• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gridlock at the boat ramp (or what to do about it)

musky hunter

Question

Just put the boat in the water yesterday, and fell victim to my chronic pet peeve, waiting in line while others are doing a fire drill between their boat and vehicle!

But I was there once too and am the first to admit that I need to get better. But it isn't so much about ettequite as it is about efficiency. So here goes:

Pre rig as much as you can at home, weather permitting. This means net sequre, rods in holders, tackle box in place, even strap life vests around seats. Learn to pre package the gear in the boat before you leave home.

Get Boat Buckles for the trailer! Nothing has saved me so much time as the boat buckles, the best $60 I ever spent on my boat. Straps and ropes over the gunwales are a pain.

Make a boat launch routine and do it the same way every time. Mine is raise the motor from the bow, release left boat buckle, remove transom saver, release right boat buckle, and launch. Everything else is already in the boat ready to go because I made sure of that either before I left the house or I rigged the boat away from the launch line.

Make a checklist so you don't fumble around either loading at home or at the launch.

And if you do have boat pre launch rigging or packing to do, do it away from the ramp, only pull up to it when you're rig really is ready to go.

22 answers to this question

Yes, I agree with the above. But what to do when you are fishing by yourself?

Back boat down, Tie to dock, Park Truck, then RUN back to dock and try to get boat outta way for the next guy? OR

Do you back boat down start motor, motor to shore, beach boat, then park truck and so forth?

I do a lot of fishing by myself and some times it is tough to get clear of the landing right away. However I don't sit on the ramp and undo my cover and then stow all my stuff then casually walk back to the truck several times to get "stuff" and then after doing that for like 15 mins back the boat in and hog the ramp for another 10 mins getting the motor started...saw this a couple of years ago by some In Fisherman guys.

Anyways just my 2 cents...

Happy Fishing smile.gif (FINALLY!)

Chev

Load the gear and ready the boat in the parking lot. After thats all done then your ready for the ramp.
I've found being polite when confronting ramp loaders often brings best results. Other then that take a deep breath, close your eyes and and repeat these words.
" The Grass is Green, The Sun is Warm. smile.gif

For me it all depends on the situation i have encounterd. Most lone fishermen do what they need to do fairly fast so it has never been much of an issue for me . i have problem when there is a group an they spend more time figureing out who has the beer than getting their rig into the water.. In those causes i will walk down to the launch and see if there is a place that i can use. i really dont need a concrete ramp to launch my boat and will go off road to do it if i need to.

On the other hand i will help those that need it . We should be in tune with whats going on around us to figure who who needs the help and who dont .

I can launch or load my boat in a few minutes by myself. My pet peeve is the person that is making the first attempt to start the boat at the busy ramp, not at home or some other time when the ramp is busy.

Yeah, that's typically my rule of thumb. Secure boat and then sprint a couple of miles back to the landing to get outta the way. Dang I should be in track! smile.gif

Just seeing everyones input.

Happy Fishing smile.gif
Chev

P.S. LOL at the Grass is Green... grin.gif

Ever think of offering to help some guy that is all by himself to get his boat off the trailer. That way all he has to do is back the boat trailer up and float the boat off while U take the rope and tie it up while he is parking his vehicle.
My pet pev is people who can not back their trailer up. You could give them a 3 wide ramp and they would use all 3 lanes. If U can't back your trailer into the water they how about practice in your own yard before making a complete fool of yourself and holding up the ramp.

I am not sure if anybody mentioned in their list of check lists is the boat plug. Every year I see at least 2 people back their trailer up and the plug had been out. Now that is funny.

Honest to god, the last two days at the boat ramp, a guy could have sat there with a video camera and had enough footage for a half-hour comedy show. I swear you'd make money. It's histerical. I'd love to have some of the footage. It's not just the guys who can't get her on straight. It's the hubby turning beat red with frustration and embarrassment, berating the wife, who can't back a trailer for s..t. The guy just gets redder and redder and the wife eventually gets tired of being complained at so she just pulls away and leaves him there... God it's funny. Saw the one last year up at URL, where the guy unhooked the boat prematurely and it rolled off right on the ramp... took the lower unit right out. It's kinda like watchin somebody get a hockey puck in the family jewels. You try not to laugh, but you end up bustin a gut.

g.

I saw one on Tonka last year that would have made the fun video. A group came in two cars with one large pontoon. After tying up the ramp with a Chinese firedrill for awhile, they loaded six people on board. Then the father backed it down, with the motor lowered. There was a horrible grinding sound as the motor tried to cut a groove in the concrete. The pontoon floated out in the bay as the boy holding the rope lost his grip ,and eldest son tried and failed to start the motor. Another ugly sound. Another boat threw them a rope so they could tow it back to the ramp and reload it. All in all, about twenty minutes of fun viewing, except for the people trying to load and unload.

it's kinda funny, my girl friend deceided to learn the 'art' of the ramp last summer down at lake pepin, the mississippi, and st. croix. i warned her of the evil stares, tantrums, and verbal assaults that can come along with the job. but to my surprise all the crotchety boat ramp 'huff and puffers' suddenly turned very helpful. wink.gif

Chev:
Most of the time I am alone. It's float the boat, secure to the dock, park car, and run back to boat. But I know it's going to start because I started it at home before I left. When I have someome with me, they can park the car while I motor off to the side.

