• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buck activity/Calling respose

Stratosman

How many of you have started hitting the rattle bag/antlers? Anyone getting any responses? How about calling? I havn't had any luck as of yet getting anything to respond to either, may be a bit early, if so it should anly be a matter of days. Any bucks chasing does anywhere? None as of yet where I hunt. It's about that time of the year where all I think about is getting into a tree!

During the early turkey season we found numerous scrapes that were being tended daily. We also saw a couple of bucks that were legging does, but they were not ready yet. I wouldn't be surprized if the mature does have gotten started in with the breeding now so rattling should get some results. Last night I did the grunt a few times and had one buck do a hasty skirt of the area, but he was headed somewhere and didn't get too curious. I think if I had had the rattling horns along he may have stayed and checked things out.

A couple weeks ago I was able to get a hold of some doe urine that was extracted from a hot doe, only that doe, to try out.Last Friday evening I tried it out for the rfirst time. Being cautious about the stuff, I place a scent wick covered with it about seventy yards away from my stand so I could watch at a distance what the response would be and I wish that I would have put it at fifteen. So of course when I hit the field last night I realized that it was sitting on the work bench having been taken out of the pocket to wash the cammies. I am hoping to get in the woods again tomorrow afternoon/evening and try it again. But where that wick hung, there is now fresh scrape activity. And the wick never touched the ground.

Yes, the rattles and the grunt should be with you now as should a premium eostrous scent.

Hunting SE of Rochester, MN.

Last Friday I had a 2.5-3.5 buck come through early in the morning. Made a scrape behind me and then passed by.

Saturday 10/22 two differnt younger bucks were trailing does past my stand. The bucks were 50-75 yards behind the does, not pushing them, just following.

Saturday night I sat in a new stand location I hung Friday. No scrapes on Friday, but a new one within eye sight on Saturday night. Activity anyway.

I haven't had any positive responses to calling or rattling. My cousin was able to stop a buck with the antlers on Sunday night, but received no real interest as the buck only acknowledged the sound.

I have been reading this forum on a daily basis for a long time but never bothered to become a member, but it finally got to me, so here I go!

I go to college at MSU Mankato and live in a house about 3/4 mile from campus, right in town. We have a small hay field behind us that is owned by the cemetary (but is still vacant). Behind that is a big wooded ravine.

Anyway, we see deer back there all the time, but last night they put on quite a show. There were a total of 8 back there, 2 of which were bucks. The bucks, a fork and a small basket, did some fairly intense sparring for about 2-3 minutes. While they did this the does and fawns basically ran around in circles with their flags up.

After the fight the bucks went back into the woods and the does stayed and fed for quite a while. While feeding they would walk around holding their tail straight out, and periodically hunch up and [PoorWordUsage].

Man, being down here at school is really getting to me. I'm going to Ripley this weekend, I can't even concentrate on my (Contact US Regarding This Word) school work!!!

Browning - I live on Monks Ave towards the end (by the cemetery).

I do all of my hunting up by my home town of Buffalo. I go home every weekend, my grandparents have a farm that I bowhunt.

Mankato is all about studying and drinkin for me!

buffalo mn , down by 212 just wondering if you did any dove hunting down there or pheaseant hunting i went down there for dove hunting and asked for permission in a place where they excavate and i tell you doves were flying all over the place. seen alot of good deer sign down in that area too bad there isnt much public land to hunt around there

I've been bow hunting just south of Lake City. Had great response to rattling last Friday morning and evening. I've been rattling over a buck decoy. Not much response to calls. I saw 3 small bucks Friday. Passed on a 6 pointer and had a big 8 come in minutes later. I missed him at 30 yards. I'll be replaying that in my mind for a while! Like I said Friday was great but seems like all activity shut off with the warm weather now. dump.

Went out bowhunting this mornin arund 9:30 to have a mid season drive to try to get one before slug season. I was standing by a tree in the river bottom and my dad started at the beginning of the tree lne. Only saw one spike but the thng was that it came in grunting, has anyone ever had a deer run grunting when having a drive. I thought it was weird he walked in grunted 3 times then stopped and looked in the direction of my dad and then ran off. Just wonderin if u guys have ever seen this

Saturday morning I only saw one deer, a small buck. He was moving at a good pace and about 45 yards from my stand. He never slowed down but was grunting about every 5 steps. Seems he was determinied to get to whereever he was going. I think he noticed my buck decoy and was talking to him. That was the first time I'd seen a buck do that too.

I mentioned this in the SEMN topic, but on Sunday I know of three bucks that were shot at,(only one was taken) all came from being rattled in, and all came within minutes after rattling. The crappy weather and wind kept me in on Sunday morning, but I went out in the P.M., didn't see anything because it got foggy, probably should have just went out on Sunday morning. The bucks still don't seem to be responding to grunts, but if your a rattler, now is the time.

I have been hunting pretty hard the last week both mornings and evenings haven't seen much in activity. Tried rattling and calling over a decoy and still nothing. I think this warm weather has put the movement on hold, unless its at night they are moving. Saw 4 does the other morning and nothing chasing. hopefully it will pick up here soon.

They definetly seem like they are in the chase stage now and are starting to rut. I have seen very fresh scrapes and have been out doctoring them up a bit in hopes he will stay around til' I make it out there again. I was thinking of investing in a day dripper to make my job easier. Any thoughts as to how these work??

Studer....Gotta hang these things WAY up off the ground. I had one two years ago at about eight feet and actually watched a buck stand on it's back legs and just rip the tree limbs and everything until it had this down on the ground and then he just smelled it. I think they have a place, but wonder if it may become "too" much in one spot.

I haven' gotten another one since the buck incident, but have thought about it. The first one got cracked and leaks due to his over-zealousness.

Studer....Gotta hang these things WAY up off the ground. I had one two years ago at about eight feet and actually watched a buck stand on it's back legs and just rip the tree limbs and everything until it had this down on the ground and then he just smelled it. I think they have a place, but wonder if it may become "too" much in one spot.

I haven' gotten another one since the buck incident, but have thought about it. The first one got cracked and leaks due to his over-zealousness.

Had two buck come in last night after rattling. Wouldnt get close enough for a shot though. It was kinda cool, they both came in from different locations, then started snorting/stamping getting all worked up at each other.