• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

List Your Fvorite kind of Bow

Monster Buck

I presonally have owned 2 Darton's in the last year (long story on here already. Both bows are fantastic but the one that is broken is also older than me. My "new" bow is a 2000 Darton. Very smooth, very quiet and very powerful. My friend with almost $1000 into is '05 Bowtech is jealous of how my bow shoots. I spent about $400 total for my full hunting setup.

Don't pay attention to the price and only watch the brands for quality bows. Everyone here will tell you to go to an archery shop (Not Gander mountain or Dick's) and try several different bows. See which ones feel the best to you. Then see what they cost and work from there.

I've bought 6 mathews so far, currently have a Black Max2. A superb bow for the deep pocket fella's. All the mid to premium bows are great, it all comes down to which ones you're comfortable with because when the time comes it's not the bow that counts it's the hunter. For me, I wanted maximum speed for my draw length and weight so I got a Black Max2. My previous one was a Black Max.

I have got a Mathews Solocam!! Love the bow and love the setup. Definently find a bow that you are comfortable with. Shoot many bows before buying one. Go back to the one you think you like best, shoot it some more and if you want it buy it. Nothing better than being out there just hunting!!! Good Luck and welcome to one of the most rewarding sports on the planet!!!

jnel-dont jump to conclutions!!!..LOL.. I am right handed, however, left eye dominent. I taught myself to shoot left handed about 15 years ago, and have been shooting from the dark side ever since. I feel its probably the best of all worlds. My strong hand, and most steady, my right, is able to do all the aiming, my left the week one just mearly has to give me a nice clean release! I think in archery, a cross dominant vision is a huge asset!!! The only disadvantage is buying equipment. I usually have to order stuff, and have very little chance to try stuff in stores... It also doesnt help that I have a 31.5" draw length.

Deitz... You Gorilla! And I thought my 29.5 draw length was big.. I'll bet that extra leverage comes in handy when lifting those huge bucketmouths into the boat.

I'm shooting a single cam Bowtech. Quite short axle to axle, but one of the most forgiving bows I own. Flat shooting, fast and silent. I tried to like the Matthews line and shot one in bow league. However it was a "forced" feeling. When I went looking for the new stick flinger and picked up the Bowtech.. I knew. It felt like an extension of my arm. With this bow, my comfort zone has increase 10 full yards. As my +/- 35 yard, on the ground, doe harvest earlier this season can attest to.

Advice... go to a REAL bow/archery dealer. Talk to a pro and shoot a few. Forget the sports "super stores". By trying out as many as you feel necessary, you'll not only find what feels right, but also find out what doesn't. And why.

Good luck on your quest. But be warned... Bow hunting is another addiction.

Deitz,

It must work for you; didn’t I read last year that you shot a Robin Hood at like forty-yards?

After years of shooting a Darton, this summer I opened the wallet a little wider and bought an Outback. I never in my life thought a guy could consistently and accurately, place arrows in a target that was over fifty yards away.

Bow hunting is an addiction… and I will never be a recovering addict.

I have had and used Hoyt,P.S.E. and now a Mathews MQ1 for the last 4 years.I have killed deer with all of the bows.Dont get caught up in the most expensive bows as they all shoot deer.Your bow is only as good as you are,as it takes alot of pratice.Buy a good brand name bow from a good archery shop and they will set it up for you right and then pratice alot and get accurate with it.All the big brand name bows are very good,yet with little pratice none will treat you well.All the speed is great and if they are quiet and fit you well that will help.I harvested just as many deer with my old P.S.E. as I do today with my Mathews,just thought I needed a new faster,quieter bow,yet still harvest the same amount.Good luck and hunting.