• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting the "goo" from stickers off

Uncle Grump

Question

Hi All

I tryed searching this forum's archive to see if this had been discussed previously - but got no hits....

I just bought a pickup and topper, and the hatch on the topper (window) has some stickers I want to remove - and the glue. I don't want to leave any residue which will attract dirt. The sticker looks like it will peel off.

I also don't know if the window is glass or some sort of plastic - so I want to make sure the cleaner won't cause the window to
fog or haze.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

UG

12 answers to this question

There are products that remove that stuff. When I bought my house the previous owners must have had a stake in 3M. They used stick on hangers for everything. We used a product called Goof-off. Worked great.

Wally H

There is some stuff called Goo Gone that you can buy in the cleaning supplies section of the grocery store that can take off all kinds of sticky stuff. Comes in a plastic bottle, and is a yellow liquid. I started using it years ago when the kids put some crayons in the washload - all white - several Dad dress shirts - Dad fuming....

I've had good success in removing stickers from all sorts of unlikely places with this stuff, so that's my vote.

Bug and Tar remover, soak up the glue area, let it sit and use a plastic putty spreader or something like that and it will come off nicely, you might want to try it on a small spot on the window, I don't think it will hurt but you might want to make sure first.

Goo gone is good, but the best I've found is called UNISOLVE. You can find it at medical supply stores.
The stuff is used by hospitals to remove the sticky glue left after removing bandages so it's non toxic (I think).
When I ran a computer depot that refurbed PC's we'd get equipment back with stickers all over them and with a heat gun and a little uni-solve soaked in we could get any label/sticker and the glue off.

Twitter

It's a little expensive but graffiti remover works great! Not shure on actual brand names but you can pick it up at most paint stores.
This is the only thing I have found that will take off the bugs that are cemented to your bumper and license plate after a long nights haul to a lake.

mw

Isopropyl alcohol and a single edge razor will work. We use it when we are taking labels off of stuff in the lab. The higher the % of alcohol the better (99% rather than 70%) or nail polish remover will also work.