay in the tree for longer periods of time. Thanks Again

CC

best gloves u can buy for ur hands are wool fingerless golves with the flipover mitts. but make sure theyre wool!! you wont regret them mine keep my hands tosty in minus -30 degree weather. shooting gun is no sweat shooting bow just feels diff casue of the thickness but is easily fixed with five mins of practice outside. if u have a hood on ur jacket make sure it dosent snag ur bowstring!!!!! crazy.gif

I used them boot socks, new polar strength underwear, Ice breaker hand muff with handwarmer pack and stayed in my stand three hours saturday night. Got a little chilly at the end but nothing like the weekend before. Seen twelve deer but nothing came into range. I will be hunting thursday and friday and it should be a breeze with the mild temps coming. I also brought the wait back on my bow 10 lbs. Getting ideas from you guys makes the cold days a little better on stand. I usually have got one by now but have been on new land down south and am going thrue the learning curve as to what the deer are doing and when they are doing it. Thanks Again

CC