The FishinLogician permitted me to "land" the craft today at Hidden Falls.

The current, she was a-flowin'(2-ways!), and the wind she was a-whippin'(got out just before the weather sirens started howlin').

It took me five approaches, and a bit of coaching from the Logician(and I was supposed to be the experienced one!).

Everybody should have to train on a river. I'll help 'em, coach 'em, counsel 'em, and console 'em for as long as it takes. It was tough today brother...at least for me....

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

I also fish alone quite often. The majority of the time my stuff never leaves the boat. When I am finished fishing for the day, I usually pack all my stuff away in the boat and get it ready for the next trip before I leave the parking lot. The more time I spend dinking around before I go fishing means less fishing time for me.
just my .02
mw

That's just it - You have got to help out!
I have been a boat owner for 3 yrs now and I can tell you that I practiced driving around my boat and trailer in the parkng lot of a park prior to my first launch.

I fish alone 90% of the time and I have a simple routine - I am 100% ready every time I go out. I un-do my straps and away I go. If the ramp is busy and I am loading my boat back up, I will not care if my boat is not 100% even on the trailer. It is usually just off by inches anyway. Ilet the next guy in as quick as possible.

You know that funny. I always offer to help out others on the landings and I fish by myself the majority of the time. But I have NEVER had anyone ask me if I could use a hand. I am one that gets everything ready before hitting the landing as to speed things up...

Hum, maybe I'm just scary looking? :o

Good Luck smile.gif
Chev

And remember to put your plug in. I saw that one at least 6 times last year. The emergency get the boat back on the trailer.

If you are not ready to launch, stay in the launch line and let those behind you go. I have done that a few times when I was by myself.

The last thing we need is idiots like I ran into(actually, he almost ran into me) last fall on Mille Lacs. He was so gun ho to launch he backed down while we were still on the dock starting the boat. My passenger had to grab his boat as it rocketed off his trailer so it would not hit mine. MORON!!

This is also one of my pet peeves.

We were doing speeches in my 11th grade English this year. The teacher gave us a topic to do ours on. She said, "Do it on one of your pet peeves."
Well wouldn't you know I did mine on the slow poky people at a boat ramp.

Last year I saw one person unhook his brand new, never used Crestliner 1650 Fish Hawk from the roller trailer before going down the ramp. Well you can guess what happened. Yep Ka-BOOM, scrape and abruptly stopping it went. Good thing the motor was all the way up.
Just to tell you guys, even though it wasn't my boat I still don't want to ever see that again, OUCH!

One other time this guy tried to back down about 10 times (Tricky Spot) and my dad was waiting for him so I could get to drive the boat on the trailer. Well the guy pulls out and drives around the landing to try it again. My dad backs down in one try, I drive the boat on, he hooks it up and drives out. It took a maximum of 20 seconds in the water. It was SWEET! The guy comes up to us and said, "Jeez, I see you guys have done this a few times." I say yes we go fishing a lot. tongue.gif

Other than that all I can say is just get in and get out as fast as you can so other people can do the same.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

My advice is to be patient and offer a helping hand. This weekend I asked a gentleman to assist me by backing in my bunk trailer in the final 3 feet and he said "no problem". I climbed in the boat, he backed me in, I floated off, I docked the boat, and I parked the truck. Without his help it would have taken a little longer. I was with my 6 yeard old son and it really helped speed up the process for me and the others waiting at the ramp.

For the guys who float their boats off .. One thing that works nice for me is i have line that i tie loosely to my truck. once boat has floated off i pull ahead slow till i can grab the rope with getting wet. pull it to the dock or beach it . remember there is 2 sides of the dock and if you use the side the landing is not on you will be out of the next guys way.Park the truck and i am gone...

Thanks Legendelite,
No matter how much practice I have done over the years (I am 45) I still am the worst backer upper in the world. I just can't seem to get it right, always takes me a couple of trys. Mom says its the Norwegian in me.

Danny

Hey OLE
I'll let my Mom know you are dissapointed in her lack of respect for the Norskys.I have told her a million times that "the Irish are not all that great", then I have to run and duck so I don't get hit with a flying cast iron pan..LOL

A few simple rules to aid those who lack simple boat ramp etiquette:
1) Patience!
2) Patience!
3) Offer to help!

If you get so upset that it takes someone a few attempts at launching the boat, then you might want to take up golf.